PDA

View Full Version : Hopeless at Lesser Slave

EricfromGP
07-19-2012, 01:57 AM
I am embarrassed even posting this, but my fishing partner and I are having the absolute most rotten luck at Shaw's Point today, and are desperate for any advice.

Long story short, we spent roughly 5 hours in the boat today, and had one borderline legal pike. Just bizarre. I took my two girls out, figuring that I would cast while they jigged, and as soon as anyone had something, I could pass the rod off to them so they could bring it in.

Nothing. Zip. Skunked.

We went to the east of Shaw's Point Resort, (where there are always 2-4 boats hanging out), we went far east (well past Hilliards bay towards the narrow), we went just a little past Hilliards Bay, we went almost all the way to the narrow, and we also went west of Shaw's point (talk about weeds!).

OUr fishfinder broke it's underwater part, so thats long gone. We tried going by the boat's depth finder, so we could find the shelfs, but that proved useless. Another angler told us he had success at the 12 ft mark about half way between Shaw's and the narrow.

We do have GPS units though, so if anyone could share GPS coordinates of decent spots, I would be truly grateful. I am hoping the last day was just a bad fishing day in general and that business picks up.

RE: lures, you name it, we tried it. Jigs (Yellow, white, black, pink, pink sparkly, glow in the dark), spoons (5 of diamonds, red devils, other expensive ones with cool names), and anything else I had in the box. Tried them with minnows on them, and tried with out. We went out at 1pm, 4pm and 10 pm.

Thanks for any tips guys. :)

waterninja
07-19-2012, 03:57 AM
sounds like a bummer, esp. with bored children. hope you have a portable dvd player. better luck tomorrow.

BigA
07-19-2012, 07:19 AM
Sounds like you tried almost everywhere. Did you try straight out from shaws point? There is a shelf that extends straight out from the point for miles. Always had good luck there, even without a fish finder.

Gordoats26
07-19-2012, 08:17 AM
Never been to slave but the ultimate tool to locate walleye is the good old bottom bouncer with crawler harness.

Jamie Black R/T
07-19-2012, 08:17 AM
there is a 12ft flat that dumps down to 35ft east of shaws point that will be stacked with walleye right now.

just go east from the marina....its a 15 minute ride at about 20MPH...you will see boats when you get there...enjoy the fish fry.

DiabeticKripple
07-19-2012, 10:57 AM
there is a 12ft flat that dumps down to 35ft east of shaws point that will be stacked with walleye right now.

just go east from the marina....its a 15 minute ride at about 20MPH...you will see boats when you get there...enjoy the fish fry.

Heading out there today. I always have good luck there

Jamie Black R/T
07-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Heading out there today. I always have good luck there

yep we catch fish there the entire open water season. Depths will vary but somewhere in that area there will be a good concentration of walleye.

EricfromGP
07-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, greatly appreciated.

Went out again this morning for almost 2 hrs. I think we may have went too far east though; we went about 1 mile past Hilliard's bay, but now I am thinking we should be more about half way between Shaw's marina and Hilliard's bay. Anyways, we caught 2 walleye, but both were only a hair over 40cm.

DiabeticKripple
07-19-2012, 03:45 PM
I just got back. Man it sure is windy. Our 14' tinner is at the max comfortable level for the waves. If the waves were bigger it would start to register on the pucker scale.

My dad got 3 eyes, I got 1 and a pike, mom 0. 2 of dads were keepers, and one was 21". Just straight out from the second marina.

DiabeticKripple
07-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Caught this big guy tonight.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb410/DiabeticKripple/24267bd7.jpg

Tried cutbank but didn't get anything, out from the second marina was the key again