PDA

View Full Version : How windy is too windy?

coyotezh
07-19-2012, 07:43 AM
Went to lac ste Anne with my inflatable boat Tuesday morning. A little windy! Launched, but felt shaking a lot on the boat. The wave became strong when at the middle of the lake. Looked around, no one except my wife and me. Scared a little and turned back home....

I remember the weather forecast was 15km ph. So, how windy would you think not safe?

lattery1
07-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Any time I start second guessing if I should be out there or not I get the hell off the lake. I had a 3 hour trip coming back across Cold Lake a few years ago with the wife and kids laying on the floor of the boat crying. Since then I am not so brave or foolish.

Jamie Black R/T
07-19-2012, 09:41 AM
i look more at wind direction on ste anne....there are several bays to shelter yourself in if you plan according to direction.

the weather network cant predict wind speeds accurately but they often have direction figured out. use that to your advantage....launch and fish the side the wind is coming from.

dragon
07-19-2012, 10:10 AM
In my 16'0 runabout i use to call it quits if the swells at pigeon would come over the open bow. I would never fish in those conditions with my kids however. I recently purchased a 20'0 pontoon boat and have yet to be in waves that it wont take. On that note the pontoon boat is difficult to manouveur in rough chop as it always wants to turn sideways.

Walleyemagnet
07-19-2012, 10:31 AM
It depends on the lake and what direction the wind is blowing. You can generally fish on the side of the lake that the wind is blowing from, as long as there's a boat launch. Use Calling as an example: if there's a 20k wind from the north then good luck trying to even launch a boat on the south shore. Drive around the lake to the north launch though and it'll usually be reasonably calm. 20k wind from the south and the south launch is good and you can fish the south end of the lake all day as long as you keep an eye on the wind direction.

Shawnlh
07-19-2012, 11:05 AM
One of the most accurate wind forecasters I've found is here....http://www.windfinder.com/

Check it the morning before you go out for best results. I really like the forecast maps they have.

Jamie Black R/T
07-19-2012, 11:08 AM
One of the most accurate wind forecasters I've found is here....http://www.windfinder.com/

ive got a fool proof wind forecaster installed right in front of my house.

Looks like this:
http://blogs.msdn.com/blogfiles/cdndevs/WindowsLiveWriter/HappyCanadaDay_108C8/canadian_flag_3.jpg

Shawnlh
07-19-2012, 11:19 AM
ive got a fool proof wind forecaster installed right in front of my house.

Looks like this:
http://blogs.msdn.com/blogfiles/cdndevs/WindowsLiveWriter/HappyCanadaDay_108C8/canadian_flag_3.jpg

Current wind, yes, forecast, no. The 40' poplar trees in my front yard do the same.

But I want to know what the wind is going to do the rest of the day, not just what it's doing now.

TROLLER
07-19-2012, 11:34 AM
20 klm is a mild wind in so Alberta but when she starts getting to 50 you should be getting off. The larger the lake the bigger the waves become

And if a pontoon is wanting to go sidewas in the big waves then someone is destined for a rollover, sure hope the life jackets are on when that happens.

Saw one roll over on Chin lake years ago in a big wind.

Teamprotz
07-19-2012, 11:43 AM
If you're out and wind is anywhere near 50kph , well , nuff said.

Jamie Black R/T
07-19-2012, 12:05 PM
But I want to know what the wind is going to do the rest of the day, not just what it's doing now.

can you look up this weeks winning lotto numbers while you are checking wind directions for this weekend? :) PM if you dont want everyone else to see.

coyotezh
07-19-2012, 12:07 PM
It depends on the lake and what direction the wind is blowing. You can generally fish on the side of the lake that the wind is blowing from, as long as there's a boat launch. Use Calling as an example: if there's a 20k wind from the north then good luck trying to even launch a boat on the south shore. Drive around the lake to the north launch though and it'll usually be reasonably calm. 20k wind from the south and the south launch is good and you can fish the south end of the lake all day as long as you keep an eye on the wind direction.

this is a very good idea! :sHa_shakeshout:

coyotezh
07-19-2012, 12:13 PM

Check it the morning before you go out for best results. I really like the forecast maps they have.

bookmarked and thanks!

densa44
07-19-2012, 12:56 PM
It depends, on the lake, the wind direction, your boat, the load you are carrying, your power, and your ability.

There are far too many deaths in Alberta from boating accidents. If you're not sure then it is too windy, simple as that.

If you are already on the lake, pay attention to what the weather is doing, get off before it gets to you.

This applied double for duck hunters in the fall.

recce43
07-19-2012, 01:12 PM
if you are not comfortable get off the water . It all depends on the boat and your experence but dont push things . Ive been in some rough waters off cape breton working on my uncles fishing boat and ive only been scared once on the water that was here at travers ..

lippy
07-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Too windy is when you are fishing from shore and the Number 2 Len Thompson spoon you fire out there lands 15 feet behind you on the shore or when you are flyfishing and your fly rod has a 45 degree bend in it before you have started your backcast:)

Albertafisher
07-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Too windy is when you can't throw a 550 grain skagit head.