PDA

View Full Version : the elbow lake trout mock me!

climid
07-19-2012, 04:08 PM
I went to elbow lake last week and got skunked, I tried my spinning gear with even my smallest spinners, inch long jigs and some bead headed nymph. I could visually see my spinner hitting fish but not getting any bites. I was closer trying to chase them by hand!

im going back this weekend, gonna camp the night. got some really tiny blak mepps spinners, ice fishing black jigs grubs with a curly tail and some tiny floats. I am determined to tame these mountain beasts!

What do you suggest? what set up would be best for a dry fly (im thinking n elk hair caddis)

BTw, how is tombstone lake, what works well there?

Thanks for help!

Scott N
07-19-2012, 04:12 PM
I went to elbow lake last week and got skunked, I tried my spinning gear with even my smallest spinners, inch long jigs and some bead headed nymph. I could visually see my spinner hitting fish but not getting any bites. I was closer trying to chase them by hand!

im going back this weekend, gonna camp the night. got some really tiny blak mepps spinners, ice fishing black jigs grubs with a curly tail and some tiny floats. I am determined to tame these mountain beasts!

What do you suggest? what set up would be best for a dry fly (im thinking n elk hair caddis)

BTw, how is tombstone lake, what works well there?

Thanks for help!

You'll probably do a lot better with flies... elk hair caddis, stimulators, adams, humpy, etc. I would try about a size 14 or 16.

kinwahkly
07-19-2012, 07:09 PM
small nymphs, micro leeches !!!!!!

FishingFrenzy
07-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Fish early in the morning (6-8am) when the fish are rising. Size 14 elk hair caddis or other small dry, you will catch fish. Just get a small casting bubble and put the fly 2.5 feet under the bobber

Cast it out near some fish (easy sight fishing at elbow) and wait. Move your fly as needed.

slivers86
07-19-2012, 11:43 PM
All great advice. Red/yellow panthers small as they go. Also - not sure if they are fAlling right now, try ant patterns. Only thing that I've ever had them hit on the dry! Good luck, don't tear your pants like I did!!!