PDA

View Full Version : At whitemud creek tonight... A bit of etiquette would have been nice.

B-rett
07-20-2012, 12:03 AM
A friend and I head out to whitemud creek tonight to do a little bit of fishing to cure our boredom. Fishing wasn't great, creek is super dirty, the river itself looks more clear. However we went for the spot right at the mouth, we noticed a guy was there so we moved on, he was there first so we weren't gonna bother him. On our way back we noticed no one there so we checked the spot out. Fishing for about 15 minutes and we hear about 15 people coming closer to us. All of a sudden a stereo comes on. Someone yelling at their kids to stop going near the water, a dog barking and running around. Then they sit 6 feet behind us. Next thing I know one guy starts fishing 2 feet away from me, and his buddy starts fishing 2 feet away from my friend. Their daughter throwing sticks and rocks into the water, and their dog awimming on the water as well. This guy goes on to tell me how he hillbilly handfished a "monster whitefish" at that spot a couple days ago. I cannot stand arrogant people like them. We were there first, they should move on, where's the etiquette? If this guy didn't out weigh me and out number my friend and I, I'm pretty sure I would've thrown his gear into the river. We left after 5 minutes of being at that spot with them. It was terrible. I cannot wait to go camping at wabamun to get away from idiots like them. Anyone else have some horrible fishing experiences?

uplander
07-20-2012, 12:15 AM
I feel your pain I was just down in waterton and there's an inlet creek where the fishing is good but tons of people go there during the day to swim and play and what not and it's a beautiful spot so I don't blame them, so I figured wait tell 8ish and then go fish that way I wouldn't get in anyones way but low and behold every night atleast one person would come up the creek and let their dog swim across the riffle I was fishing when they could have let him swim in the lake 20 yards downstream it completely baffled me. On another night two kids came down to fish they were about 16 and they fished literally an arms length away and so I had to stop so it was rather frustrating but atleast I still caught a few fish there.

waterninja
07-20-2012, 01:34 AM
i understand your frustration but there is little you can do. i believe in the first come picks the spot and next come tries not to crowd. since the river has risen this last month and a lot of shore space is un-fishable the outflows have gotten very busy and crowded. i fish herm. regularly and so do a lot of other people and most of the time we manage to work things out. i'm glad the river is getting back to normal which opens up more shore room and also makes it easier to get to my secret (or at least less busy) spots. i have however seen some very rude, offensive and illegal behaviour but thats life in the big city, and lifes too short to fight with every idiot.

the local angler
07-20-2012, 02:58 AM
i have also encountered this and seeings how often this happens i am lead to believe that some do this on purpose knowing you will leave if you cant stand all the comotion of being crowded so they would get the spot they wanted. just my hypothisis lol

C & C
07-20-2012, 05:41 AM
Buy a super cheap fly rod and just tie a split shot on it. When people start setting up camp around you pretend to be the terrible out of control new to flyfishing and start whipping the thing around. i used to do that in BC @ steelhead season.

Graffy91
07-20-2012, 06:42 AM
A friend and I head out to whitemud creek tonight to do a little bit of fishing to cure our boredom. Fishing wasn't great, creek is super dirty, the river itself looks more clear. However we went for the spot right at the mouth, we noticed a guy was there so we moved on, he was there first so we weren't gonna bother him. On our way back we noticed no one there so we checked the spot out. Fishing for about 15 minutes and we hear about 15 people coming closer to us. All of a sudden a stereo comes on. Someone yelling at their kids to stop going near the water, a dog barking and running around. Then they sit 6 feet behind us. Next thing I know one guy starts fishing 2 feet away from me, and his buddy starts fishing 2 feet away from my friend. Their daughter throwing sticks and rocks into the water, and their dog awimming on the water as well. This guy goes on to tell me how he hillbilly handfished a "monster whitefish" at that spot a couple days ago. I cannot stand arrogant people like them. We were there first, they should move on, where's the etiquette? If this guy didn't out weigh me and out number my friend and I, I'm pretty sure I would've thrown his gear into the river. We left after 5 minutes of being at that spot with them. It was terrible. I cannot wait to go camping at wabamun to get away from idiots like them. Anyone else have some horrible fishing experiences?

That's whitemud creek for ya...

Gotta go early in the day man to have the spot to yourself...

But to answer your question, not very many people down there have any courtesy or common sense.

I usually lay all my gear around so no one fishes beside me. :D

bisonhunter
07-20-2012, 06:47 AM
I was at Murray dam years ago when I was 14 and was catching a few pike when this fellow decides as I was unhooking a small pike that he would take "my rock". I had been there a couple of hours and he had been there about an hour so it was not like the boundaries hadn't been established already. I stepped off the rock 2 feet to grab my pliers turn around and he's on my rock with a wry smile. I thought OK and waited until he casted and then I casted directly over his line and snarled us up real good. It took him 5 minutes to untangle the mess, and when he casted again I did it again. 6 casts 6 snarls, he was getting mad and informed me I had no fishing etticate. I told him I only fish with etticate when it is also applied by the others around me and to kindly give me my spot back.
He was choked but when the other half dozen people there told him he was in the wrong he finally moved. I've never experienced anything like it since happy to say. It kind of takes the fun out of fishing.

B-rett
07-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Yeah, definitely ruins the experience. When I go fishing, I want a nice quiet environment, no radios blasting horrible top 40s music. I usually fish down in the creek where there's no one, but since no one was at the mouth I thought I'd give it a try.

As well the river has gone down from last time I've been out. So there is a bit more shore space but it's a bit muddy.

Also, we went fishing under the quesnell for a bit. Two guys were out there, one didn't bother me, besides the fact he was ****ing in the river and I was downstream from him. However the other guy walked up to us and started casting two feet away from us as well. People these days...

bikerman
07-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Buy a super cheap fly rod and just tie a split shot on it. When people start setting up camp around you pretend to be the terrible out of control new to flyfishing and start whipping the thing around. i used to do that in BC @ steelhead season.
What? That's the way I fish all the time. Are u saying I'm doing it wrong?

Guitarplayingfish
07-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Went out fly-fishing last week...

Showed up to a big pool, 5 people or so fishing.. no one had caught a single thing.

As soon as I get there I started absolutely slaying fish... This was a big hole, and i chose a spot that would not interfere with anyone else, and had lots of room all around me.

Well, after about 20 casts & 10 fish (all being 16-22" cuttbows) this idiot decides that he wants to catch a fish too.. Literally walks up right beside me, and casts directly in front of me, over & over.. He didn't even get a bite... I just moved on and kept catching fish, leaving the guy to fish my spot..

He fished my original spot the rest of the time, and never even got a bite. However, he watched me catch about 15 big cuttbows.. I think he was going a little crazy inside hahaha.

I also almost got in a fight with some body-builder jerk who showed up in the middle of no-where on hte Oldman river a few years back when I was fishing.. threw sticks for his dog over & over again directly on top of my line... I went over some etiquette issues with him, and he completed ignored me and said he was in the right.I was about to throw some punches.... but a couple friends held me back, as they did not want to rescue me from a 300lb steroid freak.

Some people need to learn some damn respect.

Safety D
07-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Riverboat solves all the problems. I would never fish off shore anymore. Havent in years. To many idiots

unridaz
07-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Buy a super cheap fly rod and just tie a split shot on it. When people start setting up camp around you pretend to be the terrible out of control new to flyfishing and start whipping the thing around. i used to do that in BC @ steelhead season. :sHa_sarcasticlol: Love it!

As well the river has gone down from last time I've been out. So there is a bit more shore space but it's a bit muddy.

Did you catch anything? I was there a few days ago and felt it was soo muddy, if you weren't fly fishing, all you'd catch is a tan, or possibly sun burn :p

However I stood there for two hours In my waders and saw quite a few jumps, I was south of the bridge, away from the mouth.. picked up a pair of chest waders on kijiji and was able to get about a foot from shore, up to my waist in water... it drops off quick, as you can tell by the steepness of the banks.

SimonB
07-20-2012, 11:13 AM

That is the best idea I have ever heard !! hahahah. About two weeks ago I was trying to hook into some pikes at traverse reservoir and there was a bunch of Asian people poaching and game warden showed up and fined a lot of people and confiscated lots equipement !

I guess what goes around comes around.

ReconWilly
07-20-2012, 12:50 PM
The losers you're referring to are most likely AO forum members and i'd put money down that they've read this thread and that it will have ZERO impact on the way that they act in the future...get away from people or put up with them, theres NO fixing stupid, stupid is to stupid to know that being stupid is stupid...:sign0161:

SimonB
07-20-2012, 01:19 PM
i guess all we can do is keep our eyes open for any poaching activity and report it ...

Sponge Bob Fish Pants
07-20-2012, 02:43 PM
yeah i hear ya was out at coal lake shore fishing and this dush bag on a sea doo kept racing up and down close to the shore line, he had the whole lake but yet felt the need to screw up my time on the lake by passing so close. Believe me i wish I could have casted just a little further and givin him a little surprise via my hook lol

B-rett
07-20-2012, 03:27 PM
:sHa_sarcasticlol: Love it!

Did you catch anything? I was there a few days ago and felt it was soo muddy, if you weren't fly fishing, all you'd catch is a tan, or possibly sun burn :p

However I stood there for two hours In my waders and saw quite a few jumps, I was south of the bridge, away from the mouth.. picked up a pair of chest waders on kijiji and was able to get about a foot from shore, up to my waist in water... it drops off quick, as you can tell by the steepness of the banks.

Nope! Nothing but twigs and leaves!

And yeah when the water was real low I was walking on the creek in my boots, got almost to the middle and it drops instantly. I now know where a nice fishing spot is when it's hot out! Back when it was +35 I was still catching fish thanks to my secret!

chriscosta
07-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Light a big fire and wave some burning trees around I bet they move or light a fatty and crack some beers get a little loud and rowdy it usually thins em up but ya I got a boat so I dont deal with that crap too often

greylynx
07-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Some of our Homies on AO never worry about the NSR.

These Bros are into trofeeee wallizzz man.

One sign of trouble by some loser outside the hood brings out the black dually and, if needed, the jetboat.

Don't even bring up the secret society known as the AO Order of the Sturgeon. These guys are more scary. Stealthy and Ruthless.

St.Albert Tom
07-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Yeah, definitely ruins the experience. When I go fishing, I want a nice quiet environment, no radios blasting horrible top 40s music. I usually fish down in the creek where there's no one, but since no one was at the mouth I thought I'd give it a try.

Also, we went fishing under the quesnell for a bit. Two guys were out there, one didn't bother me, besides the fact he was ****ing in the river and I was downstream from him. However the other guy walked up to us and started casting two feet away from us as well. People these days...

This is just a suggestion, and not directed at anyone in particular but after reading the replies thus far I have noticed a common theme. First off I never knew that this was a high school forum. Secondly, all the spots that have been referenced are in parks, public places and nobody has any "right" or claim to any portion of said parks. Third and finally I don't recall any of the previous stories mentioning that the "offended" people had the maturity to let the other people know that they were "causing" a problem.

That's just my $.02

pelada trochu
07-21-2012, 12:30 AM
This is just a suggestion, and not directed at anyone in particular but after reading the replies thus far I have noticed a common theme. First off I never knew that this was a high school forum. Secondly, all the spots that have been referenced are in parks, public places and nobody has any "right" or claim to any portion of said parks. Third and finally I don't recall any of the previous stories mentioning that the "offended" people had the maturity to let the other people know that they were "causing" a problem.

That's just my $.02

I agree. Just say would you feel more comfortable if i gave you more room to fish. When they reply sure. Just say so you understand how i feel then.

pickrel pat
07-21-2012, 12:36 AM
I agree. Just say would you feel more comfortable if i gave you more room to fish. When they reply sure. Just say so you understand how i feel then.

i like this.

B-rett
07-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Well, I'm a small guy, and I would rather just leave than confront them and create a huge fight. They didn't look like they would care what I said. That's why. And yeah by all means it is a public place and everyone has equal rights to fish where they want. All I did was make a post about my experience that night. That's my 2 cents.

THERICARDO
07-21-2012, 06:00 PM
With the help of GRAFFY91 i was able to find this Whitemud creek that has eluded me for the last few months... was the day after he caught his Sturgeon in the Creek. Thanks again Graffy91!

It wasnt very busy i was fishing at the mouth where Creek flows into River. Was only 1 guy fishing ( an older Cat) when i first arrived , then a couple of City of Edmonton Vans showed up with 40-50 kids all with fishing rods and lead weights on end no lures to learn how to cast. Thought it was great to see so many kids excited to fish, part of camp experience one of the guys was saying. Either way they were at shore for about 2 hours and left.

Then people started to show up, no one crowded me. Couple guys tried to fish right next to me but I have a year old Cane Corso that weighs 118lbs and wasn't too fond of people crowding his space so they moved faster than anything i have ever seen haha My dog loved the older cat i was fishing next to and he laughed anytime someone tried to get close.

Just always going to bring him and dont see any issues with people being too close. Super friendly and obedient dog, just breed nature to be unsure of strangers and crowd his space without me being ok with it..

Lots of off leash dogs i noticed but is that an off leash area? CTV was also present doing the story on the dog that was attacked by the Beavers..

Ricardo

trigger7mm
07-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Once at Moose Lake, there were some goofs watersking right beside where we we trying to fish. They had the whole lake, but kept going by us about 25 yards away. I put a big old Len Thompson spoon on, gave them a good lead on the next pass, and put it right in the skiboat. Talk about spooling off a reel in a hurry, but they got the hint and didn't come back.

iamkorean
07-23-2012, 03:17 PM

So to avoid people like those (you've seen), got myself a small boat. out on a small lake where people were shore fishing. Dead quiet all around the lake for a while until I hooked a small trout /but feels like a monster on UL on4lb test/. After letting it go, I hooked another one (a bit stoner), pumping up and splashing ... felt good since it was still quiet around the lake.

then, *****... I was the live CASTING TARGET !! people were casting their sinker/ or whatever they think they'll catch trout with right towards me. couple of guys actually dropped about 3 feet from where I was.

Had my both arms open to express ' what are you trying to catch? '...

so ... some people huh ?

pickrel pat
07-23-2012, 03:26 PM
So to avoid people like those (you've seen), got myself a small boat. out on a small lake where people were shore fishing. Dead quiet all around the lake for a while until I hooked a small trout /but feels like a monster on UL on4lb test/. After letting it go, I hooked another one (a bit stoner), pumping up and splashing ... felt good since it was still quiet around the lake.

then, *****... I was the live CASTING TARGET !! people were casting their sinker/ or whatever they think they'll catch trout with right towards me. couple of guys actually dropped about 3 feet from where I was.

Had my both arms open to express ' what are you trying to catch? '...

so ... some people huh ?

your on a lake with your boat and you are fishing within casting distance of the shore fisherman spot? the shore fishermen should be the ones choked with you! or was it other people in boats casting at you?

ogre
07-23-2012, 04:24 PM
your on a lake with your boat and you are fishing within casting distance of the shore fisherman spot? the shore fishermen should be the ones choked with you! or was it other people in boats casting at you?

:party0052:

Isopod
07-23-2012, 07:25 PM
First off I never knew that this was a high school forum. Secondly, all the spots that have been referenced are in parks, public places and nobody has any "right" or claim to any portion of said parks. Third and finally I don't recall any of the previous stories mentioning that the "offended" people had the maturity to let the other people know that they were "causing" a problem.

I disagree. Most people know that they shouldn't crowd people and so are doing it intentionally to get the person to leave. If the person seemed like a total noob then maybe they might be unaware, but otherwise I believe it is intentional. The two times I have actually challenged someone who moved up and began fishing right beside me, one guy told me "Nah, there's lots of room here" even though that trapped me fishing between him and my buddy so all I could do was cast straight out, not up the channel. And the other time the fellow just said "the fishing is better where I was than where he had been fishing" and similarly ignored me. I've tried the reasoned approach twice and it accomplished absolutely nothing. Those people were being *****holes and I hope karma paid them a visit.

SnoochyBoochy
07-23-2012, 11:47 PM
1000000 + people... Im surprised we even have room to stand on a shore never mind cast. One just has to hope the people around are decent at casting. one night it ws so busy at a spot i frequent that I had one guy 1 foot from me and one guy casting directly over my head hahahahha. No problems! its not bad to cast over someones line if your not a complete moron.
Everyone has their ideal fishing experience but in a city its not feesible sometimes, I dont like people smoking dope around me but you live and let live!

Cheers
Snooch :acigar:

tight line
07-25-2012, 12:01 AM
This is why i spend Large amounts of money on gas and fish as far away from civilization as i can get! Lol

I realize not everyone can do this, but when you are fishing in the city/town you gotta expect to run into the odd *****hole! Doesnt make it acceptable though...

Nait Hadya
07-25-2012, 08:44 AM

"Etiquette" is defined under the wildlife act,section 47 I think. Don't be afraid to evoke it.

NSR Monger
07-25-2012, 09:24 AM
whitemud creek is brutal, glad the water dropped a bit so i can get back to my other spots