PDA

View Full Version : Cutthroat Help

Coniferous
07-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Going south for cutthroats on the forestry trunk (Livingstone) for the forst time and have little knowledge on which flies to use. Dry or Wet?

slingshotz
07-20-2012, 05:41 PM
I have the best luck for cutties always on big floating stimulators. Use the hopper dropper method to double your chances.

http://blog.riverwoodfliesonline.com/?p=1453

Ronbill
07-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Was down near there last weekend and the water is dropping and clear enough that dry fly fishing should turn on. It's a bit early for hoppers but a small stimulator rigged hopper-dropper style may work. Otherwise start with #16 Adams or parachute Adams unless you note other mayflies coming off the water. Another good bet especially during mid day when flies aren't hatching off is a #16 or #18 black ant. The #16 parachute ant has been very good for me on the Livingstone mid-day.

bikerman
07-21-2012, 07:28 AM
Was down near there last weekend and the water is dropping and clear enough that dry fly fishing should turn on. It's a bit early for hoppers but a small stimulator rigged hopper-dropper style may work. Otherwise start with #16 Adams or parachute Adams unless you note other mayflies coming off the water. Another good bet especially during mid day when flies aren't hatching off is a #16 or #18 black ant. The #16 parachute ant has been very good for me on the Livingstone mid-day.

Was there on Wed, put on a great big foam hopper that I found in the afternoon and caught 3 big ones before the 4th stole the fly(my last one of course). Clear water and good dry fly fishing from noon on. Good luck.

Pikebreath
07-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Catching a cutt on a nymph is like kissing your cousin, fun enough but you're not sure if you should be doing it!!!

Cutts were made for dry flies, and if the water is clear enough, low enough and warm enough, they will accomodate.

Here's a tip, unless they are rising in the pools, it can be tough to bring a fish up several feet for a dry fly,,,, so when you come to a pool, concentrate the heads, bankside and tail ends,,, Better yet spend more time fishing the water most anglers ignore, the boulder gardens, runs and riffles,,, Look for 1 - 3 feet of water along the edges, behind rocks, shelves etc, anything that can provide a break in (or slow down) the current. The fish are in there and these fish generally don't have the opportunity to be picky, so they tend to come to a prospecting dry fly very readily.