PDA

View Full Version : Boat Registration?

bullgetter
07-21-2012, 07:11 PM
I bought a 14 foot boat yesterday with a 25 hp Mercury on it. I thought you had to register any boat over 10hp. Called transport Canada's toll free number and the auto attendent said pleasure craft no longer need to be registered. Is this true and if so when did it happen? Anyone know about this?

Sloughsharkjigger
07-21-2012, 07:18 PM
I bought a 14 foot boat yesterday with a 25 hp Mercury on it. I thought you had to register any boat over 10hp. Called transport Canada's toll free number and the auto attendent said pleasure craft no longer need to be registered. Is this true and if so when did it happen? Anyone know about this?

Nope.... Have not heard anything like that. In fact I Just received my registration last week for a new rig. Can't see why they would still be giving out registrations if they called it off.

Big Sky
07-21-2012, 07:20 PM
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-3211.htm

You need the licence. All of your questions should be answered at this web page.

Congrats on the new rig.

prodogg02
07-21-2012, 07:31 PM
i just bought a new boat as well an was told u need the coast guard reg numbers as its like the licenss plate for the boat .they did it for free at river side

Kim473
07-22-2012, 07:26 AM
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-3211.htm

You need the licence. All of your questions should be answered at this web page.

Congrats on the new rig.

Good link. Thx for posting.

Bigdad013
07-22-2012, 07:55 AM
Got pulled over by the RCMP on the water a couple of weeks ago, not only do you need the numbers on the boat, they want the registration documents onboard as well. Luckily I had both. I asked how come, and they said, one reason, alot of people buy used boats, they have the numbers on the boat but never register their names to the boat.

bullgetter
07-23-2012, 06:41 AM
I'm going to call again this week and try to talk to an actual person. The message clearly stated you no longer have to register pleasure craft but they do encourage it. I've never heard of anyone being checked for it before.

ViperV7
07-23-2012, 06:51 AM
Anything over 10hp needs to be registered regardless of length. Why waste your time on the phone. Just register it it's free. That's why they make 9.9 motors.

billie
07-23-2012, 08:39 AM
The difference is in the terminology.

The law requires all pleasure craft powered by 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more engine, to have a pleasure craft licence, unless they have a vessel registration.

Registration is a title system for ownership of vessels. It is similar in nature to title systems used for land registry. Registration allows for name approval, mortgage registration and proof of ownership except in the case of a vessel registered in the Small Vessel Register. Every vessel other than pleasure craft must be registered.

The link from Big Sky clears it up under "Paperwork".

bullgetter
07-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Transport Canada finally calld me back to answer my questions. Basically you do not have to "register" a pleasure craft anymore. You still can but it is a $250 fee. Now you must get what they call a "pleasure craft licence". You can get one online and there is no fee. You will be given an operators number and you have to display this on the boat still. Anything under 10 hp motor you do not have to worry about. So not much of a change just the terminology.