PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a quantum reel repaired?

Coreyh
07-23-2012, 08:42 AM
The reverse lock on my reel quit working. I am well past the warranty. Is there anywhere near Edmonton that I can take it to get repaired?

Thanks,
-C

Geezle
07-23-2012, 08:47 AM
Reel Doctor :)

Coreyh
07-23-2012, 08:58 AM

Thanks Geezle

Bound2Fish
07-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Or give Cleanguy22 a PM, I think he is a Quantum rep and should be able to point you in the right direction as well.

Steven Noel
07-23-2012, 09:27 AM
I had both of my quantum ultralights do that to me last trip out, so I've been wondering that myself. I have one of them sitting completely dissasembled on my desk right now.

Coreyh
07-23-2012, 10:24 AM
I had both of my quantum ultralights do that to me last trip out, so I've been wondering that myself. I have one of them sitting completely dissasembled on my desk right now.

I did the same thing... Took it all apart (didn't see anything obviously wrong) put it back together.... Same problem

chriscosta
07-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Every single quantum reel ive owned has eventually had the same fate as yours id say get a different brand ive done my best to forget about that switch all together since its happened so often but I now realize the mitchell reel I bought 8 years ago is fine and I buy new quantums often and dont even have any workable ones

ReconWilly
07-23-2012, 04:34 PM
No offence to quantum owners, but LOL at quantum reels...NEVER again, i have 4 quantum "parts" reels, i have zero interest in ever having them fixed, hey it only took 4 times before i learned, so LOL at me too!!

gl2
07-23-2012, 08:23 PM
No offence to quantum owners, but LOL at quantum reels...NEVER again, i have 4 quantum "parts" reels, i have zero interest in ever having them fixed, hey it only took 4 times before i learned, so LOL at me too!!

thats a mighty broad statement about a bunch of reels in a bunch of different price ranges. i have some quantum's that i would put up against anything you have...but hey to each their own.

Rikkles Fisher
07-23-2012, 08:30 PM
I've had nothing but terrible luck with quantums they are not my favorite that for sure.

gl2
07-23-2012, 08:33 PM
I've had nothing but terrible luck with quantums they are not my favorite that for sure.

just wondering what models some of you guys are unhappy with? are we talking removing plastic wrap or behind the glass at the fishing store?

Coreyh
07-23-2012, 09:03 PM
just wondering what models some of you guys are unhappy with? are we talking removing plastic wrap or behind the glass at the fishing store?

x2.
It was on sale for $140 when I bought it (Catalyst pti 10). I've had this reel for at least 5 or 6 years have done everything but take care of it. Its the first and only "nice" reel that I've ever used or owned, and I have been happy with it. Given the abuse its taken it was inevitable that something was going to pooch out.

gl2
07-23-2012, 09:13 PM
x2.
It was on sale for $140 when I bought it (Catalyst pti 10). I've had this reel for at least 5 or 6 years have done everything but take care of it. Its the first and only "nice" reel that I've ever used or owned, and I have been happy with it. Given the abuse its taken it was inevitable that something was going to pooch out.

if you go to quantumfishing.com and look under service warranty they have a selection. choose your model (pti a,b,c) and order the part you need. it shows instructions on how the whole reel goes together and every part you need.

i just bought 2 catalyst ptic's last week and its a super slick reel with a extra spool to boot.

good luck.

Monster Pike Man
07-23-2012, 09:13 PM
I also have a quantam catalyst. Love it. I would take it to the reel doctor. I have dealt with them before

Coreyh
07-23-2012, 09:15 PM
I dropped it off at the reel doctor this afternoon. 1 week turnaround they said

Alberta Bigbore
07-23-2012, 09:29 PM

Ive never had an issue with any Quantums when I was running the high end. But now run High end Shimanos.

I did find though... I had a Quantum Cabo that seemed a bit crunchy lol

gl2
07-23-2012, 09:35 PM
I dropped it off at the reel doctor this afternoon. 1 week turnaround they said

good stuff. i am also like you, i never clean my gear and it gets beat up pretty bad and my quantum's have surpassed my expectations. too many people out there only willing to pay 50 bucks for a reel and jump on a company when it doesn't preform like a 300 dollar reel.

did the reel doc give you a quote to fix the reel?

chubbdarter
07-23-2012, 09:54 PM

usually i like opening a clam pack

Ive never had an issue with any Quantums when I was running the high end. But now run High end Shimanos.

I did find though... I had a Quantum Cabo that seemed a bit crunchy lol

how much does moderating pay you to be able to afford Stellas ?

Coreyh
07-23-2012, 09:57 PM
good stuff. i am also like you, i never clean my gear and it gets beat up pretty bad and my quantum's have surpassed my expectations. too many people out there only willing to pay 50 bucks for a reel and jump on a company when it doesn't preform like a 300 dollar reel.

did the reel doc give you a quote to fix the reel?

No they didn't quote anything. I didn't ask, either, though. To be honest, she wouldn't even commit to them being able to fix it.... "maybe" was all she would say.

Alberta Bigbore
07-23-2012, 10:04 PM
usually i like opening a clam pack

how much does moderating pay you to be able to afford Stellas ?

Not bad, Rob just paid off my credit cards and put new tires on the AO Mod truck.

chubbdarter
07-23-2012, 10:35 PM
No they didn't quote anything. I didn't ask, either, though. To be honest, she wouldn't even commit to them being able to fix it.... "maybe" was all she would say.

have it repaired at any cost if its a ptia. we wont see a better reel come along for some time im quessing...good luck

Not bad, Rob just paid off my credit cards and put new tires on the AO Mod truck.
if any reel manufacturer built a St Croix blue reel youd buy it....lol.......purse has to match the shoes

Alberta Bigbore
07-23-2012, 11:03 PM
have it repaired at any cost if its a ptia. we wont see a better reel come along for some time im quessing...good luck

if any reel manufacturer built a St Croix blue reel youd buy it....lol.......purse has to match the shoes

:love0025:

Wes_G
07-23-2012, 11:15 PM
I currently have the same problem with mine, contacted the reel doctor and i was informed they no longer make parts for the first generation line of PT reels, but they did have a fix for it. It was still going to cost me 20 bucks plus shipping to Edmonton though. I havent sent it yet, I wasnt sure if it was worth it or if I should just buy a new reel.

Geezle
07-24-2012, 02:03 AM
[COLOR="Red"]if any reel manufacturer built a St Croix blue reel youd buy it....lol.......purse has to match the shoes

Holy crap! Bwahahahahahaha! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Rascal4now
07-24-2012, 08:05 AM

x2

sureshot
07-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Get rid of the quantum and by an Abu Garcia reel. I bought the Black Max and it has been put through its paces still works likes new even after my boat battery fell on it.

Andy

Stugeogarcia
07-25-2012, 08:48 AM
You don't !

Coreyh
07-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Got my reel back today! Much sooner than expected, and very reasonably priced. I will certainly be taking my reel back for regular "tune ups". Feels better than it ever has now.

schmedlap
07-26-2012, 09:35 PM
On this whole topic...? We live in a disposable society. There's no question that you generally get what you pay for. I have a very expensive (at the time) old Shimano and Berkely "phaser" rod, in "light" that have survived 30 years of stream fishing (everything from the Bow to tiny creeks), and walleye jigging, and a lot of "neglect" with no problems at all. My sons laugh at my trolling rig for pike, wherein the reel is an ancient Mitchell (my Dad acquired it in the 60's, and I don't think it has ever sufferred "maintenance" of any kind - then again it was "expensive', basic, and has no plastic parts). It is simplistic and nothing likely to break (?).
My sons, until lately when they recognized the difference, had a succession of cheap reels and rods. They are "hard" on the gear, and it was easy to just consign to the dump when it quit. But, amongst all that, the very cheap Quantum reels thay have had were very clearly the best of that genre, in every sense. They way exceeded my expectations for "junk". I still have a couple of them ($20 each) in my reel bag as backups if the "fancy" ones fail. Of course, such things (like your micowave) cost more to fix than replace. But it depends what you are looking for. One of my sons has a new Quantum that cost about $65 and is every bit as good, in any sense, as the much more expensive other makes in my collection. Now, maybe, it won't be as durable, but then we won't feel that bad about "retiring" it to the local landfill as we would about the more "fancy" stuff.
It is pretty amazing, in context, that there is still anyone around who would fix anything for $50. So if you figure in your time to deal with it, and the benefits of "new", I am not going to crap on "Quantum" at all. If you acquire something of "premium" nature, then it may be worth fixing, and maintenance costs. Otherwise,, it is just not worth the effort any more (?), which is why we don't have a lot of options for repair. I suspect that the "Reel Doctor" is more of a hobby than a business, in any capatalistic sense (?).

JohninAB
07-26-2012, 09:58 PM
if any reel manufacturer built a St Croix blue reel youd buy it....lol.......purse has to match the shoes[/QUOTE]:sHa_sarcasticlol:

LMAO! Too funny.

I run nothing but Quantums and never have missed a beat with any of them.

In fact have given a certain moderator on this forum many a lesson on the lake with them!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Wes_G
07-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Got my reel back today! Much sooner than expected, and very reasonably priced. I will certainly be taking my reel back for regular "tune ups". Feels better than it ever has now.

How much did it end up costing you? Like I said, same problem with mine, but debating on just buying a new reel. Its hard though because this is my favorite reel.

Coreyh
07-26-2012, 11:47 PM
$30 for the repair and a service/ tune up- inclusive of tax