PDA

View Full Version : Minnows vs. Smelts

trapshooter
07-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Is there a difference, does one work better then the other? You can buy a HUGE bag of smelts at superstore for cheaper then minnows. What do you think?

Guitarplayingfish
07-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Is there a difference, does one work better then the other? You can buy a HUGE bag of smelts at superstore for cheaper then minnows. What do you think?

Unfair question...
They both have their place and time...

BeeGuy
07-23-2012, 02:34 PM
No contest.

Minnows.

If there is a baitfish ban sometimes smelts and other ocean goers are the only option.

npauls
07-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Minnows for sure.

If you can match up the exact bait fish the predators are targeting then you have a way better chance at hooking into them.

trapshooter
07-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Which one do you think would work better at PCR? I am heading out for the first time there on Wednesday.

BeeGuy
07-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Get a tub of Big-zee minnows (canadian tire), cut them into thirds and put them on a bait hook with a split shot 18" above.

A tub will last forever this way. Using a jig with a whole minnow works equally well, but they are like piranhas in there.

I bet you could do well with just a brightly coloured jig head and nothing else.

Oh, take your ice rod too, and make it a challenge.

npauls
07-23-2012, 11:57 PM
You could go baitless for sure in there and still catch fish. It won't be as many but you will still catch plenty.

If you want to save some cash buy a bucket of minnows and buy a bag or 2 of the gulp minnows.

Use the minnows to get into the bite and if you are getting a ton of fish switch to a gulp minnow and see how they do. I have been doing the same thing this year and have saved a bunch on the cost of bait.

Geezle
07-24-2012, 02:08 AM
Unfair question...
They both have their place and time...

X2 depends on context to a point.

I've never fished PCR, but it sounds like any chunk of meat will do the trick. That being said, the smelts will give you a good bang for your buck, and you can always use the leftovers for pike fishing in the winter :cool:

slivers86
07-24-2012, 02:38 AM
Which one do you think would work better at PCR? I am heading out for the first time there on Wednesday.

minnows 100%

as beeguy said, the cdn tire minnows work wonders.

Worms also work well at PCR... Fish near the bridge, south side. Its a pretty good spot over the crowded dock. Also, the rocks on the south side of the resevoir are usually fishing alright!

Speckle55
07-24-2012, 09:45 AM
In Europe they use 3 to 5# suckers for Pike
when fishing Black Marlin they used how big of bait
when fishing Muskies the lures are how big

i have Raps that are bigger than smelts

its just a choice as long as you are fishing you never know

but if you are playing the % for big fish go with the smelt this was caught on a smelt

Food for Thought
David

pelada trochu
07-24-2012, 12:37 PM
In Europe they use 3 to 5# suckers for Pike
when fishing Black Marlin they used how big of bait
when fishing Muskies the lures are how big

i have Raps that are bigger than smelts

its just a choice as long as you are fishing you never know

but if you are playing the % for big fish go with the smelt this was caught on a smelt

Food for Thought
David

What was the length of that one

trapshooter
07-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Ok, I was thinking of just using a minnow on a jig. Will that work? I will be in a boat.

slivers86
07-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Ok, I was thinking of just using a minnow on a jig. Will that work? I will be in a boat.

Just use a minnow on a larger baithook. Hook the FROZEN minnow through the eye pull the hook through, than hook through the tail. Use a slip bobber and set it on the bottom, and bring er up about a turn on the reel. Watch the bobber and set the hook. could catch 100 walleye easily per day there if you are steady at it. Last time I was there got 20 ish in a couple hours

npauls
07-24-2012, 07:06 PM
A jig and a minnow vertical jigged from a boat will produce tons of fish.

Fire me a pm if you want a spot I found a few years ago that produced tons of fish and is away from most of the crowds.

Jbone
07-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Jig and minnow, if you can't catch tons of walleye out of there you're really doing something wrong

whitetailman
07-24-2012, 07:31 PM
I've bought the big bag of smelts they call them from superstore. there about the size of minnows.