PDA

View Full Version : Spruce Coulee update

Shawnlh
07-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Some of you may recall when I said SRD had dropped four 200' gill nets in Spruce Coulee last Tuesday. Well, I called them the following Thursday to see what the results were, but no one was available. However, they were kind enough to return my call today. Spruce does indeed still have walleye. Biggest he found in the nets measured in at 62cm, and said they were the fattest walleye he's ever seen. Good news is they found no small walleyes, seems they are not reproducing. So they don't have to kill the lake.....again! He also said there were several brookies around the 20" mark, also quite fat, figuring 5-6lbs.

2 species, one nice little lake. Looks like it might be fun hunting down the fatties out there. I always wanted to catch an eye on a fly rod. Just thinking, if there are that gorged out, it may be tough to convince them to snack on a lure. Let the games begin!!

FYI, limit on eyes is 3, no size restriction. Can anyone say shore lunch!!

chubbdarter
07-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the report, interesting info.
get the Fish Crisp ready

lone wolf
07-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Good news on the walleye, and the fact that they are not reproducing.

Kids and I have been there quite a few times, and the lake is literally teeming with minnows,. It is no wonder that the fish in there are healthy and well fed. Definitely on my radar for fly fishing in the fall. One of the most scenic lakes there is in this corner of the province.

npauls
07-24-2012, 12:05 AM
Is Spruce no motors allowed?

I may be out in the hills in 2 weeks and will drag the walleye boat out there if I am allowed to run it in there. If not I may have to take the row boat or pontoon and see if I can get into a few eyes or some solid brookies.

pikergolf
07-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Is Spruce no motors allowed?

I may be out in the hills in 2 weeks and will drag the walleye boat out there if I am allowed to run it in there. If not I may have to take the row boat or pontoon and see if I can get into a few eyes or some solid brookies.

No motor's at all, you'd have to take a couple of back and forth's to turn a walleye boat around in there. lol

npauls
07-24-2012, 12:20 AM
Dang I wasn't even going to fire up the big motor. I was just going to use the trolling motors and fish finders to try and get into some eyes.

I don't have a portable sonar set up so I guess I will have to fish it blind if I end up making it out there.