PDA

View Full Version : New Fly Rod...Yeah!! But what's up with the Bow?

Shawnlh
07-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Went to Calgary today, picked up a new 5wt TFO BVK rod. Freakin' Awesome rod btw:) And I have to give Ken @ Springbrook, and the great folks at Fish Tales Fly Shop a thumbs up.:happy0034:
I had some time to kill before heading back to the Hat, so I went down to the Bow by fish creek park to test out the new rod. Didn't catch anything, but I was VERY impressed the way the rod handled, even in that stinkin' wind. I was however thoroughly disgusted with the amount of litter that was constantly floating by. I haven't fished the Bow since the late 80's, but I couldn't believe how much garbage was in the water. Is this normal??

JReed
07-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Unfortunately it's a sad reality of the bow river, you can thank all the drunk/stoned idiots that float down the river during the summer months

zabbo
07-24-2012, 07:00 AM
Unfortunately it's a sad reality of the bow river, you can thank all the drunk/stoned idiots that float down the river during the summer months

Them and a whole lot of people that live and party by the Bow in downtown!!! :angry3:

NUK SOO KOW
07-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Litter is a problem every where, just hiked to some backcountry lakes this weekend, beautful pristine land, and ended up packing out water bottles and granola wrappers!! Made me angry! Our oldman river in Lethbridge is the same, the amount of tubers the last few years is insane!! I float it myself, its fun but come on people!! Take the garbage with you!!

I also have two BVK rods, a 3wt and a 6wt, and yes they are awsome rods!! They are very powerful rods, my 3wt handles the wind pretty good but that 6wt is just crazy!! Just picked up a Grey's x-flite 5wt, going to pick up reel right away and give that one a go!

Thinlizzy
07-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Thats sad about the rivers! I was in 4-H when I was growing up and we would have the highway clean up day once a year. I never throw anything out the window nor would I dare throwing it in a river. WTF???:angry3:

BeeGuy
07-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Went to Calgary today, picked up a new 5wt TFO BVK rod. Freakin' Awesome rod btw:) And I have to give Ken @ Springbrook, and the great folks at Fish Tales Fly Shop a thumbs up.:happy0034:
I had some time to kill before heading back to the Hat, so I went down to the Bow by fish creek park to test out the new rod. Didn't catch anything, but I was VERY impressed the way the rod handled, even in that stinkin' wind. I was however thoroughly disgusted with the amount of litter that was constantly floating by. I haven't fished the Bow since the late 80's, but I couldn't believe how much garbage was in the water. Is this normal??

It's just the Bow River Jelly Fish Hatch. (mostly grocery bags, but the odd diaper).

The high water really gets the trash moving.

skain11
07-24-2012, 01:18 PM
While I hit up the bow quite often and although I too hate the fact that some people do not respect their environment I don't think they differentiate where they litter i.e. highways, campsites, alleys etc...remember that the Bow and it's tribs ( especially the elbow) flows through several bedroom communities, native reserves and then 1.2 million Calgarians most of whom never actively engage with the river. I get more upset when I see a single disgarded piece of garbage on a remote alpine stream...jaded and conditioned I guess...ironic that some folks ensure they eat healthy (granola example) yet do not think they have a responsibility to provide the slightest assistance in environment sustainability...