PDA

View Full Version : Gopher trapping

rbnightmare
04-15-2008, 07:36 PM
I live here in southern alberta and i have three gopher traps. I am putting them down the holes, but some of the holes are not the biggest. These traps are filling the holes halfway, and i dont want to keep the traps out of the holes because i have dogs and i dont want them to get trapped. Is there any good way to be able to trap them and get three of em in the traps every day?

Da Jimmer
04-15-2008, 09:00 PM
I ain't a genius, but perhaps would putting chicken wire around the hole keep your dogs out of trouble good enough to alow traps outside the hole?

7 REM MAG
04-15-2008, 09:47 PM
use a small garden trowel and make the holes a little biggger

bullgetter
04-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Forget the footholds and set snares. You can set dozens of snares using the cheap brass wire tied to a stake. I think we used to make an inch and a half loop right in front of the hole. Don't have to worry to much about non targets.

nube
04-16-2008, 01:23 PM
How about save some time and just buy a 22 and go shoot them? If you have problems I'm sure if you don't want to do it there are a pile that would love to go do it for you

Da Jimmer
04-17-2008, 06:46 PM
I got a itchy trigger finger that has a sweet spot for gophers (shootin' em' that is)!!!! :lol:

Okotokian
04-17-2008, 08:31 PM
How about save some time and just buy a 22 and go shoot them? If you have problems I'm sure if you don't want to do it there are a pile that would love to go do it for you

Yeah, but that damages the pelts and makes them worthless :lol: ;)

Da Jimmer
04-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Ya, but at least ya still get 2-5 cents per gohper tail at the county office! 2-5 CENTS!!!! Thats only 50 to 80 gophers and you got another box of ammo! What a deal! lol

buckfever
04-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Ya, but at least ya still get 2-5 cents per gohper tail at the county office! 2-5 CENTS!!!! Thats only 50 to 80 gophers and you got another box of ammo! What a deal! lol

they still pay you per tail???

Da Jimmer
04-17-2008, 10:14 PM
I think they still do it. May be in only some areas though, I'm not 100% sure. My grandpa told me they use to pay ya for every pair of crows feet ya brought in too. They don't do that anymore, but it would be nice.

Okotokian
04-17-2008, 11:13 PM
My grandpa told me they use to pay ya for every pair of crows feet ya brought in too. .

I'm coming into the county office then. I've got a good set. :lol:

Da Jimmer
04-19-2008, 10:08 AM
:huh:

Eager_Beaver
04-21-2008, 08:32 PM
put the traps upside down on top of the holes and they will poke their heads in to try and move it and it will kill them instantly also. good luck

Baitcaster
04-21-2008, 08:57 PM
I have used a bow to shoot them. The arrow most times will glide accross the ground catching even just the peekers. Keeps you in the good books with the neibours also.

fluxcore
05-02-2008, 10:48 PM
I use full camo and face paint then its all about who can wait out who. As soon as the gopher pokes out its head I unload a full clip just to make sure ive done my job I sleep better at night knowing that.
PS. at close range multiple 7.62x39 rounds will get the job done:cool:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-03-2008, 12:38 AM
I use full camo and face paint then its all about who can wait out who. As soon as the gopher pokes out its head I unload a full clip just to make sure ive done my job I sleep better at night knowing that.
PS. at close range multiple 7.62x39 rounds will get the job done:cool:

THATS FRIGGEN COOL

Bushmaster
05-03-2008, 07:19 AM
And if you really wanna get redneck, use your fishin' rod!! Chase one down a hole, put a loop of line over the hole and back up and wait till he pops up enough to set the loop. They actually put up a pretty good fight.

rbnightmare
05-05-2008, 11:08 AM
I live by Nobleford, where would my county office be? Or would I just go to the town office?

trouble
05-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Bushmastger nothing really to do with the subject but lsiten to this.....I went fishing rednecks this weekend. At a friends branding tie an old milwauke on a string and i got some drunk hic come a runnin it was great.

jasonburrows
09-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Go to a gopher mound, take about a 1/4'' steel rod, poke around the outside of the mound until you find the tunnell, then take a shovel and clear the mound, dig a hole down flush with the tunnell, clear dirt from tunnell, place your leg trap in the hole so its flush with the bottom of the tunnell, stake the trap chain with the rod, cover the hole with thick black plastic and lightly cover with dirt, when hes heading through the tunnell he won't know what hit em, just lift tarp to check trap, make sure no sun gets into the trap hole or theyll backfill it in from the tunnell, thats how dad used to do it works good. Only takes a few minutes to set, I just blast em with the .17

Okotokian
09-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Why? seems as interesting as fly trapping. Shoot the little buggers for target practice.

nickysam
09-25-2008, 03:35 AM
Trapping is a very effective means of reducing gopher problems.Gophers primarily use their teeth and huge front claws to excavate their burrows. Their tunnels are larger in diameter and deeper than those excavated by moles but are much less extensive. The mound of excavated soil at the tunnel entrance can also provide a clue as to the culprit. The entrance hole to a gopher burrow is at an angle to the ground surface.
---------------------
Nickysam

viral marketing (http://www.drivenwide.com)

rbnightmare
11-05-2008, 07:19 PM
I trapped something like 8 females this spring, and they were each pregnant, and they each had over 8 babies each. Completely depleted the gopher population. But its boring not being able to run around and shoot them with my newly acquired 12 gauge lol. :lol::mad3::lol: