PDA

View Full Version : Anchovy rigs : Do you run a single or double hooks?

browning375
07-25-2012, 09:38 AM
Just wondering if i should run a double hook set up for my anchovy rigs? I have seen some guys just run a single treble, than other guys use a treble with a single trailer hook behind.

I am just worried about the damage the other hook may do or both hooks would do to a fish if you have to release? But for hooking up, i do believe a second hook may increase your chances of landing and not have as many lost hits.

Teamprotz
07-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Where are you fishing and for what ? Salmon or lakers ? Regs make a difference too.

browning375
07-25-2012, 11:22 AM
salmon, tidal water fishing.

Teamprotz
07-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Out of my realm but have never seen trebles used , usually one or two singles.

Lefty-Canuck
07-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Out of my realm but have never seen trebles used , usually one or two singles.

The pre-made anchovie rigs I bought at the TFH to use ice fishing use a single treble on them.

I find using these in a still bait tip-up works well, pick the right size bait and you have less "stolen bait"...

LC

Jamie
07-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Browning. We run teaser head, with one hook through the body and a stinger following.
But we have backed off the choveys and started running gear . Call if your up here and I will give you a update. Btw bring your fly rod!

Jamie

Mark
07-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Usually just one, but have used a treble with a single as a stinger, when I'm missing a lot of hits. Releasing has been not problem with both.

Jamie
07-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Browning. We run teaser head, with one hook through the body and a stinger following.
But we have backed off the choveys and started running gear . Call if your up here and I will give you a update. Btw bring your fly rod!

Jamie

browning375
07-25-2012, 02:36 PM

Jamie

would love to try up that way someday, maybe when i buy a bigger boat. I was just curious about running the stinger hook, we were running into alot of pinks last time out and did not want to harm them if possible. I also lost a few hits because of not running them, so i am torn, do I or don't I.

I might try a few days next week pulling a buckfly around behind the boat and see what happens, should be some descent coho showing up on the north end of the island.

Jamie
07-25-2012, 03:27 PM
would love to try up that way someday, maybe when i buy a bigger boat. I was just curious about running the stinger hook, we were running into alot of pinks last time out and did not want to harm them if possible. I also lost a few hits because of not running them, so i am torn, do I or don't I.

I might try a few days next week pulling a buckfly around behind the boat and see what happens, should be some descent coho showing up on the north end of the island.

Damn pinks!!! No respect for the humps around here. My guides don't even let them in the boat. Lololol

Jamie

browning375
07-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Damn pinks!!! No respect for the humps around here. My guides don't even let them in the boat. Lololol

Jamie

Sure would love to come see your operation Jamie, my wife almost sent me there this spring after the fall out of our house fire. I beat her to the punch though, i bought myself a new boat before she tried to book me, now i make her go with me.

Will a 20ft campion explorer handle your area ok? I try to keep to sheltered areas till i can afford to buy my Grady White some time soon.

Drewski Canuck
07-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Browning,

For years I have run a 5/0 circle hook with a 1/0 stinger in the tail. Doesn't matter how they take it, they are released easily.

Trebles are a bit of a problem as barbless they lose fish. Barbless Circle hooks do not.

Trailers are critical on lazy big springs that hit short.

We have used 40# / 50 # Florocarbon fir years.

Final tip, one toothpick from dorsal to head of the Anchovy (or pichard if you can find them!!!) to keep the curve, second toothpick to jam the line in the head holder so that the head holder does not pull the Chovy into a circle.

Final Final tip: painted toothpicks stay sharp and hard. Wet toothpicks break easily. just clear nail polish really improves the stiffness of a toothpick.

We fish Gold River, and have refined these tactics over the years. Good luck and share the stories.

Drewski

browning375
07-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Browning,

For years I have run a 5/0 circle hook with a 1/0 stinger in the tail. Doesn't matter how they take it, they are released easily.

Trebles are a bit of a problem as barbless they lose fish. Barbless Circle hooks do not.

Trailers are critical on lazy big springs that hit short.

We have used 40# / 50 # Florocarbon fir years.

Final tip, one toothpick from dorsal to head of the Anchovy (or pichard if you can find them!!!) to keep the curve, second toothpick to jam the line in the head holder so that the head holder does not pull the Chovy into a circle.

Final Final tip: painted toothpicks stay sharp and hard. Wet toothpicks break easily. just clear nail polish really improves the stiffness of a toothpick.

We fish Gold River, and have refined these tactics over the years. Good luck and share the stories.

Drewski

Thanks Drewski,

I will try that for sure! Great tip, never thought of putting a tooth pick inside the anchovy before!

Have to experiment some more when the wife is not with me, she never wants to steer the boat while I play around out back with different gear. Probably why I was not doing as well this year unlike last year with my buddy.

Still glad she comes out, don't get me wrong but it's a different show when its just the men on the water, working the gear constant to see what is working.

wildcat111
07-25-2012, 07:39 PM
we fish off the victoria with them all the time, one treble hook, never seen any one use two hooks.

bardfromedson
07-26-2012, 06:30 PM
if fishing is slow i like the single trebble. sometimes the trailer hook kills a bit of the action. if its hot and heavy with lots of short strikers the trailer will help with short strikers and the dreaded missed bite.. nothing worse than dragging half eaten chovies around because you didn't see the bite. if your running the double hook rig a great way to keep the good tight roll is to run a stainless piece of wire off the teaser head. thread the wire through the chovie and put your desired bend in. it takes a little longer to set up but its a lot tougher from minor bites or when the bait goes a little mushey. you don't have to put the tension on the hook to get the desired bend.

Agb Crash
07-26-2012, 07:18 PM

Jamie

They let one in for me!!!!! LOL
Had a great time.
Thanks for fitting us in short notice (dang Bravo one)
I am eating that pink smoked right now (smonked in my special Coke Brine)
First class experience. Told my wife what i want for my next Bday.

Mike_W
07-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Hey browning all I use is a single barbless treble but I'm not dealing with clients that have never fought a fish either.

If we have problems with a short strike we just move the treble back a little closer to the tail.

Hammered the springs up in hardy again this year! .... Guess the single trebel works.

Keep your hooks sticky sharp!!

Mike

Tofinofish
07-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Hey browning all I use is a single barbless treble but I'm not dealing with clients that have never fought a fish either.

If we have problems with a short strike we just move the treble back a little closer to the tail.

Hammered the springs up in hardy again this year! .... Guess the single trebel works.

Keep your hooks sticky sharp!!

Mike

Same, Single Barbless Treble. Lose some but land most....

Serengeti Charters
07-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Treble with single trailer, I've found 80% of my fish were hooked just the the single trailer this year. So much bait up in our area all my guests who have fished multiple locations can't believe how soft they bite, just cause they can be picky. That trailer has definitely increased my catch rate, and mortality on fish being released is very low, it's all about how you handle the fish I find.

browning375
07-27-2012, 09:07 AM
Just stocked up on new Gamagatsu hooks last night, now going to tie up some rigs with a stinger and without. When we were fishing out there a couple weeks ago i lost several hits, so i'm going to run a stinger first if its slow.

Can't believe how sharp those Gamagatsu's are, stabbed myself several times last night just tieing one rig. Three more days and I'm back to do some serious fishing with my buddy, no wife to slow me down and complain about how cold she is! LOL!