PDA

View Full Version : Fish Finder Installation Help?

trapshooter
07-25-2012, 11:28 PM
I just got a humminbird 160 for my 12' aluminum boat. Reading the mounting instructions for the transducer it seems really complicated and you have to have the transducer exactly this height from the bottom etc etc. Does all of that rally matter on such a small boat or what? I am kinda confused.

npauls
07-25-2012, 11:36 PM
I just got a humminbird 160 for my 12' aluminum boat. Reading the mounting instructions for the transducer it seems really complicated and you have to have the transducer exactly this height from the bottom etc etc. Does all of that rally matter on such a small boat or what? I am kinda confused.

You have to have it set up so it can shoot a signal to the bottom and pick it up back up. Also make sure you have an inline fuse between the power cable and the battery.

It isn't that hard to do. Maybe someone on the board in your area can swing by and help you get it all set up. I would offer to drop by but I am quite a distance away.

trapshooter
07-25-2012, 11:38 PM
You have to have it set up so it can shoot a signal to the bottom and pick it up back up. Also make sure you have an inline fuse between the power cable and the battery.

It isn't that hard to do. Maybe someone on the board in your area can swing by and help you get it all set up. I would offer to drop by but I am quite a distance away.

what do you mean by an inline fuse?

pikergolf
07-25-2012, 11:43 PM
For a boat with a big motor it really does matter, for a boat with a trolling motor it's not quit so critical. It is critical to get the transducer below your hull line so there is no interference, and you want enough clearance so if you hit something it will swing up and out of the way instead of being torn off the boat. Just do what the instructions say, and when you get a bigger boat you'll be ahead of the game because you've done it right once already. :)

npauls
07-25-2012, 11:50 PM
Head to some sort of electronic shop and ask them for an inline fuse. It should say in your instructions what size you will need.

It is just a fuse that hooks up to your power cable and the battery.

Google it or you tube it and you should be able to find what I am talking about.

You may even be able to find a video on there to explain to you how to install the whole sonar unit.

Another place to look may be the walleye workshop website. They have videos for all kinds of things and if I remember right they have a sonar installation video.

trapshooter
07-25-2012, 11:59 PM
Head to some sort of electronic shop and ask them for an inline fuse. It should say in your instructions what size you will need.

It is just a fuse that hooks up to your power cable and the battery.

Google it or you tube it and you should be able to find what I am talking about.

You may even be able to find a video on there to explain to you how to install the whole sonar unit.

Another place to look may be the walleye workshop website. They have videos for all kinds of things and if I remember right they have a sonar installation video.

Why do i need a fuse line cant i just hook up the blackline to the negative terminal and the red line to the positive terminal ?

npauls
07-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Yes you can but if something happens to go wrong you could blow your whole sonar unit. With a fuse inline you will pop the fuse and just have to replace it rather then buy a whole new sonar unit.

trapshooter
07-26-2012, 12:10 AM
Yes you can but if something happens to go wrong you could blow your whole sonar unit. With a fuse inline you will pop the fuse and just have to replace it rather then buy a whole new sonar unit.

oh i see, will do!

pikergolf
07-26-2012, 12:19 AM
Just checked the hummingbird website, they don't even supply a fuse link. What a rip, glad i bought a Lawrence. Just another pain in the azz to go through, for a 25 cent item.

fluxcore
07-26-2012, 06:04 AM
Just checked the hummingbird website, they don't even supply a fuse link. What a rip, glad i bought a Lawrence. Just another pain in the azz to go through, for a 25 cent item.

Hmmmmm installed my new bird this season and the fuse info / diagram in the instructions was very clear and helpful.

freeones
07-26-2012, 06:51 AM
My advice would be to get yourself a piece of King starboard or the equivalent (Mulestalker here used to sell it when I searched it, but I'm sure there's a plastic place in Calgary where you could pick up a piece) and glue it to your transom about 1/16 to 1/8" above flush. Use a good construction adhesive like PL Pro and it will be stronger than bolting it on.

Now you can mount and remount your transducer as many times as necessary and never have to worry about putting holes in your boat, just use short wood screws directly into the king starboard.

The fuse is good advice too. Other than that, just follow the directions as well as you can, it's not super critical, but the beter job you do the better your unit will work and display both the bottom and the fish.

Good luck.

pikergolf
07-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Hmmmmm installed my new bird this season and the fuse info / diagram in the instructions was very clear and helpful.

I am talking about the fuse link itself, the model sounder he has does not come with a built in fuse link. My Cheap Lawrence has a built in fuse link and I'm assuming every Lawrence.

Jiffy10
07-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Partsource or Can Tire or Napa can hook you up with the inline
fuse. Gotta be on the Hot side ( pos / Red )

transducer can be slightly higher than the water line but at a slight angle
facing back just a bit. That way... when your at the back in the boat
it faces down .

Adhesive the Puck Board / plastic etc. to the transom is a SUPER IDEA.
Many dealers do it now instead of drilling into the boat.
( Never did feel good drilling into a boat )

On the lighter side of things ..... and I heard if from a Lowrance rep.

They are depth finders with imaging...

They never claim to be " Fsh Finders " .....

so true.......