PDA

View Full Version : Catch and release Lakers in deep water

Scotty P.
07-26-2012, 12:33 PM
So I plan to head out this weekend to target Lake trout but from the info I've been getting they will be hanging out in around 80 - 120 feet of water. What I'm wondering is if you catch a fish at these depths, does the rate at which you bring the fish to the surface effect it's chances of survival upon release? I know deep sea divers can only come up about a foot per second or they can die and I was wondering if the same is true for fish?

Lefty-Canuck
07-26-2012, 12:44 PM
From what I have heard...lakers have a special ability to be able to handle wide depth changes without too much damage....that being said when fishing those depths I would try to bring the fish in at a steady pace and not "reef" it in....you never know if its a walleye or other fish and they may not fare so well.

I am not a big laker fisherman though so one of the more qualified guys would be able to give you a better idea.

LC

Zuludog
07-26-2012, 01:44 PM
I have never noticed a difference between retrieval rates and stress on the fish. I do think when you pull up a big laker from deep down and the fight is long, it is essential to take the time to properly revive them. Some times you also have to "burp" them by rubbing their bellies, I think it helps them release air so that they can descend easier.

Either way I always take the time to ensure a fish is ready to be released before letting it go. I strive to make sure that all the fish I release survive.:)

tight line
07-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Ive watched them on my sonar chasing my hook from 180 feet to 20.... Dont think it hurts them! Lol. Believe they can release air from their air bladder quicker than all other fish, i always take my time brinhing them up though!

Zuludog
07-26-2012, 04:34 PM
I was thinking about this on the way home. I know its bad to over play fish for a long time as it puts undue stress on them. I wonder if it is the same taking your time bring them in vertically as well???

Bigdad013
07-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Caught lots at that depth, from my own personal experience, I would estimate that 30% of lakers I caught that come up from those depths are bloated. It takes quite a bit of time to revive them, but it can be done. Sometimes it takes a good 10 mins to get them going again. Of those, maybe a 25% fatality. Where I fish it's unfortunate if they don't make it, especially if they are not legal size. Can't keep them after. But usually if the fish does die, there is usually an eagle near by to get a free meal.