PDA

View Full Version : Big walleye

Fishnafterwork
07-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Hey all u walleye experts out there I got a few questions

1. Do big walleye school less the bigger they get

2. Any idea of their migrating patterns( up and downstream)

3. I'm having a tough time trying to distinguish walleye from sauger

4. Are you more likely ( in a river) to get big fish downstream or upstream in big pools? Basically I'm asking do they stay near 1 spot their whole life or up and down the whole watershed

5. In a lake if you are marking tons of walleye on a shelf but they won't bite.( u figured it was a light bite day ) and y mark fish in much deeper water...... Knowing its a light bite do u A: use the same small jig that normally works on the shelf and in turn sacrifice good contact with the jig

Or B: use a big jig for good contact that normally doesn't work on the shelf and sacrifice maybe being too big a meal?

Thanks guys!

Fishnafterwork
07-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Ok I thought of another question : when a bug fish gets real big how do they feed do they swim around lazily with their mouths open feeding on lots of small things or would they rather hunt still and remain active still??

JohnnyD
07-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Hey all u walleye experts out there I got a few questions

1. Do big walleye school less the bigger they get

2. Any idea of their migrating patterns( up and downstream)

3. I'm having a tough time trying to distinguish walleye from sauger

4. Are you more likely ( in a river) to get big fish downstream or upstream in big pools? Basically I'm asking do they stay near 1 spot their whole life or up and down the whole watershed

5. In a lake if you are marking tons of walleye on a shelf but they won't bite.( u figured it was a light bite day ) and y mark fish in much deeper water...... Knowing its a light bite do u A: use the same small jig that normally works on the shelf and in turn sacrifice good contact with the jig

Or B: use a big jig for good contact that normally doesn't work on the shelf and sacrifice maybe being too big a meal?

Thanks guys!

In regard to point 5. I often find when its a light bite or the fish are wanting a smaller presentation and I go into deeper water I'll just toss one or two split shot about a foot above the jig. Should help.

Fisher_man#1
07-26-2012, 08:18 PM
In regards to question 3:

Sauger have black spots on their dorsal fin (the top fin with spins) and dark colorations on the sides of their bodies.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnMhifIBcgXarnJ8q7lzGtUaoZXRnBS Ilb2DUY8VAnPCMQd6xTgg

Walleye have a white tip on the bottem edge of their tail (very prominent on some) and no black spots on their dorsal fin, along with a more even coloration on the sides.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgdKnuXhGwUESkvvbUfuX4kPEz2wX9x CjVghdrmO2-12R39KAg

The remaining questions are all subjective and everyone will have a different opinion about.

hope that helps.

Cheers,

davegrant
07-26-2012, 11:48 PM
If u want to target big walleye just hit the North Sask or Pembina or Athabasca every day in October( 30+ inch over 10 pounds) guaranteed..

Fishnafterwork
07-27-2012, 12:48 AM
Great guys thanks for the tips !..... I'm sure I've held a sauger without realizing it cause I caught one not long ago that had dark stripes almost exactly like a perch but I also know the walleye I've caught from one body of water to the next differ drastically I'm definitely going to pay more attention now..... Are sauger populations good? As far as keeping one for shore lunch? I find a 50cm walleye is better to take home size wise. and I'm guessing these two fish school together?

Never tried the split shot I will try it .... I tried putting a weight on bottom and tying my jig on 6" up ... It worked great for contact but I had no nice natural movement on my jig anymore

I've never tryed nsask but deffinately want to! I've driven over it (working ) many times at the drayton valley bridge and drooled at that beautiful point ( that's gotta have fish waiting around the corner but I never scrambled down to fish it .... Am I too far upstream here for big walleye.... I've got a 16.5" aluminum boat with 60 hp motor can u run a boat like this in the nsask or is it too unsafe for anything but a jet? Thanks again .... As u c I have only a billion questions

Dgirl
07-27-2012, 10:02 AM
In regards to question 3:

Sauger have black spots on their dorsal fin (the top fin with spins) and dark colorations on the sides of their bodies.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnMhifIBcgXarnJ8q7lzGtUaoZXRnBS Ilb2DUY8VAnPCMQd6xTgg

Walleye have a white tip on the bottem edge of their tail (very prominent on some) and no black spots on their dorsal fin, along with a more even coloration on the sides.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgdKnuXhGwUESkvvbUfuX4kPEz2wX9x CjVghdrmO2-12R39KAg

My other half and I had a discussion about this the other day. I hooked what I'm sure was a walleye at Crawling Valley due to the white tip on the tail but he swears it was a sauger because of the very prominent stripes. I'll have to remember to look a little more at the dorsal. Are they crossbreeding at all?

TJG
07-27-2012, 11:56 AM
My other half and I had a discussion about this the other day. I hooked what I'm sure was a walleye at Crawling Valley due to the white tip on the tail but he swears it was a sauger because of the very prominent stripes. I'll have to remember to look a little more at the dorsal. Are they crossbreeding at all?

saugeye - www.kdwpt.state.ks.us/content/download/7063/34347/file/

Saugeye are similar to walleye and sauger. Dark bars between the spines on the spiny dorsal fin are the best identifying characteristic for this fish. Sharp teeth, dark blotches on the sides, and a white tip on the lower tail also help identify the saugeye.

Fishnafterwork
07-28-2012, 01:40 AM
Oh come on now.... Now u got my head spinning I was having a tough time with walleye and sauger and now u throw saugeye into the mix!? I'm doomed all little fish will b small walleye... Haha :)

TROLLER
07-28-2012, 08:53 AM
There are no sauger in Crawling Valley