PDA

View Full Version : Chain Lakes and staying away from structures????

Okotokian
07-26-2012, 05:34 PM
The regs say:
"Fish must not be removed from, or disturbed in, any facility or structure designed to capture, hold or facilitate the passage of fish. Fishing is prohibited by any method within 25 yards (22.86 m) downstream of the lower entrance of any fishway, canal, obstacle or leap. Weirs and dams are considered obstacles.
NOTE: Fishways, fish ladders, impoundment nets, fish traps and other similar structures are set up to assist in the management or the study of fisheries, or to allow the passage of fish."

So does this apply to the lower spillway at Chain Lakes? Frankly I'm a little confused by the phrase "downstream of the lower entrance..." How would one describe where water is running OUT of the reservoir as an "entrance"? There are no fish ladders or anythng like that. Fish do not go upstream and into the reservoir (I don't think anyway). It just runs down a concrete spillway at about 45 degrees and perhaps 6 inches deep at most and then flows into the stream. The quoted passage had me wondering if I had to stay 25 yards away from that structure when fishing the stream downstream of the reservoir. I did to stay on the safe side, but do I have to?

Thoughts?

Krush
07-27-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm no expert, but I think you did what you were supposed. They're talking "from the fish's perspective". The downstream end is not an entrance for water, but is an entrance for fish moving upstream. That's my take on it anyways. I could be wrong.

slivers86
07-29-2012, 06:07 AM
not sure about how the regs state it, but ever since I was a kid, the bottom of that spillway has been a favorite spot for all kinds of people. We used to put our rods through the fence and fish with corn! lol