PDA

View Full Version : Red deer river

sirk
07-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Got a free pass this weekend. I'm gonna hit the RDR downstream of Dickson. Anyone have advice as to what fly to use? I haven't been out much this year due to a newborn. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks

Chris

Fishnafterwork
07-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Yep I got the best advise u can get....... Ask fish hunter7...:)

bwackwabbit
07-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Yep I got the best advise u can get....... Ask fish hunter7...:)

X2 that dude slays 'EM.

Cheers.

Sedativ3
07-26-2012, 07:59 PM
If your goin after browns theyve been concentrating in the deeper holes so throw on a big streamer and get down there to them. If your lookin for some dry fly action the chernobyl ant usually produces well. There were also a ton of stonefly's kickin around on the weekend so keep that in mind.

sirk
07-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Great info! Thank you guys!

Xiph0id
07-26-2012, 09:11 PM
How is the river? Clear? A bit high?

Dust1n
07-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Goldeye: Double Woolybugger Rig Under an Indicator down deep has been slaying them in this highwater.
Rockies have been hot this year by bower ponds in the runs using a SJW and a trailing bh emerger.

In another week or so the browns will be caught sight fishing with big hoppers/stones!

Sedativ3
07-26-2012, 10:46 PM
How is the river? Clear? A bit high?

up close to the dam she was as clear as can be on sunday, once the litte red and medicine join it gets alot slower. Seemed like a different river. If you have something to float on, float from the dam to the mouth of the little red. Its an awesome stretch!

Xiph0id
07-26-2012, 10:51 PM
I was thinking about hitting it near the trunk.
I'll be coming down the coal camp road or what ever it's called.
I'll be camping for a few days in that area.

fishman
07-26-2012, 11:45 PM
The upper red deer moves pretty fast u will need someone to steer u in the right direction...I havnt fished the upper red I fish the lower section way slower moving also less trout in bottom end upper red has a good variety of trout
I think I will be lake fishing

Bigtoad
07-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Just got back from there. x2 on chernobyl ants. caddis was also good. Medicine was pumping mud in so find somewhere upstream of that and you should be good.

Cheers.

Sedativ3
07-27-2012, 01:06 AM
I was thinking about hitting it near the trunk.
I'll be coming down the coal camp road or what ever it's called.
I'll be camping for a few days in that area.
Walk aways away from the campgrounds, they get fished very hard. There are some nice bulls to be had. Some of the deeper holes are better fished with a jig bouncing off the bottom. Hope it helps!

Xiph0id
07-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Walk aways away from the campgrounds, they get fished very hard. There are some nice bulls to be had. Some of the deeper holes are better fished with a jig bouncing off the bottom. Hope it helps!

Thank you.
I plan on lots of walking.
I actually quite enjoy the hiking part.

LonelyAngler
07-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Just got back from fishing the lower Red Deer between the dam and Penhold . The Red Deer is a little high and moving fast. We found a good part of the mud is coming from the medicine river and a little bit from the little red. (3 ' visability above the medicine) Lots of Goldeye and whitefish rising. We were fishing walleye we got 4 .

fishead
07-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Was fishing the litle red deer river with kids the last few days as for drys they were goIng after adams and for wet the kids caught a few browns on doc sprately

bingbing81
07-27-2012, 03:27 PM
rng rd 10 area? I was at the penhold bridge last weekend and was approached by fish and games.