PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Dugout Question

Levy
07-28-2012, 02:19 PM
A recent upgrade to the road at our family farm left us with a rather large dugout. Its around 150 feet wide, 300 feet long, and im estimating around 30 some feet deep maybe more... Were planning on stocking it. I have been reading the regs on whats allowed to be stocked in alberta dugouts. Browns, Brookies, Rainbows, Grass Carp, and Artic Char.

I would really like to stock all three trout species and make a little creek around the dugout and rather than using the wind power water pumps for cattle, use them to push water through the small fake creek. Im not talking large volumes of water. It would be more of a hydro and landscaping project. There are many large beautiful boulders from the dugout and also thousands of rocks we have picked from our field in the immediate vicinity. Anyone ever seen similar production and has anyone ever brought brown trout in from out of province? None of the Alberta trout farms sell browns as far as i can tell. Also will i have issues with three different species in the dugout?

Levy

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l505/levy23/IMG_0814.jpg?t=1343505517

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l505/levy23/IMG_0795.jpg?t=1343505512

cujo1969
07-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Water be a good thing to have first lol. Can you fill it from canal? Nice size pond kinda jealous.

WorldClass
07-28-2012, 05:14 PM
It's a shame I have no advice to give you, other then maybe consider an airrator for the winter or you might just lose everything. I'd also like to say it's a shame alberta won't allow dugout stocking of Cutthroat Trout. Very aggressive and hardy fish that are super fun to catch and far better tasting then rainbows.

I know of several lakes where either rainbow or brook trout fingerlings were released by accident into stocked lakes containing the opposing species (brooks into normally rainbow lakes and vice versa) and both species do well together. Not sure how browns will do as I have no experience with them yet.

Levy
07-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Water be a good thing to have first lol. Can you fill it from canal? Nice size pond kinda jealous.

No canals in our area but its in a natural low spot. We could never farm the spot because it was always full of water so when they asked if they could borrow fill we were happy to finally have a use for that land. We also have an 8 inch diameter irrigation pump we were going to use to fill it this fall when they're done taking clay. There are three sloughs within a short enough distance to pump water in. Once we fill her up hopefully natural drainage keeps her topped up from year to year.

cujo1969
07-28-2012, 05:55 PM
You will need get a permit to stock it and have it inspected. We put some brooks in this year but have seen any yet.

Wood1
07-28-2012, 08:24 PM
You definetely have potential here, especially with that kind of depth. Keep in mind, "it all depends" plays a big role in raising fish, particularly in Alberta. I have been doing it for almost ten years and contrary to what most think, I have never experienced a winter kill, but have lost hundreds of fish to summer kills.

Here is what I would do, at least to start. Complete your paperwork with Agriculture branch immediately, apply for the five year license. Should be no problems.

Plant grass around all banks to prevent silting as soon as construction is complete. An artificial creek would likely give little to no benefit for fish survival, I would wait until fish are stocked and things are settled. As part of the landscaping, a creek with rocks and boulders would be visually pleasing and add to the natural appeal of your pond. In the future, there is a way that a water inflow through a bottom upwelling can allow for brook trout to successfully spawn. Once full, I would just stock a few hundred rainbows, easy to get and fairly cheap, see how they make it through the first full year. I am most certain that you will have no low oxygen issues for at least the first two or three years. In that time, research bottom aeration systems. You will eventually have many weeds due to the gradual slope and shallow areas, trust me they will find you. As for browns, I would be careful, they are fairly predatory compared to the other trout, and sometimes prove difficult to catch in a small pond environment. Read as much about pond aquaculture as you can and remember every pond is different, and it does all depend. Good luck, you will enjoy this.

Dust1n
07-28-2012, 08:32 PM
If you want to stock it take a look out of the following fisheries.
Mitchell Lake-Browns and Bows
Chickakoo-Brookies and Bows
Not sure about all three being together but it has potencial to be an awesome little pothole.
PS: Whatever you choose I hope you get some browns in there, they can get very big in small waters!

Levy
07-28-2012, 09:53 PM
You definetely have potential here, especially with that kind of depth. Keep in mind, "it all depends" plays a big role in raising fish, particularly in Alberta. I have been doing it for almost ten years and contrary to what most think, I have never experienced a winter kill, but have lost hundreds of fish to summer kills.

Here is what I would do, at least to start. Complete your paperwork with Agriculture branch immediately, apply for the five year license. Should be no problems.

Plant grass around all banks to prevent silting as soon as construction is complete. An artificial creek would likely give little to no benefit for fish survival, I would wait until fish are stocked and things are settled. As part of the landscaping, a creek with rocks and boulders would be visually pleasing and add to the natural appeal of your pond. In the future, there is a way that a water inflow through a bottom upwelling can allow for brook trout to successfully spawn. Once full, I would just stock a few hundred rainbows, easy to get and fairly cheap, see how they make it through the first full year. I am most certain that you will have no low oxygen issues for at least the first two or three years. In that time, research bottom aeration systems. You will eventually have many weeds due to the gradual slope and shallow areas, trust me they will find you. As for browns, I would be careful, they are fairly predatory compared to the other trout, and sometimes prove difficult to catch in a small pond environment. Read as much about pond aquaculture as you can and remember every pond is different, and it does all depend. Good luck, you will enjoy this.

Thanks a lot. The blood is pumping already. A lot of good info here. I had read on another forum that some dugouts with springs in them had reproducing brookies. Others were saying that it was a matter of how much oxygen was in the water but i thought temperature would play a role too. Would current also be an important factor? By bottom upwelling do you mean pull cooler deeper water up in a gravel bed or shallow spot for them to spawn in? I have no clue what the spawning habits of brookies are and think it would be awesome if I could have some reproduction in the dugout.

spurly
07-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Just my opinion, but you might want to try and get , shrimp established in your pond before stocking it.

Levy
07-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Just my opinion, but you might want to try and get , shrimp established in your pond before stocking it.

That shouldn't be a problem. There are millions in the sloughs around us.

Wood1
07-28-2012, 11:18 PM

Scuds are excellent forage for trout. A little seed water from local sloughs would help jump start things as well.

Does this natural low area receive runoff from agriculture or livestock? Excessive nutrient loading will be a problem for you later if that is the case.

As far as brookie spawning, you would have to build a system of spawning boxes with substrate and pump (pipe) oxygenated water below to slowly upwell for incubation. Frankly, I would just buy the fish that I wanted, and manage accordingly. That is the advantage of dugout trout, stock for your goals, allow for harvest and mortality and buy more as needed. Regardless of fish densities or forage base, you will be feeding pellets. Fortunately, unlike other livestock, trout feeding has therapeutic benefits and soon you'll be making excuses to visit the pond.

Levy
07-28-2012, 11:36 PM
There used to be a few cattle in the area that drains into it and we currently winter pasture cattle in the corn field around it but very little of the area that drains into the slough will have cattle in it this year and once landscaping begins (next spring) no cattle will be in the drainage basin.

cougar bait
07-29-2012, 12:49 AM
Alot of great info already from guys as always, but i would really stress getting grass carp and the water treating chemical and stay ahead of the weeds that will grow in that dugout. (Have to apply for grass carp on the permitt) We built a very similar dugout and with the gradual sloped edges like that the weeds got so bad so fast you will almost need a boat to fish it. Wont be able to cast from shore and the weeds will get so bad they will take all the oxygen and kill the fish. If there is anyway you can get a track hoe in there and make the edges straight it will be well worth your while. Either way just keep an eye on it and have fun. Its a blast having your own fishing hole!!

PS I would phone and order some fish now for next spring so you can get exactly what you want. The local guy we buy from is always sold out early in the spring so if you order now you get what you want delivered first. The first year we bought the 5-7inchers and they were 12-13 inches by fall, they grow fast!! Have fun

Jimboy
07-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Dugouts like that are very dangerous , with nothing but mud along the sides and very steep , one step off the bank and anyone who cant swim would be in trouble because the mud would make it impossible to crawl back out , also in winter its another death trap for dogs and young kids , l know theres lots of them around , but the sharp drop off should not be allowed , instead a gradual drop off say 20 degrees makes more sense , be carefull.

selanne88
07-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Very nice pond indeed. My Parents have a similar pond and have had Rainbows stocked every 3-4 years. Only experienced 1 winter kill when we had lots of snow and cold weather. Pond is spring fed and also has a windmill to increase oxygen. I do know that due to the location of the pond (north of Rocky Mountian House), the only species that can be stocked are Rainbows. It was explained that its because they are worried they may get in the NSR. That is impossible as the pond is 5 miles away with zero outlets. Yeah that would be cool to have all 3 species, make for some great fishing. Hope all goes well.

Garry B
07-29-2012, 01:26 PM
That's a beautiful pond. Would be a dream to have such a one.

Here's the best website I can think of for help with setting up a pond.

http://www.pondboss.com/

They have a forum too:

http://forums.pondboss.com/

You have a diamond there.

My one bit of advice would be to take loads of pictures and measurements now when it has no water. Then you can refer back to them when it's filled and you cannot see much.

Good luck!

singleshotom
07-29-2012, 01:56 PM
We have a very similar pond its about 36 ft deep and a fish biologist suggested a aeration system be installed, not so much for air but to make sure the water doesn't layer. Due to temperatures, water will layer and the nitrates will build up on the bottom, but later in summer and early fall the water will shift,( called turning over) due once again to water temps and the nitrate rich water will surface and you can loss all your fish.
Thus in a deep pond you should install something to make sure the water doesn't layer up. ( keep it mixed so to speak)
The other thing is that here in Alberta as a recreational pond we are very limited in types of fish..
Rainbow or rainbow cross, char (which include brooks) carp.
And you cannot import from an other province unless threw a licensed hatchery is what we have been told. ( Due to introducing a decease)
The inspector was very pleased with our dugout and said he would license us for every thing that is allowed, and when we got the license I was shocked
about how limited we are here in Alberta...
If your a licensed commercial fishery there are a few more species but most are Asian.
But If you get it going and are enjoying things you may find that the biggest problem with it is pest control..... Great Blue Herons and Cormorants. The worst thing about having a great pond is trying to protect fish even at 2 to 3 pounds......
sst

Levy
07-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Appreciate the help. This info is GREAT!