PDA

View Full Version : Travers Res

Traps
07-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Was at Travers today, I had fish on the finder show up from 40 to 100 feet of water. They were mostly large fish. Does anyone have any idea what species these would be?

Graffy91
07-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Was at Travers today, I had fish on the finder show up from 40 to 100 feet of water. They were mostly large fish. Does anyone have any idea what species these would be?

Most likely pike.

I dunno what travers has, as I'm from Edmonton and never been there.

But probably pike?

hardcorefishing
07-28-2012, 10:56 PM
was at travers a few days ago. the lake has white fish, walleye, burbots and hugh pikes.

Traps
07-29-2012, 09:18 PM
I suppose it could be pike, I was thinking large whitefish, I dunno. There were two zones where fish were mainly concentrated, at 40-50 feet, then again at 90-100 feet.

npauls
07-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Did you try fishing shallow water for the eyes?

You probably won't mark them but if you aren't getting anything in deeper water head shallow and see what happens.

I don't ever fish past 30 feet of water because of what can happen with walleyes when you pull them out of deeper water but I will cruise over those depths to check what the sonar is marking and where.

Outcast
07-29-2012, 09:49 PM
How do you know they were large fish?

Traps
07-30-2012, 08:47 PM
I tried 10', 20' and 30' of water. Caught some walleyes at 20'. Good point about bringing them in from the deep.

I think they were large (big if here) because the fishfinder gives three sizes and most of them were on the largest fish size.

npauls
07-30-2012, 09:33 PM
I tried 10', 20' and 30' of water. Caught some walleyes at 20'. Good point about bringing them in from the deep.

I think they were large (big if here) because the fishfinder gives three sizes and most of them were on the largest fish size.

That is your problem right there.

Change your settings on your sonar and get rid of the fish symbols.

Check out videos online from doctor sonar. Those videos will teach you everything you need to know about reading a sonar properly.

Those fish symbols are useless and are never right.

If your sonar is set up properly you should be able to mark distinct arches when your sonar reads fish.

Mudslide
07-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Turning fish ID off is the first thing I do with a new sonar. It's not that hard to interpret the raw signals once you get used to it and you get a much more accurate picture of what's going on below. If you're going to spend hundreds of dollars on electronics it only makes sense to spend a little time learning about how to use them properly. Once you do your catch rate will increase exponentially. Lots of good resources out there.

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Support/Tips-and-Tutorials/Sonar-Tutorial/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTacpPjjWiU&feature=related

Mudslide
07-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Agreed Doc Samson's videos are second to none. His Understanding Sonar DVD - Part 1 & 2 are the best money a fisherman can spend. Watch them and you'll know more about sonar and how to use it properly than 90 percent of fisherman. Mostly geared to Lowrance but useful no matter what you're running.

http://www.hightechfishing.com/store/dvd_sonar_combo.html

jrs
07-30-2012, 10:01 PM
The number of lake whitefish in that reservoir is pretty remarkable. A very likely culprit considering the time of year and water temperatures..

Outcast
07-31-2012, 08:01 AM
That's where I was going with the question. I wish sonars didn't even have that fish Id!

Traps
07-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Great advice fellas, I'll have to do some learning. Thanks!

Anyone fish for whitefish in the summer? If so what do you use?