PDA

View Full Version : lower bow for trout

pikergolf
07-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Have a week off coming up, looking to make a day trip to the Bow for trout, how far up do i go to be in good trout water?

pikergolf
07-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Anybody?

Shawnlh
07-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Wish I could help, but I'm wondering the same.
Is between Carseland and Gleichen any good? Or is that all reserve land? Or do you need to be upstream of the Carseland spill way?

Don't mean to hijack your thread Piker, just looking for a day trip myself.

Penner
07-30-2012, 12:32 PM
I believe trout water is up to the Bassano Dam. Pike, Walleye, and everything esle below Bassano Dam. I've never fished below Mckinnon flats so I'm not 100% certain.

chubbdarter
07-30-2012, 05:02 PM
yes high large trout populations to arrowood, keep in mind you will be passing reserve land below Carsland

pikergolf
07-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Thanks Chub, is the pressure high in this region?

chubbdarter
07-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks Chub, is the pressure high in this region?

a few jets, some guides who have made special arrangements with the Band. There are some stories of the Natives using large potato guns remind river users to not dock up. Funny till someone gets hurt ...lol

pikergolf
07-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Looking on google earth, looks like a parking lot under the 24 bridge? I figure about 5 k east before the reserve, is that about right? Golf course east too? Thanks

chubbdarter
07-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Looking on google earth, looks like a parking lot under the 24 bridge? I figure about 5 k east before the reserve, is that about right? Golf course east too? Thanks

yes there is parking lot. to be honest ive never took a gps milage to the reserve boundary from the highway bridge, but its sounds about right maybe a little less than 5 klicks
the golf course is right on the highway directly north of the highway bridge

pikergolf
07-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Thanks I appreciate it.

chubbdarter
07-30-2012, 06:12 PM
campground with a ice cream store on the opposite side of bridge also

Shawnlh
07-31-2012, 12:28 AM
Think I might squat for a couple days here and see if i can figure out how to fly fish a river.
http://www.albertawow.com/campgrounds/wyndam_Carseland/wyndam_Carseland.htm

When you heading up Piker?

pikergolf
07-31-2012, 12:32 AM
Won't be till after Aug. long, and it will be during the week to hopefully avoid crowds. I'd like to hit a hopper hatch on a river once, well I won't mind hitting one on a lake once either. lol When are you going? That campground looks nice.

BeeGuy
07-31-2012, 12:43 AM
Won't be till after Aug. long, and it will be during the week to hopefully avoid crowds. I'd like to hit a hopper hatch on a river once, well I won't mind hitting one on a lake once either. lol When are you going? That campground looks nice.

Do hoppers normally hatch in August?

I wouldnt mind trying some out.

Shawnlh
07-31-2012, 12:43 AM
Most definitely not till after the long weekend. Other than that my schedule is fairly open. Just need to find R&B for the kids while I'm gone (single dad). But usually not to difficult.
In the mean time, I'll either have to spend some time on the pc to learn river fishing technics, or have some one with experience show me while I'm there. But it would be something I'd LOVE to learn.

gordfishing
07-31-2012, 07:42 AM
was down by the campground this past weekend, water is a lot higher than normal, had to take the grand kids to slower moving parts of the river but fishing was good, the one grand kid caught a nice bow on his second cast
and when I went by myself later on in the weekend fishing was really good but can't find a brown lately

marlin1
07-31-2012, 08:04 AM
you can fish downstream of the bridge for quite a ways before you get to the reserve . Pretty high last time I was through but that was a week ago

billie
07-31-2012, 08:18 AM
The launch at Hwy 24 is in poor shape. You would need a 2nd vehicle to pull your truck out of the mud right now (couldn't launch alone on July 22), unless it is fixed up since. You access the launch on the east side and drive under the bridge to the west side.

You also need a jet to go east from there and get back, I don't know of any pull out points going east, although there may be some I don't know about.

You can access the river east of the hwy going through the overflow of the campground on the east side but it is a hike.

pikergolf
07-31-2012, 01:44 PM

Hoppers are really starting to hatch now, but in Aug. they start to fly and enough of them end up in the water to attract the attention of trout, big mean nasty trout. They go on a feeding binge that can last for weeks, they eat and vomit, eat and vomit, till they lose all reason. 30 in. fish around every corner, easy to catch, need 15# tippet. Or something like that. I heard, but have never experienced. :evilgrin:

billie
07-31-2012, 07:07 PM
:sHa_shakeshout:
That's just silly, 10# tippet is lots.

Hopper season does have its charms. I got my largest brown (19 1/2") on a hopper and my buddy caught a 24" rainbow on a hopper last year.

Fun to fish them, easy to see and splashing them is an advantage.

slivers86
07-31-2012, 08:21 PM

believe it or not, hoppers are less than 10% of the trouts diet when they are bouncing around. Most of the time when they get hit, you've fooled the trout into thinking it is a stonefly.