PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops area suggestions anybody?

Fishfinder
07-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Hey y'all, hope everybody is having a fun summer fishn! Iv'e been enjoying the threads n new members! Anyway, GF n I n son are heading to Kamloops for a week of fishn/camping n looking for decent lakes that supply both (I know there's lots). The catch: Not taking any sort of watercraft n do not flyfish...so any suggestions?? Looks like spincasting is only option, if my understanding of the bc regs is correct, not allowed to deadstick with any form of bait...correct?? Thanx!
Cheers n GL all!:)

pikergolf
07-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Best tip I can give you is to fish after dark. 25 yrs ago we had good luck at Badger Lake but a lot can change in 25 yrs. I would see if the Gov. of BC publishes a stocking list and try and find a shallow, smaller lake. From shore I'm guessing you will be hard pressed to catch anything during the day. We did real well at night, shallow, using dragonfly nymphs. May be a torpedo float and fly? We had belly boats.

duck34
07-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Try Edith Lake just outside of kamloops. Decent shore fishing for brooks and Rainbows last time I was there and I believe there is a campsite on the lake. Tons of others around including Kamloops Lake itself which can be fished from shore towards the rock bluffs along the rail road tracks. Talk to the folks at the WSS there and they SHOULD be able to point you in the right direction as well. Have fun!

Agb Crash
07-30-2012, 09:38 PM
I have always had good luck at Tunkwa Lake. Good camping, fishing

Kingfisher
07-31-2012, 12:31 AM
I second the Tunkwa Lake suggestion. PM coming your way Fishfinder.

Rob

BeeGuy
07-31-2012, 12:45 AM
Hey y'all, hope everybody is having a fun summer fishn! Iv'e been enjoying the threads n new members! Anyway, GF n I n son are heading to Kamloops for a week of fishn/camping n looking for decent lakes that supply both (I know there's lots). The catch: Not taking any sort of watercraft n do not flyfish...so any suggestions?? Looks like spincasting is only option, if my understanding of the bc regs is correct, not allowed to deadstick with any form of bait...correct?? Thanx!
Cheers n GL all!:)

You mention lakes, but you can get into salmon this time of year in some of the rivers and lakes as well.

I love the Thompson

Reelreelreel!
07-31-2012, 06:24 AM
I'm also heading out that way this weekend, I know pretty much nothing about salmon fishing, is there a resource (website/book whatever) that I could look at to give me some tips/ideas or even a basic rundown of how that all works and where to catch em?

Fishfinder
07-31-2012, 09:57 AM
Thanx everybody for the replies. Been doing a lil research of the area n with some advice from fellow AOF members (special thanx to Rob), trip is starting to take shape.
I like your idea Beeguy, I was thinking of them salmon being so close, n I'll fish a riv over a lake anyday of the week but don't think it's in the cards this time. Whole purpose of trip was for GF to visit hometown(Kamloops) n yadayada just don't think I'll have the time. Especially with a 4 yr old n I'm a salmon rookie. However...this maaay be the trip I finally invest in a flyrod.:)
It's a vacation, gotta splurge....riiiiiiiight honey:scared0018: I'll buy her one too :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Krush
08-01-2012, 01:25 AM
Try Walloper Lake just south of town on the Coqihalla. Tons of willing rainbows and a nice fishing wharf that is great for little kids.

philgman
08-01-2012, 08:16 AM
i was there for the first 2 weeks of July. good luck in Jacko lake (go to the right from the boat launch, stop before the small weedy bay), some luck in Pasko lake, roche lake, stump lake, nicola lake. try fishing deep this time of year.

https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=205968707929471115599.0004a9386f4582113fa8 0&msa=0&ll=50.245448,-120.614777&spn=0.736822,1.234589

Sundancefisher
08-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Lac Le Jeune and other lakes in that area. There is a flyshop in Kamloops that can help.

Roche Lake is also a good option.

kissarmygeneral
08-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Red Lake has always been good to me!