PDA

View Full Version : Catch and Release

Donny Bear
07-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Am I of the mark or what?

I have a real issue with people who lift fish by the gills when they are being released!

It's like here I hope you survive but I just want to stick my fingers in your lungs before I say goodbye!

I just think people need to be more careful.

BeeGuy
07-30-2012, 08:53 PM
That's a reasonable opinion and you are not alone.

Pretty common sentiment in these parts.

tysonlazo2
07-30-2012, 09:03 PM
thats bad but ive seen people throw the fish 20 yards and laungh about how the fish flailed before it hit the water ...

Gust
07-30-2012, 09:07 PM
thats bad but ive seen people throw the fish 20 yards and laungh about how the fish flailed before it hit the water ...

That's my beef, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrr, plus over zealous gilling before release, AND, those who pick up pike by the eyes double grrrrrrr.

And Donny, my sister is still making colour swatches for you to get realistic colour layers on your painting fish replica's. She's very precise about such things, patience, patience, patience.

Donny Bear
07-31-2012, 03:52 PM
That's my beef, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrr, plus over zealous gilling before release, AND, those who pick up pike by the eyes double grrrrrrr.

And Donny, my sister is still making colour swatches for you to get realistic colour layers on your painting fish replica's. She's very precise about such things, patience, patience, patience.

very cool just waiting on 3 new replica's

thanks

SnoochyBoochy
07-31-2012, 04:15 PM
It can get pretty "foggy" out there when you have a monster on your line and adrenaline is pumping. And we all haven't been fishing for 20 yrs either so teach don't preach. Not saying you are, just a general statement.
Having said that there is a safe and acceptable way to hold a fish by the jaw and not even touch their gills. And it is my limited experience that this may even relax the fish enough to get that pic off and release with minimal impact.
My beef goes to the people who regularly hoist the fish up only to drop it on the ground or rocks from 4-6 ft off the ground and you know what I have done it myself so its about learning and practice.

Cheers
Snooch :acigar:

Guitarplayingfish
07-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Am I of the mark or what?

I have a real issue with people who lift fish by the gills when they are being released!

It's like here I hope you survive but I just want to stick my fingers in your lungs before I say goodbye!

I just think people need to be more careful.

I agree 100%.... I see WAY too many pictures of people holding fish by their gills.

Gills - Extremely fragile, ANY sort of damage can lead to death - What's not to understand people?!

billie
07-31-2012, 06:53 PM
And why can't people weigh their fish IN the net and deduct the weight of the net :confused:??

Why not measure your fish IN the net.

Get ready for your picture with the fish IN the net and IN the water then take him/her out for a quick snap.

It's also much easier this way when you are by yourself.

Oh right, go BUY a net.:sign0161:

NSRfishing
07-31-2012, 07:11 PM
i hate people who grab pike by the eyes might as well fillet then release in your going to pop the eyes into its skull

SnoochyBoochy
07-31-2012, 07:34 PM
And why can't people weigh their fish IN the net and deduct the weight of the net :confused:??

Why not measure your fish IN the net.

Get ready for your picture with the fish IN the net and IN the water then take him/her out for a quick snap.

It's also much easier this way when you are by yourself.

Oh right, go BUY a net.:sign0161:

HAHAHA this is when threads like this really take a dive. Weigh in the net. Don't even take the fish out of the water. AHAHAHAH How about you just stay at home and I'll let you know all about how the fishing is.
I saw a fishing show and it is looking like its going to be pretty standard practice to not even take the fish out of the water...LAME LAME LAME. (just my personal opinion). As for TV I can understand all the animal rights activists cornering these networks but come on.
The day I can't take a fish out of the water and weigh it like every other MAN with Bawls has weighed his fish for a hundred years kill me.
Since when did hunting and fishing become a sport for ....... (you fill in the blanks)

tysonlazo2
07-31-2012, 08:01 PM
HAHAHA this is when threads like this really take a dive. Weigh in the net. Don't even take the fish out of the water. AHAHAHAH How about you just stay at home and I'll let you know all about how the fishing is.
I saw a fishing show and it is looking like its going to be pretty standard practice to not even take the fish out of the water...LAME LAME LAME. (just my personal opinion). As for TV I can understand all the animal rights activists cornering these networks but come on.
The day I can't take a fish out of the water and weigh it like every other MAN with Bawls has weighed his fish for a hundred years kill me.
Since when did hunting and fishing become a sport for ....... (you fill in the blanks)

x2

flyguyd
07-31-2012, 08:24 PM

So if you dont dont weigh your fish ,you dont have (Bawls)?:thinking-006:

Theres a few pretty accomplished fisher gals on the forum and im pretty sure they dont have Bawls.

You talk dont preach , teach ,but it seems you are unwilling to learn anything:thinking-006:

Donny Bear
07-31-2012, 08:31 PM
I guess the thought was education and not to start a tempest, I think you can and I do take fish out of the water and I weigh them with a lip gripper. For me it's not about animal rights it's only about the best chance for a succesfull release so try to do my best which includes placing them back not throwing them back. This pike was caught with the gill damage you see in the picture already done from some previous incident and it was healthy and ready to go again.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff248/escanabajimmer/Pike.jpg

As for more fragile species I actually try to keep them in the net but that's just me and has nut/thing to do with bawls :) Just a personal choice.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff248/escanabajimmer/P1030568.jpg

I guess I new when I started this it would take a turn south.:thinking-006:

Alberta Bigbore
07-31-2012, 09:33 PM
I do take fish out of the water and I weigh them with a lip gripper.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff248/escanabajimmer/Pike.jpg

I have heard on many accounts of lip grippers breaking jaws of pike and other fish.

SnoochyBoochy
07-31-2012, 09:35 PM
I was reffering to myself and the bawls comment speaks to the ways of yesterday and how demasculated "we" have become when we cant even catch a fish anymore. Lets not forget we are putting hooks into their mouths and stomaches sometimes...If fishing hurts your feelings just dont do it. But please dont come down on people for safely and lawfully handling fish.
I am teachable but I am not buying what you are selling here. fishing and hunting by and large is the killing of animals for food and leisure. Catch and release is on a fine line and I encourage safe and lawful practice but lets not get carried away.

WayneChristie
07-31-2012, 09:53 PM
gills and gill plates are 2 different animals

Donny Bear
07-31-2012, 10:01 PM
I have heard on many accounts of lip grippers breaking jaws of pike and other fish.

Agree and Like gills and gill plates I guess we need to be careful!

Alberta Bigbore
07-31-2012, 10:08 PM
Ya... if it was a perfect world, all the fish released would survive.

Backbay
07-31-2012, 10:09 PM
If you're not going to harvest the fish, you don't have to be ashamed about weighing it in the net, if weight is important to you. Any pike that starts to show red on it's skin is stressed, and unless you think you'll never catch another fish that size again, there's nothing wrong about measuring its length, taking a quick pic, and releasing it.
In the weather we've had lately, (seems it's super hot everywhere), I saw a comment from Marc Thorpe, who knows his muskies, that he won't take them out of the net. That said, pike are way tougher.

billie
07-31-2012, 10:23 PM

Hey, to each their own. It was offered as education. I find fish pretty slippery and see no reason whatsoever to not handle them for the best release possible, this is C&R we are discussing, not harvest. The net is a simple tool that can assist and actually make it easier.

And I had mine disconnected after our two kids :sign0161:.

I'm done.

Geezle
07-31-2012, 10:37 PM

Win!

shredneck
07-31-2012, 11:15 PM

Here's a refresher.
http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing/SafetyProcedures/FishHandling.aspx

pelada trochu
08-01-2012, 01:52 AM
Hey, to each their own. It was offered as education. I find fish pretty slippery and see no reason whatsoever to not handle them for the best release possible, this is C&R we are discussing, not harvest. The net is a simple tool that can assist and actually make it easier.

And I had mine disconnected after our two kids :sign0161:.

I'm done.

Does your net ever get all slimy after landing a pike. How about thrashing around after they are lifted.

Net them only for your safety. Toss the hammer handles gently. Sterilize your net between lakes. Use a cradle for the monsters. Weigh with a cradle.

We all love trying the new baits or superlines. Maybe some new things are actually better. That may also include better handling methods. Just saying imo

SnoochyBoochy
08-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Here's a refresher.
http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing/SafetyProcedures/FishHandling.aspx

Thank you! useful.

justinO
08-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Handling fish in anyway can be harmful if done wrong. When dealing with Pike, Walleye, and Lakers myself and everyone I fish with hold them by the lower jaw right where it meets the gill plate not touching the gills ever. If you stick your fingers actually into the gills then you can hurt the fish and will most likely hurt yourself. Netts can be harmfull to a fish too depending on the material and how they are used. This goes for lip grips also. All you can do is try your best to get the fish back in the water as healthy as possible to enjoy seeing them swim away to fight another day.

Lets not feed the Antis with negatives about fishing

Stewie
08-01-2012, 04:11 PM

x2

Redfrog
08-01-2012, 06:27 PM
I don't understand all the elite C/R pundits twisting the lip on a bass.