PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best to fish for pike near high river

Fishingaddict
08-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Hello I am 13 I live in high river and want to know where I could find some big pike whether it be rivers or lake thnx for all your help

WayneChristie
08-01-2012, 07:02 PM
welcome to the forum. try Clear Lake, or even better fish PCR (do a quick search) there you can get a ton of hungry little walleyes, and some very big pike.

Fishingaddict
08-01-2012, 10:05 PM
I have been to pine coulee before but can't catch pike off dock where is good spot to cath the good sized pike?

BeeGuy
08-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Try working the shorelines with something that doesn't run too deep.

WayneChristie
08-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Try working the shorelines with something that doesn't run too deep.

and is BIG

slivers86
08-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Large spoons will work well, make sure to keep it up like wayne said, once it hits the weeds you'll just catch muck all day. I caught a pike on a frog there once just off the docks.

Fishingaddict
08-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks guys so much turns out we were planning on going camping at pine coulee this weekend so will try everything you said thanks again

Ryan

Rick.
08-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Last Friday I had the grand-kids fishing at PCR. Later in the afternoon one wanted to troll for pike and I caught the biggest pike of my life! Was totally surprised and grateful. We were in shallow and just making a turn to deeper water when it hit. Funny thing is he never got one so we will be going back. I've fished McGregor lots this year and although I've caught lots of Pike they have all been on the small side. But some really nice walleye in there. Wherever you go, plan on having fun and you will. Rick.

HighRiver
08-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Traverse and McGregor have small pike. Pine coulee has good sized pike that can be caught without a boat, although I only target the walleye there, I occasionally get one on my line.

I am usure if you have vehicle access or not, but Keho nearer to Lethbridge produces some gigantic pike that requires 4 strong men to pull in.

Fishingaddict
08-07-2012, 03:07 PM
So convinced my mom to take me to pine coulee the other day and had plenty of walleye off the dock tried along shore for a few hours nothing using a large spoon and keeping it off the bottom as best as I could but while fishing off the dock had probably a 2 and a half foot pike come and follow my walleye up to the dock where I could see it my buddy had the same thing happen talk about live bait hahahahaha but going to keep at it thank you to everyone who gave some tips :)

slivers86
08-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Just wait till ice season :) MANY large pike within 1.5 hour drive of high river

Fishingaddict
08-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Just wait till ice season :) MANY large pike within 1.5 hour drive of high river

Just wondering but where do you mean by that?

Fishingaddict
08-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Just reading about more on Keho lake and people say it is not safe to eat the fish is this true?:confused:

gprime27
08-09-2012, 01:56 PM
I know lot of spots in that area but, I won't share because a certain someone will just chime in

winger7mm
08-09-2012, 07:26 PM
I know lot of spots in that area but, I won't share because a certain someone will just chime in

Not me is it ;) bahaha

Fishingaddict
08-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Sooooooo can you? :confused:

Tcw
08-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Just tell your mother she can come with.
I will take you both out and in to some pike.
Have all the gear on the boat so you don't need anything; your mother can fish also or just enjoy the outing.
Feel free to call.
It would be my pleasure to take a young person out.
Sundays or after 5 are best

Tcw
08-09-2012, 08:14 PM

I also have my spots, and the people that know me are rewarded.
Fishing, and time away is grand. Folks have there favoite spots, as do I.
Spots have moved all around this year. Not sure why, water level most likely, but my count is 300 plus, with fewer trips out this year.
My new passion, is top water,, not as many landed,, but most certianly a blast.
I guess this went a little side ways,,, oh well:thinking-017:

WayneChristie
08-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Traverse and McGregor have small pike.

yah nothing over 40 pounds :rolleye2:

Fishingaddict
08-09-2012, 10:06 PM
yah nothing over 40 pounds :rolleye2:

Holy if your vision of small pike is 40 pounds you and I are way different my vision is 2 pounds hahahahaha

wildcat111
08-09-2012, 10:25 PM
i was check by fish and wildlife last winter at pine coulee and he told me and my buddy that the fish in pcr and clear lake wern't safe to eat, his actual words were he went feed them to his dog, the reservoirs aren't old enough and the mercury content is very high. something about the bugs are full of it , and the fish eat the bugs , ect , ect. feel free to confirm with your local fish and wildlife officer.

WayneChristie
08-09-2012, 10:28 PM
i was check by fish and wildlife last winter at pine coulee and he told me and my buddy that the fish in pcr and clear lake wern't safe to eat, his actual words were he went feed them to his dog, the reservoirs aren't old enough and the mercury content is very high. something about the bugs are full of it , and the fish eat the bugs , ect , ect. feel free to confirm with your local fish and wildlife officer.

Twin lake as well.

Fishingaddict
08-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Tried both high river and lethbridge fish and wildlife and both are off till the 13th of August :angry3:

RayL42
08-10-2012, 10:25 AM

Below is a link that will give you an idea of where you can safely consume fish

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing/SafetyProcedures/FishConsumptionAdvisory.aspx

Fishingaddict
08-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Thank you so much that helped a hole lot I now know what is safe to eat:happy0034:

tara_13
08-12-2012, 09:08 PM
I also have my spots, and the people that know me are rewarded.
Fishing, and time away is grand. Folks have there favoite spots, as do I.
Spots have moved all around this year. Not sure why, water level most likely, but my count is 300 plus, with fewer trips out this year.
My new passion, is top water,, not as many landed,, but most certianly a blast.
I guess this went a little side ways,,, oh well:thinking-017:

Sounds like a blast Tcw.. Maybe you can tell me where to fish them, cause Im having the damndest time looking for my 1st pike ! I only seem to catch the Wallyeys.
I mainly catch trout and I see your other post, trout hasnt been your fancy, maybe we can exchange stories. IC your in High River
:thinking-006:

FishinDaddy
08-13-2012, 09:56 PM
the alberta fishing guide provides consumption guidelines for fish in alberta. Here is the one for PCR: http://www.albertafishingguide.com/location/water/all/pine-coulee-reservoir