PDA

View Full Version : August long - camping?

Guitarplayingfish
08-01-2012, 10:09 AM
We all know August long is going to be a joke - Crowds of people everywhere, kids partying and disrespecting other campers/the environment... What else is new.

Anyway, with this in mind I have been trying to find a quieter place to camp. My mother really wants to camp with me this weekend, and we were thinking we may try to canoe-in to a place to camp. I would really like to hit Grey-wells or whatever it is called by golden (only canoe-only lake in north america I think), but that is just too far away from home.

Anyone have some suggestions as to canoe-camping or hike-in camping? I don't want to deal with the crowds this weekend.. I know it will be tough to avoid but thought I would give the AO forum a shout.

PM me if you have any suggestions!
Thanks,
GPF

Albertadiver
08-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Barrier Lake has a backcountry campground you can canoe to.

Guitarplayingfish
08-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Barrier Lake has a backcountry campground you can canoe to.

Nice, I will look into it!

Problem with that though is the fishing - I hear it is not very productive, and I need to fish!

Will definately look into that though, thanks.

The Fisherman Guy
08-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Wells Gray is a spectacular area, if you plan on tackling it in a canoe, with your Mother, I hope you are a very proficient paddler. The wind up there can come up in an instant, and can get you into trouble quickly.

Barrier holds fish, they're just tough to catch.

If you want to backcountry camp, try the Kinbasket, or better yet check out the backroads map books for the abundance of small lakes in the Golden area.

Have fun, drive safe. The roads are going to be absolutely crazy heading into BC.

Guitarplayingfish
08-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Wells Gray is a spectacular area, if you plan on tackling it in a canoe, with your Mother, I hope you are a very proficient paddler. The wind up there can come up in an instant, and can get you into trouble quickly.

Barrier holds fish, they're just tough to catch.

If you want to backcountry camp, try the Kinbasket, or better yet check out the backroads map books for the abundance of small lakes in the Golden area.

Have fun, drive safe. The roads are going to be absolutely crazy heading into BC.

I really want to head towards Golden, but it is just too far. Kinbasket or however you spell it is a nice place, was just looking at some land in the area.. unfortunately I am not a millionaire haha.

As for Wells Gray, Paddling is not a problem.. In fact I am fairly certain my mom is in better physical condition than I, she does 2-3 hikes every weekend, not to mention her kayak adventures! its just the distance getting there.. too far of a drive.

I think we have taken the easy way out - I have someone on their way out as we speak to find a campsite so we aren't driving around aimlessly come friday. Looks like it's going to be another old fasion weekend of walk & wade flyfishing.

Thanks for your input guys, Hope you enjoy your long weekend!

ÜberFly
08-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Well-Grey PP is up buy 100 mile house and is at least a 10 hour drive + from Calgary!!!

LCCFisherman
08-01-2012, 03:04 PM
wells gray is a spectacular area, if you plan on tackling it in a canoe, with your mother, i hope you are a very proficient paddler.

ahhhhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha as if erik

Guitarplayingfish
08-01-2012, 03:07 PM
ahhhhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha as if erik

shad up Ryan... haha. I know my way around the Canoe... and seriously, my mom is ridiculously fit - She could probably destroy you on a hiking challenge. Actually I KNOW she could.

See you next week, I'll teach you how to fish.

LCCFisherman
08-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Good luck my little fly fishin buddy.. you know the score!