PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into fly fishing-gear help please

HighRiver
08-02-2012, 01:52 PM
I decided to get back into the traditional fly fishing instead of just tossing a fly and torpedo float onto my spinning rod.
Could you folks recommend a good pair of wading boots under $120? Aswell maybe even a good 1 or 2 person pontoon boat. I see costco had some pontoon boats but the reviews I have read are either fantastic or terrifying :sHa_shakeshout: Thanks in advance

Guitarplayingfish
08-02-2012, 01:58 PM
I decided to get back into the traditional fly fishing instead of just tossing a fly and torpedo float onto my spinning rod.
Could you folks recommend a good pair of wading boots under $120? Aswell maybe even a good 1 or 2 person pontoon boat. I see costco had some pontoon boats but the reviews I have read are either fantastic or terrifying :sHa_shakeshout: Thanks in advance

For years I could not afford wading boots. I just used a big pair of sandles that velcro'd together at the top, seemed to work just fine and only cost me 10$...

Ended up getting some Bass pro wading boots a while ago... payed 45$ or something for them, and they did not even last 2 months (as I fly-fish every weekend). I still use them, but everything has fallen apart and broken..
In other words, you get what you pay for.. (usually).

HighRiver
08-02-2012, 02:04 PM
I am currently using a 8 year old pair of sneakers, but theyre reading to fall apart.

Guitarplayingfish
08-02-2012, 02:07 PM
I am currently using a 8 year old pair of sneakers, but theyre reading to fall apart.

Well there ya go! Get another cheap pair for 10 or 15$ from Walmart or something...

As much as I hate supporting big corperations like that... I'm consistently broke. Money I do have goes towards getting into the great outdoors.

Doc
08-02-2012, 06:36 PM
I consider wading boots disposable so if I get two yrs out of a pair I'm happy. These Chota's have last me into my third season so far and I'm in them a lot. There on sale right now at the fishin' hole.

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=22006

Cheers,
Doc

Doc
08-02-2012, 06:38 PM
As far as pontoon boats, you can't go wrong with Outcast. Fantastic warranty and built to last.

Cheers,
Doc

Toirtis
08-06-2012, 11:21 AM
I consider wading boots disposable so if I get two yrs out of a pair I'm happy. These Chota's have last me into my third season so far and I'm in them a lot. There on sale right now at the fishin' hole.

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=22006

Cheers,
Doc

I would tend to agree on these....my Chotas lasted three seasons before I retired them.

slivers86
08-06-2012, 01:07 PM

I got my boots at cabela's, I'll post the name of them later when I get home. They are vibrax sole and composite boot, so far so good.

I think they were around 165$

Bhflyfisher
08-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Depending on how much money you have...

I have had milanos, hodgemans, korkers and all... this year i got a pair of simms guide boots. The best boots i have ever had, super comfy and very durable. They aren't cheap though. 195.99 reg i think.

Jayhad
08-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Chota .