PDA

View Full Version : ***MUST READ!***Fishery restriction on Red Deer River and tributaries

FishingMOM
08-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Just recieved

Message from Alberta Fish & Wildlife Division
Fishery restriction on Red Deer River and tributaries

This email is to inform anglers that starting August 7, 2012, fishing upstream of Dickson Dam on the Red Deer River and its tributaries will be restricted to catch-and-release only for the remainder of the season.

A zero harvest restriction is in place as a precautionary measure, as government experts will be conducting a population sampling program to determine if there were any impacts to fish stocks in the waterways as a result of a pipeline spill in early June.

Anglers will not be allowed to harvest fish upstream of the Dickson Dam, including Gleniffer Reservoir and Dickson Trout Pond. The area includes the main-stem of the Red Deer River from Gleniffer Lake to the Banff National Park boundary, and all flowing tributary waters.

Angler harvest in the affected area is still permitted in Burnstick Lake and in the following stocked trout lakes and ponds:
• Beaver Lake,
• Dormer Lake,
• Eagle Lake,
• Birch Lake, and
• Yellowhead Lake.

Specific regulations still apply, which can be found in the Alberta 2012 Sportfishing Regulations.

More information, including maps of the affected area, will be available after 12:00 p.m. on Friday, August 3 at www.mywildalberta.ca

Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development
9915-108 Street
Edmonton, AB T5K 2G8
Email srd.infocent@gov.ab.ca

http://www.industrymailout.com/Industry/View.aspx?id=383112&q=489468987&qz=98651d

Guitarplayingfish
08-02-2012, 03:46 PM
I got this e-mail too... Did they e-mail everyone in AB? haha

Hopefully the spill didn't cause too much damage... I can see there being some problems though.

calgarygringo
08-02-2012, 04:03 PM
I assume everyone they have an email on their database got it like we did. I wonder what is really up that brought this up. I bet there is more behind this email.

FishingMOM
08-02-2012, 04:14 PM
I assume everyone they have an email on their database got it like we did. I wonder what is really up that brought this up. I bet there is more behind this email.

wonder if people are noticing anything unusual?
Higher numbers of dead fish?

Kokanee9
08-02-2012, 05:01 PM
I'm glad someone took the initiative to make a change like this in mid season. I hope it helps assessing any harm to wildlife and fish.

FishingMOM
08-02-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm glad someone took the initiative to make a change like this in mid season. I hope it helps assessing any harm to wildlife and fish.

hopefully they will start working faster on these things in the future.

Dust1n
08-02-2012, 06:57 PM
F&W never emailed me but I'm not sure how they would get my email to start with, I'm glad for dickson trout pond, it gets pounded hard and with this protection we could see some larger fish!

WayneChristie
08-02-2012, 07:02 PM
F&W never emailed me but I'm not sure how they would get my email to start with, I'm glad for dickson trout pond, it gets pounded hard and with this protection we could see some larger fish!

with 3 eyes :bad_boys_20:

Fishnafterwork
08-06-2012, 01:42 AM
Ya my buddy from bc even got the email ... Seems to b linked to the win cards...

Here is what I don't understand.....

Why only upstream of the Dickson dam?!?

Days after the oil spill ( or as the notice signs read "oil release")
All acssess to the dam was blocked with signs at every turn that there was no access to the river till further notice. And if the " release" was only a few km upstream of Dickson dam does it not stand to reason it's flowing down past red deer and through countless citys on it's way to dief. AND if the oil was gonna have any tough time getting down there someone decided to open the main spillway and let water rush downstream ?!? I'm deffinately no environmental expert but why the heck would the main spillway b closed all year and suddenly opened right after the spill and then closed up again shortly after ( kinda seems like they were trying to do a quick flush) ..... And meanwhile Dickson res. was no where near carrying capacity!!

Like I said I'm no environmental impact expert but common sense woulda led me to think they should limit water flow as best as possible while they tryed to contain the mess?

Where is the testing downstream ?? This water is relied upon by some major cities and countless smaller ones!!

I was so tempted to go back with a big felt pen an change every one of those stupid signs
To: OIL SPILL!!

And finally about the Dickson trout pond I agree with fish hunter7!! We got what we thought was a killer tip about this pond with rainbows biting like crazy in the evenings so we left the dam and found this pond... To say this pond was busy is an understatement!!!! Seems like a nice place but the sight of a small pond that takes 3 F&W's to check all the people had us boogieing back to the river!!! I imagine its a lot better on a weekday but ya.. If it sees that much pressure ....

Mutter87
08-06-2012, 09:45 AM
YES!! I hope these lakes stay C&R and that more lakes are added!!

matathonman
08-09-2012, 04:12 AM
Ya my buddy from bc even got the email ... Seems to b linked to the win cards...

Here is what I don't understand.....

Why only upstream of the Dickson dam?!?

Days after the oil spill ( or as the notice signs read "oil release")
All acssess to the dam was blocked with signs at every turn that there was no access to the river till further notice. And if the " release" was only a few km upstream of Dickson dam does it not stand to reason it's flowing down past red deer and through countless citys on it's way to dief. AND if the oil was gonna have any tough time getting down there someone decided to open the main spillway and let water rush downstream ?!? I'm deffinately no environmental expert but why the heck would the main spillway b closed all year and suddenly opened right after the spill and then closed up again shortly after ( kinda seems like they were trying to do a quick flush) ..... And meanwhile Dickson res. was no where near carrying capacity!!

Like I said I'm no environmental impact expert but common sense woulda led me to think they should limit water flow as best as possible while they tryed to contain the mess?

Where is the testing downstream ?? This water is relied upon by some major cities and countless smaller ones!!

I was so tempted to go back with a big felt pen an change every one of those stupid signs
To: OIL SPILL!!

And finally about the Dickson trout pond I agree with fish hunter7!! We got what we thought was a killer tip about this pond with rainbows biting like crazy in the evenings so we left the dam and found this pond... To say this pond was busy is an understatement!!!! Seems like a nice place but the sight of a small pond that takes 3 F&W's to check all the people had us boogieing back to the river!!! I imagine its a lot better on a weekday but ya.. If it sees that much pressure ....

They are put and take lakes...not everything can be catchj and release.
Never gonna contain that ****. Better off to let it go and take it's course...

JimPS
08-09-2012, 09:47 AM
... concern that the oil spill killed of enough insect life that mortality will occur in young fish.

Off course the oil company spin will be that the spill killed no fish - they just starved to death because there was no food.

The article also mentioned that a class action lawsuit has been launched against Plains Midstream.

Anybody know the details?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/08/07/red-deer-river-fishing_n_1752902.html

Pretty nice embedded fishing video with the article.

Jim