PDA

View Full Version : 16' Aluminum Boat

hal53
08-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Bought a boat from a great guy here a couple months ago, it is older and the paint job shows it, Very sound boat. Was wondering if anyone has painted one or knows someone who does this????
Thanks

fish gunner
08-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Bought a boat from a great guy here a couple months ago, it is older and the paint job shows it, Very sound boat. Was wondering if anyone has painted one or knows someone who does this????
Thanks

self etching primer for aluminum and your good to go. any good paint supply shop should be able to give you the correct products for painting your new craft. hope that helps.

hal53
08-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Sounds good...but I guess the question is...it's got an 80 HP motor on it and guide rails on the trailer...how the heck do you paint everything???....just wondering....

fish gunner
08-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Sounds good...but I guess the question is...it's got an 80 HP motor on it and guide rails on the trailer...how the heck do you paint everything???....just wondering....

shop with a fork lift. pull off motor. build a wooden bunk on the forks built to allow the bow to be chained to the top of the fork lift pillar. tilt boat to allow access to 90% of hull then place on big saw horses to paint the remaining parts of hull. I have in the past lifted the boat with straps placed so they could be painted after the hull is back on trailer. measure twice paint once lol. or lift one side with a engine hoist whilst straping down the other. spray & repeat. hope that helps. safety first then git er done
with the fork lift approach from the stern block and strap the transom secure to the fork bunk. tilting lifts the bow.