PDA

View Full Version : Sucker fish in trout pond

coorslight
08-02-2012, 06:36 PM
I was the trout pond the over flowed into the parking lot there were 25 or so nice suckers swimming in like 3 or 4 inches of water all day all the time how would I catch them. I tried spinners and tiny ball or power bait and a hook

WayneChristie
08-02-2012, 07:07 PM
3 inches of water? try your bare hands :bad_boys_20: they are partial to worms

FishingMOM
08-02-2012, 07:10 PM
walk into the puddle and catch them

coorslight
08-02-2012, 07:47 PM
I tried they swimm away so fast hitting te parking blocks then off I the deep

KegRiver
08-02-2012, 08:35 PM
I tried they swimm away so fast hitting te parking blocks then off I the deep

So I take it they are now in the deep water, (your dugout).

I believe Wayne is on the right track. A small hook, a worm and a ton of patience, might do the trick. I have caught a few on worms over the years.
More by accident then by design though.

Have you considered leaving them, they won't harm the Trout and they might clean up the dugout a bit.

Mind you, if you were to decide you might want to let them stay, I would advise you talk to F&W about it.
There is the potential that someone, at a later date, might think you put them in there and of course, it is illegal to put fish into any water you did not take them from. It could get complicated.

With that in mind, I wonder if F&W would remove them for you?
It's worth a try. If you explain to them how they got there and that you don't want this to come back and haunt you later, they might be willing to help, or at least offer suggestions.

WayneChristie
08-02-2012, 08:58 PM
a bow and a fishing arrow would work great too. just watch out for the pavement rebounds :scared0018: take them to one of the wildlife rescue centers and they will feed them to their birds. or eat them yourself, should be clean if they are in a trout pond.

KegRiver
08-02-2012, 09:34 PM
I think I misunderstood.

You mean Trout Pond as in one of those shallow back yard things of Trout Pond as in farm dugout?

It makes a difference. If they are in shallow water, you should be able to scoop them up with a landing net. If the water is too deep for that, then I think worms would be your best option, unless you want to net your pond.

I know some farmers who stock Trout in their dugouts, remove all the fish by sweeping the whole pond with a net. With that method, the Trout could be returned to the water and the Suckers harvested for your consumption and/or to feed animals at a Zoo, rescue centre, or some such use.

Guitarplayingfish
08-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Sounds like Beavauis when the suckers are spawning... like 5 in a 5 ft long stream swimming in 2-3 inches of water.. haha

LCCFisherman
08-03-2012, 07:15 AM
Goulet