PDA

View Full Version : Bulltrout...... lures/spinners/cranks....etc?

whitetail Junkie
08-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Going to try for some bulltrout this september,just wondering if there is some magical lure out there for them bad boys? Any specific colors that work better? Thanks,WJ!

Burns
08-02-2012, 10:27 PM
I have been catching a whole pile of bull trout the last 2 weeks ranging from 4" up to 23" using mepps spinners. Color didn't seem to matter. Buddy was fishing with me using a fly set up and was catching them using large flies, didn't matter what type or color. They seem to be a quite aggressive fish so if you find em I'm sure you can catch em.

Alberta Bigbore
08-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Wish we had bullies close to Edmonton. Like....close.

redneckricer
08-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Krokadiles work very well for bulls, where I go the silver with sliver flashing sticker work the best

Flyfisher87
08-02-2012, 10:39 PM
No particular lure or pattern really stands out for me. I have caught them on various nymphs, streamers, spinners and spoons in different color variations and sizes. They are certainly fun to fish for.

fishdude17
08-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Tie a shoe to your line with a hook on the other end of the shoe and you'll catch bull trout. Those fish eat anything...

Speckle55
08-02-2012, 11:11 PM
WJ .. think what are they eating .. if fishing a river with whitefish then some thing silver or white but bigger is better .. spoons/rapps/streamers/jigs

In Kootenay lake in April 2011 i got 4 over 5 # the biggest being 8#1 at 87ft down on downrigger with this color Lyman Lure you see in pic .. no one but us were catching that day until we gave them the footage when talking on radio then they came on radio they caught a 18 # bull gheee should of been us lmao .. this pic is from 2009 Dec but its the same color lyman lure ..they are eating kokanee in Kootenay and you could see them at around that footage..on my avatar is a Bull 7# er on the dock with two Rainbow in my hands

the key when fishing Big Bulls is to match the hatch so to say = match what they are eating where you are fishing or be close too that !!!

Food for Thought
David:)

fish gunner
08-02-2012, 11:16 PM
white, green, yellow, black curly tail jigs. bring lots your in for a snag o rama and the bigger bulls. streamers on a sink tip or full sink also bring lots to hand. look for the deepest darkest pools and work away from deep water. get the big ones first.

albertadeer
08-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Going to try for some bulltrout this september,just wondering if there is some magical lure out there for them bad boys? Any specific colors that work better? Thanks,WJ!

White jigs.....

Any large spinner will work, spoons do alright. But white jigs....

MoFugger21
08-03-2012, 01:10 AM
Silver or gold or copper #2 or #3 blue fox spinners have been the ticket for me in the past. Find out where they're holding- cut banks, under trees, large pools- let the spinner flutter down for a second before beginning retrieval, and usually as soon as the spinner starts heading upstream- whammy!

As mentioned, they're quite aggressive and sometimes they'll hit damn near anything.

whitetail Junkie
08-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks for all the tips guys.The white jig thing I have to try!
I got these two bulls last week on a red/white & blue minnow crank.

27" & 29.5"

Thanks again,wJ

addictedfisherman
08-03-2012, 03:41 PM
I've had really good luck on #2 len Thompsons in just about every color.
same thing with spinners.