PDA

View Full Version : How to catch perch?

TheKi
08-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Never even tried before But because the lake im going to doesn't allow the keeping of walleye i have no choice if i want to eat some fresh fish camping.
Iv been reading around the forum and iv done some Google searches and it seems to be weed beds and deep holes are the best. My boat is unusable due to a busted prop(which may or may not of been my fault :thinking-006:) so ill be casting from shore. Im Going ultra light for this because im not expecting anything to big; light action five piece take down rod with 8ilb test spider wire braid line.
My question from here is what should i use? Spoons and slip jigging like i do for walleye or something else?

WayneChristie
08-02-2012, 09:28 PM
if you are using perch lures in that lake be prepared to lose some to pike, maybe even very big pike. spinners and small spoons work when they are in the mood, or maggots or worms under a bobber.

TheKi
08-02-2012, 10:09 PM
if you are using perch lures in that lake be prepared to lose some to pike, maybe even very big pike. spinners and small spoons work when they are in the mood, or maggots or worms under a bobber.

probably be under a bobber the whole time. Hopefully ill have some good pictures when i get back.

Another question, i have some yellow gulp twister tails, should i try them, if i do i know ill hook up on some walleye but i really want to target perch

Commander B
08-02-2012, 10:53 PM
a fixed bobber {so it will not slide like a slip bobber} with enough line below to clear the weeds while you reel in pausing often can also be effective from shore.

Perch i find are more inclined to hit on a rising or falling offering than one that is close to the surface.

B.

Wile E.
08-03-2012, 12:32 AM
Use a slip bobber with about a 4 or 6 inch "stinger" attached and hanging below either a small "perch" colored spoon or a shiny chrome or gold "deadly dick". Put 2 meal worms on each treble hook. If the perch are aggressive, they'll bite the spoon, if they are spooked by the spoon, they'll take the meal worms on the stinger. This works great, but don't tell anyone about my trick. LOL

TROLLER
08-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Never even tried before But because the lake im going to doesn't allow the keeping of walleye i have no choice if i want to eat some fresh fish camping.
Iv been reading around the forum and iv done some Google searches and it seems to be weed beds and deep holes are the best. My boat is unusable due to a busted prop(which may or may not of been my fault :thinking-006:) so ill be casting from shore. Im Going ultra light for this because im not expecting anything to big; light action five piece take down rod with 8ilb test spider wire braid line.
My question from here is what should i use? Spoons and slip jigging like i do for walleye or something else?

Why not just buy a new prop. Propmaster in Airdrie most likely has what you need in stock and can also repair the one that is messed up.

TheKi
08-03-2012, 01:35 PM
i trashed the prob to the point that it can only be replaced :1041: and its my dads boat and he doesn't want to throw money at it right now

Mmtobias
09-22-2012, 08:42 AM
anyone catch perch at Travers res? I was going to try next weekend down by the spillway where there are some weeds. I have never fished for perch before, any recommendations for lures or bait?

Chris84
09-22-2012, 09:01 AM
I would try minnows and/or worms on a pickeral rig. If you can find them, this should get you a whole mess of perch. As far as location, I've never targeted perch in travers. I would imagine though that they are riding the edge of the weed beds sitting in about 20-30' of water right now.

Mmtobias
09-22-2012, 09:13 AM
I would try minnows and/or worms on a pickeral rig. If you can find them, this should get you a whole mess of perch. As far as location, I've never targeted perch in travers. I would imagine though that they are riding the edge of the weed beds sitting in about 20-30' of water right now.
I have never targeted perch rhere either, but i am taking my nephew and brother in-law out for their first fishing trip. I know we will catch some walleye and pike, but i hear that perch are very tasty and would love to catch some. :)

TROLLER
09-22-2012, 10:04 AM
anyone catch perch at Travers res? I was going to try next weekend down by the spillway where there are some weeds. I have never fished for perch before, any recommendations for lures or bait?

Only thing I have seen caught there are whitefish. You can see them rising first thing in the morn and they hit the flies pretty hard.

Mmtobias
09-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Only thing I have seen caught there are whitefish. You can see them rising first thing in the morn and they hit the flies pretty hard.

I caught lots of walleye and pike there last year on minnows and jigs. It lists perch in that lake in the regs but haven't seen any. I will probably spend an hour fishing the weeds and then move on. White fish are always good too.