PDA

View Full Version : best walleye rods?

Graffy91
08-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Looking to setup a nice rod/reel combo, already got a other good setup, but I just want a extra setup.

My current is a pflueger supreme xt which I use combined with Compre Spinning Shimano that I got for 50 dollars on sale from 100.

Current rod is a medium heavy/fast action rod. Mainly used for pike, but for the river/walleye fishing I am forced to use this too.

Looking into getting a medium/light rod for walleye I think, due to their nature on being light nibblers.

Anyone got any suggestions on just a rod? Or a rod/reel combo for about 100 bucks?

Any help would be appreciated, would be using it in the river as well, found a super sick walleye hole. :D :sHa_shakeshout:

addictedfisherman
08-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Fenwick eagle GT 7' ML is 60 bucks @ TFH
Pair that with a Mitchel Avocet 2 and thats a decent combo for around 100 bucks.
For an extra 15 bucks you could get a Pflueger Trion reel. its a big step up from the Mitchell.

Graffy91
08-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Fenwick eagle GT 7' ML is 60 bucks @ TFH
Pair that with a Mitchel Avocet 2 and thats a decent combo for around 100 bucks.
For an extra 15 bucks you could get a Pflueger Trion reel. its a big step up from the Mitchell.

Can I get this rod in a medium-light fast action?

Alberta Bigbore
08-03-2012, 03:24 PM
for the $100 range? Go to Cabela's, WSS, AND fishin' Holes, look for the St.Croix Eyecon.... Comes in 2 PC or a 1 PC if you like a 1pc. 6'6". Makes a nice walleye stick for $100-120. Not telling you to buy it, just check it out, you may walk out with one.

addictedfisherman
08-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Can I get this rod in a medium-light fast action?

its a 4 piece Medium light power and med/fast action rod. I use it for slip bobbing, and a pack rod for larger trout. if you save up a few extra bucks you can get into some really good gear. Look at the Rapala Ts2 series of rods and the Rapala walleye and trout series. they range from 75-90 bucks and get you into a good quality rod. My suggestions would be to wait until the fishin hole has the Wall to wall sale at the end of aug and go find yourself a deal!

THERICARDO
08-03-2012, 04:11 PM
I have a question also, I am going to Tobin lake next weekend for some walleye action and am planning to go buy a new rod also.

Will be using a Abu Garcia Revo SX as my reel and am wondering if i should go with Medium action rod also?? Never had a setup strictly for Walleye before and know Tobin has some monster pike also so what would be my best option? Looking at St Croix Legend Tournament Rod or Rapala Walleye series.. or should i go with something different?

Like Graffy i will also use for river fishing after my trip...

Teamprotz
08-03-2012, 04:17 PM
You realize the Premiers Cup walleye tournament is next weekend in the river at Nipawin , unless you're in the tournament , hope you're fishing the lake !

THERICARDO
08-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Yes and yes, my cousin has been a guide there for last 8 years so because of tournament he is off for the weekend which means he gets to take us out fishing! River has been terrible so not too worried about that and besides we will be there for 6 days so plenty of time for river after tourney is finished if thats what we choose i guess.

thanks for heads up though.. appreciate it

Teamprotz
08-03-2012, 05:34 PM
River Has NOT been terrible ! Not sure who gave that info. Lake has been really good though. Have fun.

Graffy91
08-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys, leaving for my farm on Sunday and hoping to get some fishing done out there on the NSR and SSR when I get into Saskatoon and check out the wholesale sports and cabelas there. :D

buckmaster
08-03-2012, 10:28 PM
if you could wait about 3 more weeks,the fishinhole is having there year end sale at the end of the month.

Alberta Bigbore
08-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Really???if you could wait about 3 more weeks,the fishinhole is having there year end sale at the end of the month.

davegrant
08-03-2012, 11:16 PM
I have a question also, I am going to Tobin lake next weekend for some walleye action and am planning to go buy a new rod also.

Will be using a Abu Garcia Revo SX as my reel and am wondering if i should go with Medium action rod also?? Never had a setup strictly for Walleye before and know Tobin has some monster pike also so what would be my best option? Looking at St Croix Legend Tournament Rod or Rapala Walleye series.. or should i go with something different?

Like Graffy i will also use for river fishing after my trip...

Definately St. Croix or G-Loomis amazing light and sensitive rods
Rapala Walleye rod amazing CRAP. I own the 7ft MED Heavy caster and is about as sensitive as my Fibreglass Ugly Stik. Very dissapointed with this
supposedly sensitive Walleye rod. Garbage.

addictedfisherman
08-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Definately St. Croix or G-Loomis amazing light and sensitive rods
Rapala Walleye rod amazing CRAP. I own the 7ft MED Heavy caster and is about as sensitive as my Fibreglass Ugly Stik. Very dissapointed with this
supposedly sensitive Walleye rod. Garbage.

Good luck finding a g-loomis or good St. Croix rod with a reel for 100 bucks... you could easily triple his budget and still only be able to buy a rod.

I do agree they are a much better rod but not even close his budget.

If the op would get a little more specific about what he wants to do with the rod
ie, jigging, blading, bottom bouncing or a good crank rod we can def get into a little finer detail about what rod and reel to use.

Cheers.

pelada trochu
08-04-2012, 01:50 AM
Look at the carbon series at basspro. But a walleye rod is many things. If you troll bottom bouncers u need a liht tip and watch the tip for the hit if you jig maybe a firmer tip for feel. Your line can make a poor rod better. So u could try a 8 or 10 lb line to bring back some feel with a light fluoro leader. So its really a very specific question. Personallynfor Jigging my daughter Wasted me the other night 19 fish on a browning 6' light action note they are very stiff. With 500 series sahara and 4lb fluoro to 6lb leader fluoro.

Basically enjoy buying a new rod. Adjust with diff line combos. Within reason.

Penner
08-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Fenwick Walleye Class, medium action, 7ft, spinning. Have had mine for over 10 years. New ones haven't changed much. Best bang for the buck out there hands down. Unbelievable feel to this rod. Casts like a dream ultra-sensitive for trolling too.

Alex87
08-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Hope the OP doesn't mind if I hijack his thread a bit - this is my first post and figured I wouldn't endear myself to the audience here if I started a new one.

I need to basically start from scratch and get some new gear here in AB, so I'd also be interested in advice setting up a rod/reel combo. In the past I've bottom bounced for walleye which has worked well for me, but I'm probably going to do shore fishing exclusively, as I have no boat in the province. I'm not adverse to buying a few different rods, but in the short run I wouldn't mind something with versatility.. I imagine i'll be pulling in walleye, Northerns, etc. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Geezle
08-04-2012, 08:45 AM
While you're at it, take a look at the Shimano Clarus :)

THERICARDO
08-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Geezle I looked at the Clarus but isnt it a Steelhead rod?