PDA

View Full Version : Downrigger draw...?

Tyangelo
08-05-2012, 04:33 PM
In further prep for this upcoming saltwater trip (2 weeks to go!:sHa_shakeshout:) I've been hunting for a kicker within my budget capable of charging the big battery I originally had my Minn Kota hooked up to, which will be powering my downriggers. In a long shaft, this is proving to be tricky...

Question is, are downriggers REALLY going to be that hard on a battery, especially if the option is given to just throw it on a charger every night? Gut feeling tells me that a trolling motor would have exponentially more draw...

Sitkaspruce
08-05-2012, 10:53 PM
In further prep for this upcoming saltwater trip (2 weeks to go!:sHa_shakeshout:) I've been hunting for a kicker within my budget capable of charging the big battery I originally had my Minn Kota hooked up to, which will be powering my downriggers. In a long shaft, this is proving to be tricky...

Question is, are downriggers REALLY going to be that hard on a battery, especially if the option is given to just throw it on a charger every night? Gut feeling tells me that a trolling motor would have exponentially more draw...

Downriggers only draw when it is puling the weight up, other than that they are dormant. Unless you are into a lot of fish and you need to bring the weights up a down a lot, I would not worry about it. You will need to be more worried about your electronics you will be running, than the DR. Run your big motor every once and a while to charge things up if you are worried.

Where are you headed to for your trip??

Cheers

SS

Tyangelo
08-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Fishing around Nanaimo.