PDA

View Full Version : Cold lake limits - learn them

Teamprotz
08-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Just got back from Cold lake. A little slow but c/r 6 lakers and missed a few. It was a zoo ! At the fillet table there was a couple of guys with an 8 yr old. They had on the table one legal pike of about 7lbs and 6 that were maybe 1.5lbs ea. I was unsure of the pike limits/ requirements because I never fish them in Alberta. I guess I should of said something because from what I can see you are allowed 1 over 63cm. And he was slabbing everything as well. With the number of boats out there today , wonder how much this is happening ?

davegrant
08-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Was up there too yesterday.Very slow for us as well at provincial park.
They sure could use a wider launch there with all the impatient boaters.
Seems like boat launch etiquitte now is who can be the biggest A hole.
Average waiting time before people started b**ching = about 1minute 30 seconds. VERY DISCOURAGING. EVERYONE WHO OWNS A BOAT SHOULD SPEND 10 TO 15 MINUTES JUST TO WATCH A BUSY BOAT LAUNCH THEN THERE MIGHT BE A LITTLE MORE PATIENCE. DOUBT IT. LOL

davegrant
08-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Sorry to de-rail there for a minute I better now. This is one of the problems with lake specific regulations. People are too lazy or stupid to check in the guide where they are going to fish and assume the province wide regs apply
See it all the time just remind them to check the regs next time for the lake they are fishing. That's the one thing missing in the regs is an index so people can just look up page # of the lakes with specific regulations.

CBintheNorth
08-06-2012, 02:30 PM
I fish cold lake a lot and the regs are seldom held in high regard from what I've seen. As always I'm sure it's just a few bad apples but lately it seems the reverse. I spoke briefly with the girl doing the survey and she said that by noon that day she had 27 large females go through but was really concerned her was the number of undersized pike and trout coming out. On that day she figured undersized outnumbered legal. Unfortunately she said she was unable to hand out tickets so I offered her my steel fish bonker but she refused. If I had more time that day I would have sat there with it.:mad3:

davegrant
08-06-2012, 02:43 PM
I fish cold lake a lot and the regs are seldom held in high regard from what I've seen. As always I'm sure it's just a few bad apples but lately it seems the reverse. I spoke briefly with the girl doing the survey and she said that by noon that day she had 27 large females go through but was really concerned her was the number of undersized pike and trout coming out. On that day she figured undersized outnumbered legal. Unfortunately she said she was unable to hand out tickets so I offered her my steel fish bonker but she refused. If I had more time that day I would have sat there with it.:mad3:

Whenever I offer girls my bonker I usually get slapped normally by my wife!:)

Have a good one!!!

Levy
08-06-2012, 02:49 PM
I vote we do public caning, instead of fines for wildlife related offences, for one year. Everyone would have the regulations memorized and poaching would bear near zero.

Teamprotz
08-08-2012, 04:29 PM
No sense having rules if there is no one there to enforce it ! Just got back from Dillberry , anyone want to hear wakeboard boat / seadoo rant ?

prodogg02
08-08-2012, 05:57 PM
i was told by a fish cop at jackfish lake that if you phone RAP and they ticket the person u call on. you get 200 bucks. hes like that pays for your fuel atleast. sounds like you could make a living there lol.i have never calld RAP before so i dont know if hes blown smoke up my a... but might have to call next time i see a 5 gallon bucket of trout taken from the lake here in morinville .:angry3:

on launch manors i was at lac stane few weeks ago it was busy . a guy parkd his boat right behind my trailer( i was by myself ) he says i have to pull my truck out so he can load cause i wasnt ready to i just aimd my prop at his master craft an he moved i learnd some new words to lol .:angry3:

338Bluff
08-08-2012, 11:02 PM
No sense having rules if there is no one there to enforce it ! Just got back from Dillberry , anyone want to hear wakeboard boat / seadoo rant ?

did you expect anything different:1041:

I feel your pain and have experienced the red neck regatta many times at dillbery. I used to fish in the little south bay by the beaver house and a wingnut actually came in there on a seadoo and slalomed around the anchored fishing boats. You can nearly chuck a rock across that bay. What a ding dong. Then he cruised all over the shallows looking for fish.:angry3:

Fish dillberry from dawn until about 9:00 AM and then leave if you value your sanity. Leave the float tube at home the jerks in the speed boats will use you for a pylon. Fortunately, there are a few lakes nearby where you can find peace and solitude.

Sorry for the thread hijack. The pike cleaning fiasco sounds like a mix up by some one following the sask regs where only one large fish is allowed and the rest smaller than 75cm (approx??). Cold lake is standardized for both provinces but it can be confusing.

Dust1n
08-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Im going to say in all lilklyhood that most poachers are probibly not even on the forum, if they were they would care about our fishery…anyways call RAP whenever you can so we start busting some of these guys of we only watch and talk about it people will still poach.
I think they should have lakers closed and open every other year so that the lakers can compete with all the pressure;old fish so it can take awhile to get a speciman over 15lbs and greater

DiabeticKripple
08-09-2012, 12:13 AM
I'm reading 1 over 63cm for pike in cold lake. And sask regs are the same.

Teamprotz
08-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Dillberry had so many boating infractions it was ridiculous. No spotters on seadoos pulling boards , a women pulling 2boarders with a small child as a spotter , etc. I don't understand why , with special regs on Cold lake there isn't more enforcement. I got checked on the ice . He went through the truck , tool box and quizzed me up and down ! Yet , nothing on a long weekend.