PDA

View Full Version : big pike caught today

pelada trochu
08-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Witnessed a girl in her twenties.i think, catch a very large pike today. Probably 45" it was great for her. She was very excited. The who boat was very happy. I also saw them drive.off.with it to eat for breakfast. I could never harvest this fish. I was very dissapointed but i just couldnt say anything. So im here to tell the story and.ask those.that.read it. Please you dont want to eat a 25 year.old fish.

What would u do???

pickrel pat
08-05-2012, 08:28 PM
What would u do???

nothing if it was legal.

Stally77
08-05-2012, 08:29 PM
I once saw an american Harvest a 25 pound pike in northern Sk. besides that he prolly packed out 200 pounds of fish from the camp. (walleye and pike combined). Needles to say i was not impressed! When my crew goes up there we catch our daily limit and Pack out the same.(our daily limits) I Believe that keeping any pike over ten pounds is not worth it. They don't taste as good as the smaller ones. But I guess as long as it is over the legal size to keep. It is what it is. Everyone is intitled to their own decisions. If she wanted to keep the big pike so be it. As long as non of it goes to waste!

Gust
08-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Caught a couple of hens a couple of months back,, one was releaseable the other not baked her like a roast and twas fantastic. Oddly, 63cm's is the best tasting,, this size limit needs altering

pelada trochu
08-05-2012, 09:06 PM
I would like to see a slot size and a trophy tag system so that big fish can endup on th e. Wall but nly if u pay a decent.tage.fee.

Of course nothing illegal was done im sure they had all their licenses. But the exciting part was catching it. Not eating it. Why not let her go.

slimjim
08-05-2012, 09:59 PM
I eat everything I catch, its why I fish. I don't understand you catch and release guys. If you went gold panning would you throw the gold back?

Lefty-Canuck
08-05-2012, 10:00 PM
I eat everything I catch, its why I fish. I don't understand you catch and release guys. If you went gold panning would you throw the gold back?

So if you catch an undersize fish or a sucker....you eat it?

LC

pickrel pat
08-05-2012, 10:02 PM

lol, actually pretty funny analogy.

pelada trochu
08-05-2012, 10:06 PM

Thats okay. Dont let it bother you if you dont understand something. Remember the buffalo.

walking buffalo
08-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Witnessed a girl in her twenties.i think, catch a very large pike today. Probably 45" it was great for her. She was very excited. The who boat was very happy. I also saw them drive.off.with it to eat for breakfast. I could never harvest this fish. I was very dissapointed but i just couldnt say anything. So im here to tell the story and.ask those.that.read it. Please you dont want to eat a 25 year.old fish.

What would u do???

I would have congrantulated her while trying to hide my jealous thoughts.

Then I would ask to have my picture taken with the fish, and the girl, so I could post it up here. ;)

pt, Have you ever wondered why KFC never runs out of chicken?

BeeGuy
08-05-2012, 11:13 PM
I try and let people enjoy fishing the way they like it.

I like to fish in many different ways and often harvest fish others would criticize.

Sometimes I make fun of pansy fly chuckers, and sometimes they make fun of my crude spoon chucking.

But in the end, do what you enjoy so long as you are within the reg's and let others do what they enjoy.

Other than that, mind your own business.

What makes you think the fish was destined for breakfast and not the taxidermy shop?

marlin1
08-05-2012, 11:54 PM
if legal ,not much , congrats maybe . I like Walking buffalo's idea though :)

Son of Sniglett
08-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Slim Jim. The gold panning analogy is weak. The value in big fish is in the fact that they exist, and that you were lucky enough to catch one. If you put them back, you can catch them again, and they are even bigger. They are like an appreciating asset.

. . . and, who's eating a whole, entire 45-inch pike? 10 bucks says most of it ends up in someone's freezer, before it ends up in their garbage 5 years later. Totally freezer-burned

BeeGuy
08-06-2012, 01:09 AM
Have any of you guys written your representatives about your concerns?

It would serve you much better than writing about it here.

waterninja
08-06-2012, 02:32 AM
sorry jim i disagree. it's great that you eat everything you catch but if thats all you get out of fishing then i feel sorry for you.

338Bluff
08-06-2012, 03:23 AM
Slim Jim. The gold panning analogy is weak. The value in big fish is in the fact that they exist, and that you were lucky enough to catch one. If you put them back, you can catch them again, and they are even bigger. They are like an appreciating asset.

. . . and, who's eating a whole, entire 45-inch pike? 10 bucks says most of it ends up in someone's freezer, before it ends up in their garbage 5 years later. Totally freezer-burned

I fish a lot and usually harvest a portion of my allowable limit each time I go. If you don't then you maybe just playing with your food:).

Catch and release for the pure pleasure of it just seems a little off base to me.

If I freeze fish it is in a milk carton or zip lock bag with water. I have never thrown fish out and it is usually all gone before the next batch is kept.

I have eaten big pike. Very good out of cold water and easier to de-bone. I agree that the majority should be let go, but once and awhile.....tasty!

I'm pretty much in the say nothing camp. Mind yer own knitting unless they are obviously doing something illegal.

Sponge Bob Fish Pants
08-06-2012, 10:34 AM
I've always been a firm believer of if anything has managed to survive that long to get that big let it go and get bigger :)take a picture and you have your memory , but everyone has their own opinion that's just mine :)

jungleboy
08-06-2012, 10:46 AM

I like to fish in many different ways and often harvest fish others would criticize.

Sometimes I make fun of pansy fly chuckers, and sometimes they make fun of my crude spoon chucking.

But in the end, do what you enjoy so long as you are within the reg's and let others do what they enjoy.

What makes you think the fish was destined for breakfast and not the taxidermy shop?

I agree, thank you . Seems to me there are way too many "my way is the only way " zealots on this forum

Jimboy
08-06-2012, 10:51 AM

AMEN BROTHER ,l love fresh pike , any size , legal of course , well said slim.

pelada trochu
08-06-2012, 10:54 AM

I said nothing to them. It would be way out of line. Just i heard them say mom said bring home some pike for breakfast.

By the way. We caught 4 fish that day. One was just over 39". I had the pleasure of watching it come stright up engulf my bucktail fully and wham it was game on. Had a fantastic enjoyable fight. On 12 lb mono and never had any fear of a break off. We video recorded most of the fight and my camera is underwater type so i even got a little bit right at the boat. Then to my complete happiness we released the fish back into the lake. I will post it if anyone is interested.

We also harvested 2 and had a fish fry with some friends that afternoon.

We were in our rights to harvest that fish as we could legally take 6 and had only 1 in the boat at the time. Is there anyone out there who is sad that i released it so they might be able to catch it.

Jimboy
08-06-2012, 10:56 AM

Maybe your talking about your own freezer experience here , but any fish that goes in my freezer , and yes you have to freeze them sometimes , all get eaten up within 2 months , just to good.

Jimboy
08-06-2012, 10:58 AM
sorry jim i disagree. it's great that you eat everything you catch but if thats all you get out of fishing then i feel sorry for you.

Actually Slim and l feel sorry for you , we get the thrill of the catch and the great meal after the catch that you miss out on .

Iron Byron
08-06-2012, 11:02 AM

Well said... Mind your own business, if it's legal, let them be.

pelada trochu
08-06-2012, 11:13 AM
I said nothing to them. It would be way out of line. Just i heard them say mom said bring home some pike for breakfast.

By the way. We caught 4 fish that day. One was just over 39". I had the pleasure of watching it come stright up engulf my bucktail fully and wham it was game on. Had a fantastic enjoyable fight. On 12 lb mono and never had any fear of a break off. We video recorded most of the fight and my camera is underwater type so i even got a little bit right at the boat. Then to my complete happiness we released the fish back into the lake. I will post it if anyone is interested.

We were in our rights to harvest that fish as we could legally take 6 and had only 1 in the boat at the time. Is there anyone out there who is sad that i released it so they might be able to catch it.

Dont be rude guys i wasnt. Just came here to promote the idea that 2000000 people might have a negative impact on our sport.

BeeGuy
08-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Dont be rude guys i wasnt. Just came here to promote the idea that 2000000 people might have a negative impact on our sport.

What about the pike you harvested?

We're they both females?

2 fish that will never make it to 45".

Lefty-Canuck
08-06-2012, 11:55 AM

OK clear something up for me.....you keep fish to eat them and are critical of of others for doing the same....help me try to understand how what you do is better or any different than what someone else did?

....you kept 2 fish and they kept one....

Is it because you caught a smaller fish and they caught a bigger one?

.....this is confusing....

LC

Mistagin
08-06-2012, 11:56 AM
:rolleye2: Well, some of you guys will be happy to know that I let all three I caught yesterday go - 1 pike and 2 walleye (all legal).

I momentarily debated keeping the walleye (I'm sorry :sHa_sarcasticlol:), but didn't bring a cooler or creel or bag or anything to transport them home with me on the quad. They wouldn't fit in the water bottle with ice I had with me. Shoulda brought a bigger one. They would have made a nice dinner :sad0071:

But, on the other hand, I can maybe go and catch them again - now that we've established a relationship :) :scared0018:

TyreeUM
08-06-2012, 12:18 PM
I dont keep fish, anyone who keeps fish does not care about our resources! Shame on anyone who keeps a legal fish.

I would post more on this but I need to head to superstore, they are having a sale on Chilean Sea Bass and Bluefin Tuna...

highwood
08-06-2012, 12:26 PM
I would throw the big hen back. Buy I'm a "pansy fly chucker" so what the hell do I know.

Redfrog
08-06-2012, 12:28 PM
I would post more on this but I need to head to superstore, they are having a sale on Chilean Sea Bass and Bluefin Tuna...

Processed in China:sHa_shakeshout:

pelada trochu
08-06-2012, 01:22 PM
OK clear something up for me.....you keep fish to eat them and are critical of of others for doing the same....help me try to understand how what you do is better or any different than what someone else did?

....you kept 2 fish and they kept one....

Is it because you caught a smaller fish and they caught a bigger one?

.....this is confusing....

LC

Just being honest. They were smaller fish around legal size. They were also fish numbers 2 and 3 for the year. I have released many many more. I will not keep a large female. Its fine to harvest fish. Just be aware that the lakes we have are getting crowded and they dont support the harvest that we are allowed. I was critical of keeping a 45" pike for food.

CeeZee
08-06-2012, 01:22 PM
well said, put the gold back so hopefully someone else can pan it and have the thrill! Just going hunting for a "trophy buck", bag it, take a picture then release it back into nature for someone else to enjoy.

I would say nothing but a congatulations!

I C&R, and i keep, as long as anyone who is within the legal limits i see no harm, they came up with the size perameters through plenty of research in my opinion, but yes some of it does seem "off".

pelada trochu
08-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Fyi. I also harvested a large log and floating wine bottle. I threw away the log and wasted it. The bottle i kept for the reward.

AppleJax
08-06-2012, 01:53 PM
You say you harvested them "around legal size" does that mean they were legal size or close enough? I keep fish to eat frequently if legal, and release alot more than I keep. If I caught a large pike like that, I would release it if it was in good shape, however if I hurt the fish and I didnt think it would make it I wouldnt hesitate to keep it. Jeaulousy wont get you far.....

BeeGuy
08-06-2012, 02:39 PM
These two threads are really nonsensical.

Either that or I have completely missed the point.

couleefolk
08-06-2012, 03:09 PM
if you keep everything you catch, there would be some very short fishing trips when you can limit out in 15 minutes. this past week was fun fishing, because it was a challenge to catch legal northerns under the 75cm mark, and my daughter was able to catch one that we could keep that was 74.5 cm, so being 8yrs old and having the biggest keeper was a feather in her hat, even though we all caught larger northerns than that. we as a family enjoy fishing, and don't see the need to have to keep everything we catch. it would be like having to shoot the first deer that walks out of the bush, why not hunt a little?

ZackicBrown
08-06-2012, 03:29 PM
I dont understand the issue here...I always let the fish go after I fillet it..