PDA

View Full Version : Fly reel not working sort of...

BigA
08-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Hey everyone. Went out fishing tonight with a buddy who had never fly fished before. Anyway I thought I would give him a chance to try it out.

Seemed like he was doing ok, until he got snagged up on a back cast and lost the fly. Well when I went to tie on a new fly I pulled on the line to take some slack and noticed that the reel didn't make the clicky noise that it usually makes when the line comes out.

It is a Greys GX300 4/5/6 wt reel. Only about 6 months old. Tried pulling the spool off and the cog wheel off and then put it back together to see if that would fix it. Didn't.

Drag itself still works, can still tighten it down or loosen it right off, but no clicky noise.

Anyone know what the issue is or how to fix it? Will I cause damage to the reel by using it still?

Thanks for your help.

Lefty-Canuck
08-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Pawl is worn or it has turned in the housing. Try to get a diagram for the inner workings of the reel, then figure out if the diagram is a left or right retrieve and either turn the pawl to the correct position or order a new one....

LC

BigA
08-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Pawl is worn or it has turned in the housing. Try to get a diagram for the inner workings of the reel, then figure out if the diagram is a left or right retrieve and either turn the pawl to the correct position or order a new one....

LC

Tried turning the pawl in both directions, no change.

BigA
08-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Well, I contacted Hardy's and the reel is covered by warranty. However I have to send it to their location in pennsylvania. That kind of sux, but not sure what else I can do.