PDA

View Full Version : Halibut quota updates anyone?

Sundancefisher
08-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Any update on halibut closures? Last year the quota was reached around Sept 3rd and all sport fishing stopped... What is the forecast/status for 2012?

Sundancefisher
08-07-2012, 09:26 AM
http://www.sportfishing.bc.ca/docs/halibut_and_happenings_-_july_2012.pdf

All I can see is this so far. Hopefully there are no sudden closures this year.

Fishnafterwork
08-07-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm up in prince Rupert right now and as far as I have been told we are all good for Hali this year...new Hali regulations state "the possession limit for halibut is 2 of which only 1 may b greater than 83cm" so for now it seems all good... But like last year who knows that could change overnite

Guitarplayingfish
08-07-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm up in prince Rupert right now and as far as I have been told we are all good for Hali this year...new Hali regulations state "the possession limit for halibut is 2 of which only 1 may b greater than 83cm" so for now it seems all good... But like last year who knows that could change overnite

It better not.... I will be choked if I can't get some Hali's next week.

mooseknuckle
08-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Just got back yesterday. 1 over 1 under 83cm. The Hali fishing was un-real! smallest was 12lbs largest was 148lbs

coldredneck
08-07-2012, 08:27 PM
heading for 11 mile bank off Pt Alberni on the 28th, hoping to bring home a few pounds of nice white meat.

Jamie
08-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Sundance. No issues being brought up up here.
Looks like one big/one small is working.

Jamie

Scott h
08-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Their hasn't been any talk about shutting down the fishery that I've heard. I agree with Jamie about the new regs for one over 83cm and one under, seems like maybe it might work to release the ones that will produce the next generation of fish :thinking-006:
We've had great halibut fishing this year :sHa_shakeshout:

Tofinofish
08-08-2012, 06:27 PM
I was on a conference call last week with some head fisheries people, as well as a follow up with our recreational coodinator for the South Coast and all is looking fine for the full season at this point.
Creel data collection for both Salmon and Halibut is important so please volunteer information when asked for it, return Salmon heads etc.
This data will help keep us open for both species, as a lack of data finds the Feds managing on the side of caution and closures become more probable.

Slot limit of over/under is not everyone's favourite but it does provide more certainty for extended or full season.

I will be providing more info if any available after mid month meeting..

J.

greylynx
08-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Just an innocent question, and I am not trying to create any trouble mister moderator.

Are our native brethren allowed to continue the catching of sea chickens under the "allowable native food catch" out of PR?

BEL
08-08-2012, 07:52 PM
How is the fishing in your neck of the woods? I am talking salmon and halibut. BEL

elnino54
08-08-2012, 08:02 PM
I wish they were more consistent in their creel surveys, then I'd have a little more faith in some of the decision making. Three days we returned to the dock in Port Hardy with Hali's, only the first day did we see the girl doing the survey. We had two under 20 lbs that day. The next time we had one 102 lbs and the last day one 60 lbs. We are only one boat, but you can imagine how screwed the numbers can be if that is happening to most boats !!

Scott h
08-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Just an innocent question, and I am not trying to create any trouble mister moderator.

Are our native brethren allowed to continue the catching of sea chickens under the "allowable native food catch" out of PR?

It is a logical question , indians are allowed a percentage of the total take but it is a bit more complicated because their are Canadian commercial , sport and native and then American commercial , sport and commercial ( from 4 states !!! ) .Coastal fish Know no boundaries. No matter what the allocations of the total allowable take you're going to p**s someone off . We as sport fisherman are allowed 2 in possession right now and 8 salmon ; that's a lot of fish. Come on out and get some !!!! :sHa_shakeshout:

TBark
08-08-2012, 09:45 PM
If one big and one small Hali is the 2 day limit, so the big one is the first day target, release the small ones ? But if late in day 1, what do you do, keep one smaller one ?
If you target the big one and don't catch one, you then go with Only one hali on day 2 as your poss limit ?
Just trying to understand.

TBark

Scott h
08-08-2012, 10:05 PM
If one big and one small Hali is the 2 day limit, so the big one is the first day target, release the small ones ? But if late in day 1, what do you do, keep one smaller one ?
If you target the big one and don't catch one, you then go with Only one hali on day 2 as your poss limit ?
Just trying to understand.

TBark

Yup that's about it. One per day. Two in possession. Only one can be over 83 cm.

walking buffalo
08-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Sundance. No issues being brought up up here.
Looks like one big/one small is working.

Jamie

It's working? Really?

Are you saying last years arguments against further restricting recreational angler's quota were wrong?

Are these new regulations actually working, or is DFO and the commercial sector simply content to not apply more restrictive pressure on recreational anglers at this time?

Let's not forget that actual harvest ratios between the commercial, aboriginal, and recreational sectors.

It's interesting how the government can continually take away from the people, and in very short time, the people who were initially opposed, simply accept it.

This big fish little fish limit was bogus last year, and still is today. IMO.

Tofinofish
08-08-2012, 11:05 PM
It's working? Really?

Are you saying last years arguments against further restricting recreational angler's quota were wrong?

Are these new regulations actually working, or is DFO and the commercial sector simply content to not apply more restrictive pressure on recreational anglers at this time?

Let's not forget that actual harvest ratios between the commercial, aboriginal, and recreational sectors.

It's interesting how the government can continually take away from the people, and in very short time, the people who were initially opposed, simply accept it.

This big fish little fish limit was bogus last year, and still is today. IMO.

When I refer to what is "working" with current regulations, it is allowing us to be fishing for Halibut today and tomorrow. Without the current slot limit, we would very likley be closed on the BC coast right now.

Is this the long term remedy we will be content to live with. NOT a Chance...
Better to have a full season with tighter regulations than be closed by now IMO

walking buffalo
08-09-2012, 12:02 AM
When I refer to what is "working" with current regulations, it is allowing us to be fishing for Halibut today and tomorrow. Without the current slot limit, we would very likley be closed on the BC coast right now.

Is this the long term remedy we will be content to live with. NOT a Chance...
Better to have a full season with tighter regulations than be closed by now IMO

It's called a Trotsky Two Step. The dance partner (DFO) has pushed recreational fishing back two steps, then allowed a step forward.

Did Rec. fishers really moved one step forward?

Better to have the quota acurrately counted, and give the recreational sector a larger share of the total harvest.

I don't accept that the big fish small fish limit is working.

WorldClass
08-09-2012, 09:30 AM

The issues with the Halibut fishery have very little to do with the Natives fishing for sustenance. The major issue, in my eyes, is the slipper skippers who own quota and sell it. Cut the commercial sectors in favor of Canadian and American citizens who want to actually get out into the waters and catch them ourselves.