PDA

View Full Version : Paddle river dam

Thundercatcher
08-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Im going to try paddle river dam tomorrow. Has anyone fished there as of late? Any good spots .

Thundercatcher
08-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Or else its called paddle river reservoir. I cant find much info on the lake. And I cant find proper directions.

Fishnafterwork
08-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Is that beside frenchmans creek?:confused0024:

Thundercatcher
08-07-2012, 10:17 PM
its near Mayerthorpe

Gerry
08-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Up highway 43 (North West) and a few miles passed Sangudo, go under the trestle and at the top of the hill turn left to the reservoir.
Sorry, no info on the fishing.

fishman
08-07-2012, 10:50 PM
When u pass the Freetown and up the biology there is a resturant on the right u need to turn left which is south and follow the signs only a few k down that road....it is the paddle river damed up there is jacks and walleye fishing can be good at times....sorry I trout fish but had friends fish it

Tipperary
08-15-2012, 12:01 PM
I've been there three times in the last month. Think I've caught one fish each time. It's not as good as last year, and with the amount of rainfall we've been having the last couple times I went the water was about 12 feet higher than it normally is, making more room for the fish to swim. That's just shorefishing though. It's a nice place with good shore access and good scenery.

embury93
04-07-2013, 02:46 PM
any advice if I should be using bait or what type of lures are best?

pickrel pat
04-07-2013, 03:44 PM
any advice if I should be using bait or what type of lures are best?

Hi. Im pat. What is your name? Welcome to the forum. Whatcha after? Pike?

embury93
04-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Hi Pat
I'm Chris. I live in Barrhead and I tend to spend most of my time fishing the North Sask River but was really intrigued when I heard that people catch quite a bit of fish at the Paddle River Reservoir. Yes mainly Pike but wouldn't mind catching the odd walleye as well.

buffalohunterchalsie
04-07-2013, 07:53 PM
I've ice fished it a few times. Didn't catch anything or see anything on the aqua-view. The water was a dark tea colour and was very deep close to shore. This is just south of sangudo. Good luck

buckmaster
04-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Hi Chris, Pembina isnt that far from you.

Alberta Bigbore
04-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Love the Pembina.. never fished the Paddle River reservoir. Maybe this year give it a try.

embury93
04-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Where do you guys fish the Pembina? I've tried by Manola and had no luck and just outside Barrhead the levels are usually low under the bridge. Any hot spots on the Pembina I should check out, any advice to bait or lures?

Alberta Bigbore
04-07-2013, 09:29 PM
alot of people have their secret holes on the Pemb....... as they spent alot of time finding them. But it doesnt take alot to find fish on the Pemb. Some good fishing can be found right at the campground in Sangudo.

embury93
04-08-2013, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the advice I'll have to give the Pembina a try down by Sangudo and Entiwistle at the Provincial Park when I'm fishing at the Paddle River Reservoir. Do you recommend bait fishing though or what do you find does best in the Pembina or Paddle?

Alberta Bigbore
04-08-2013, 04:18 AM
Im a fan of rubbertail jigs on the pembina. Bait works too. Sometimes better than jigs.

Big Dog Al
04-08-2013, 12:30 PM
As with any fishery most of the hot spots are hit hard especially on the Pembina. Living and growing up there it's definately gone down hill. Best action on the Pembina is where it empties into the Athabasca north of Weslock near Dapp. The Paddle Dam south of Rochfort Bridge has 2 options. Fishing the res. for pike and stocked walleye, best in a boat (watch for dead heads in the water) or trout in a man made pond below the dam. Not sure if they still stock it regularly have to check stocking reports.

embury93
04-08-2013, 02:08 PM
yah I think there stocking it with about 3000 rainbows this year in the months of May and then in September. I will have to try fishing up near Dapp though considering thats fairly close to where I live. How is the pike fishing from shore at the Paddle Dam? I've heard someone say on another forum that there is pike up to 15lbs and walleye up to 6lbs.

keep6matt
04-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Hi Pat
I'm Chris. I live in Barrhead and I tend to spend most of my time fishing the North Sask River but was really intrigued when I heard that people catch quite a bit of fish at the Paddle River Reservoir. Yes mainly Pike but wouldn't mind catching the odd walleye as well.

The best results I have had (I have fished that water for several years) is using a Lindy rig style with a floating jighead with a dark green twister and tipped with a piece of minnow. Leave about a 18" length of line from floater jighead to a swivel then put a bullet weight behind swivel to your reel line so weight can slide. Pitch it out there and wait for the bite. There were days when I caught up to a 100 walleye and a few very large pike. (17 to 20 lb pike) Definitely a great place for C&R fishing and a great place to introduce a kid to fishing. However the water levels have been extremely high the past year and it seemed to slow the fishing down immensely. Hope this helps you out.

keep6matt
04-08-2013, 04:19 PM
yah I think there stocking it with about 3000 rainbows this year in the months of May and then in September. I will have to try fishing up near Dapp though considering thats fairly close to where I live. How is the pike fishing from shore at the Paddle Dam? I've heard someone say on another forum that there is pike up to 15lbs and walleye up to 6lbs.

Caught several pike from 15 to 20 lbs (released them all after snapping a pic) and the biggest wally I ever seen was a 5 lber there. Probably fished that place for over 6 years now.

embury93
04-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Well I wouldn't mind just driving to the Paddle Dam just to get a sense of where it is but when I'm down there would like to fish the Paddle Dam Pond as it is open right now. Do you know if there both still frozen?

embury93
04-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Do you think you would be able to post some of the pics of the fish you caught down at the Paddle River Reservoir(Dam), would really like to see some of the nice sized fish that people catch there.

buffalohunterchalsie
04-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Anybody have any luck there recently?

embury93
04-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Anybody have any luck there recently?
The Paddle River Reservoir(Dam) is not open yet, and last time I was there the Paddle River Dam Pond which is open still had ice on it.

embury93
05-29-2013, 01:29 AM
Has anyone ever had any success fishing the paddle river around Barrhead?

Northern Yaker
05-29-2013, 07:17 AM
Not in the paddle, but much better luck in the Pembina 10 or so km south. Much better fishery.

keep6matt
05-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Paddle River Reservoir
June 1 to Mar. 31 – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Perch limit 15; Burbot limit 10.
Apr. 1 to May 31 –CLOSED

Cal
05-29-2013, 11:52 AM
When I was a kid I caught a pretty decent Pike just downstream of the ledge just downstream of Barhead. We used to camp and fish at Clear Lake and my grandfather told me that he'd caught some big fish there when he was younger so I gave it a try while he was visiting friends in town.

The paddle isnt know for as good of fishing as the Pembina but I've always wanted to do trip down it anyways.

StupidityKills
05-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Is it worth it to make the trip to the pembina right now? I'll be in stony Saturday and was thinking of taking a drive out there but I don't want to waste my time if the river is crappy right now.

embury93
05-29-2013, 09:26 PM
What do you all use to catch fish in the Pembina near Barrhead? This weekend I plan to go to the Pembina down by Manola.

chriscosta
05-29-2013, 11:00 PM
simply a minnow with a couple split shots but its sure to be high n muddy

embury93
05-30-2013, 12:59 AM
yah its very high right now and looks muddy/dirty. I drove by there on my way to westlock probably best for bait.

embury93
06-01-2013, 04:21 PM
anyone fished where the paddle flows into the pembina near manola?

Cal
06-01-2013, 06:42 PM
What do you all use to catch fish in the Pembina near Barrhead? This weekend I plan to go to the Pembina down by Manola.

If your soaking a slip sinker rig with a floating jighead or other flotation is my prefferance. If your drifting or casting and retrieving then either some splitshot and bait or a little less weight on the slip sinker rig. I usualy run my line through the eye of a snap or snap swivle so that I can adjust my weight as needed. A walleye spinner on a 18" leader with just enough weight so that it swings in the current just over the bottom can work good in muddy water sometimes.

BANG
07-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Does anyone know if there is camping at paddle river dam?
I have never been there.thanks

chriscosta
07-25-2013, 08:17 PM
looked like day use but there were campers so who knows i dont see why not some people looked awfully cozy definately overnighters

liar
07-25-2013, 09:13 PM
took the kids there last weekend for a boat ride / swim and there were at least half a dozen rv s set up on the hill overlooking the dam . nice view but could get windy .

we trolled for about an hour around the shoreline --- nothing .

chriscosta
07-26-2013, 01:55 AM
took the kids there last weekend for a boat ride / swim and there were at least half a dozen rv s set up on the hill overlooking the dam . nice view but could get windy .

we trolled for about an hour around the shoreline --- nothing .

sounds like me n my gf's experiencw there dont know if ill even bother again cuz our trip was alot longer and nuthin and we tried everywhere but in front of the dam and thats where i saw a guy catch a pike when i was leaving lol but by then id had enough lol

BANG
07-26-2013, 08:16 AM
I have heard its pretty decent fishing but those reports are discouraging.
Is there not a trout pond in the area as well?anyone try that lately.

chriscosta
07-26-2013, 11:39 PM
im sure the fishing can be good at times a fishfinder would help heard the pond aint bad id giver another go but id certainly have a backup plan

swtcheeks
08-13-2013, 11:10 PM
Am spending a week camping and heard threw the grape vine the trout pond had pike it. Tried pike fishing. 945 pm i pulled on an 8 1/2 pond pike. 83 cm long. My husband caught one before that and was even bigger as it snapped his line like nothing. So no more trout in the trout pond. :(