PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Point

WayneChristie
08-08-2012, 07:09 PM
anyone been to Sandy point Campground this summer, whats the river fishing like ?

Redfrog
08-10-2012, 09:50 AM
No one's been there?/:thinking-006:

WayneChristie
08-10-2012, 08:11 PM
probably lots of empty spaces then :bad_boys_20: decided not to go this weekend, maybe next

madatter
08-11-2012, 03:02 PM
It can get pretty busy but haven't been thru there for a while.
Tempted to pull the trailer there some day too.

wwbirds
08-11-2012, 03:05 PM
haven't been there this year Wayne but last time Sean and I tried to fish it in late summer we could barely get the square stern canoe to go west from the bridge the water was so shallow. We wil be at BI next weekend if you are in the area.
Rob

ishootbambi
08-11-2012, 04:08 PM
went by it last night. looked like only one unit was there....but it was dark. maybe more that i just didnt see? anyway, the water is finally beginning to drop and clear up some. the fishing should start getting good here real soon.

WayneChristie
08-11-2012, 04:31 PM
are there any decent sturgeon holes nearby? I have a 4 day weekend coming up and may head down that way

madatter
08-12-2012, 09:22 PM
are there any decent sturgeon holes nearby? I have a 4 day weekend coming up and may head down that way

Before the big floods you could catch them right at Sandy fairly constantly,since then not sure.
Upstream and around the corner,straight west of the old store/gas station there were some holes as well.
Trying to get there with friend,who has the jet boat to explore,just hasn't happened yet.
I do know of one much farther upstream tho that produces...

ishootbambi
08-12-2012, 11:02 PM

im guessing you know how to read water wayne. look for any deep pool and they will be at the tail end. one you can drive to is known as the old bindloss ferry crossing. id have to look at a map to get the twp road number, but from the south end of the sandhills on hwy 41 go west. the road turns into a trail through the bt grazing reserve and goes right to the water. not the best place on the river, but a good bet this time of year. if you are up for a hike, go downstream about 3/4 of a mile around the bend. cast as far as you can as the deep stuff is on the far side. i forget the name of that lease holder. someone should toss it out soon.

i drove by sandy again today....its deserted.

WayneChristie
08-13-2012, 06:46 PM
thanks for the info guys, I think I will head down that way this weekend and see what I can find. havent hooked a dino since I got the tagging gear and I need to get some done. if anyone can come up with the name of that leaseholder I would appreciate it.

lone wolf
08-13-2012, 07:09 PM
im guessing you know how to read water wayne. look for any deep pool and they will be at the tail end. one you can drive to is known as the old bindloss ferry crossing. id have to look at a map to get the twp road number, but from the south end of the sandhills on hwy 41 go west. the road turns into a trail through the bt grazing reserve and goes right to the water. not the best place on the river, but a good bet this time of year. if you are up for a hike, go downstream about 3/4 of a mile around the bend. cast as far as you can as the deep stuff is on the far side. i forget the name of that lease holder. someone should toss it out soon.

i drove by sandy again today....its deserted.

thanks for the info guys, I think I will head down that way this weekend and see what I can find. havent hooked a dino since I got the tagging gear and I need to get some done. if anyone can come up with the name of that leaseholder I would appreciate it.

Wayne - I am familiar with the spot Dale (ISB) is talking about, as I have hunted out that way in the past. I will scan the relevant page from the Cypress County landowner map and send it your way. Fire me off your email addy, and I will send you a PDF tomorrow.

I have a 3 day weekend, if you are interested in some company one of the days.