PDA

View Full Version : Ram and clearwater access along trunk Rd

Sean84
08-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Hey, Im just wondering if theres more accesses to roads west of the trunk road between the turn off to pepper lake and ram falls. Those are the only two I can see off of my map and ive never been there, It will be random camping with the purpose of fishing.

pikergolf
08-08-2012, 10:22 PM
If you don't get an answer look on google earth, you can see a lot on there.

pipercub17
08-08-2012, 10:27 PM
there are a few lease roads on the north side of 734 but even at the end of them there is a fair bit of hiking

Sean84
08-08-2012, 10:32 PM
If you don't get an answer look on google earth, you can see a lot on there.

I have tried google earth and its hard to tell what is an open road and a closed road, the only two I can see for sure is pepper lake and ram falls, and ive heard clearwater river isnt the best for fishing.

338Bluff
08-08-2012, 10:44 PM
any particular reason why you want to fish/access west of the trunkroad? Do you have a quad or mountain bike?

Lots of opportunity and access if you go the other way.

Sean84
08-08-2012, 10:48 PM
the reason is kinda funny, im heading up there with some friends who dont seem to know where there going but have been there before and "remember" a place, I just cant see anywhere on google maps besides the two places ive mentioned and really dont want to drive them all up there to find out we are no where near a decent river to fish, let alone 15min away from the Ram which is where i would like to go.

Plus wouldnt heading east of the trunk road be out of public land use area?

Xiph0id
08-08-2012, 11:03 PM
There is more east and west.
Google earth/maps.
Also my favorite. Explore.
I have learned most things from exploring and talking to people I meet.
You won't get alot of help on the forum for where exactly you can go.

Sean84
08-08-2012, 11:04 PM
There is more east and west.
Google earth/maps.
Also my favorite. Explore.
I have learned most things from exploring and talking to people I meet.
You won't get alot of help on the forum for where exactly you can go.

Yeah i completely agree and understand, im just trying to figure out if my friends have an clue where they are going or if i should have a back up plan.

338Bluff
08-08-2012, 11:17 PM
You can go exactly to these places if you want to work for it......

There is really no where to go west of the Trunk road in the area you describe. A couple of lease roads. Might be gated. You can access 90% of the Clearwater south Peppers lake by just pulling off the road and hiking west 1-3 km. If you head all the way south to the last point at which the trunk road veers east and leaves the meadows you can camp near some old corrals. The little creek to the west of you is called Radiant and you might pick a few brookies or small bulls up in the beaver ponds (if they are not blown out.).. If you cross the flats you will find some pools on the Clearwater that hold trout and likely lots of rockies. It is going to be pretty high and wild right now. I would add that lots of this ground is a nasty willow bog old overgrown beaver ponds. It can be an ankle breaker.

Continuing north you can access Elk Creek on both sides of the Trunk road. Little hiking off the beaten path and you will find some small bulls and browns. Continue North of Peppers a few miles and you will find an old road that runs straight north off the corner and it will take you back to the ram. Stops at a nasty hill. At this point you are about a mile downstream of the confluence of Lynx creek and the South Ram. Its fishable.

You can go west of the Ram River Falls to the Hummingbird staging area and then hike upstream (on the Ram) from there. Lots of plunge pools and if you are ambitious you can fish to the confluence of Ranger Creek and up it a little ways. Lots of cutts.

My favorite side trip for lots of action on small cuts is to park at the second gate north of the Ram Falls on the trunk road (it's red I think, first one is Brown). If you are at the right place you will look East across a flat. This is Lynx creek. Old logging road crosses it a couple of times. We have mountain biked in about 2-3 miles and fished it all the way down to the Ram. Very good for smaller cutts.

338Bluff
08-08-2012, 11:22 PM
the reason is kinda funny, im heading up there with some friends who dont seem to know where there going but have been there before and "remember" a place, I just cant see anywhere on google maps besides the two places ive mentioned and really dont want to drive them all up there to find out we are no where near a decent river to fish, let alone 15min away from the Ram which is where i would like to go.

Plus wouldnt heading east of the trunk road be out of public land use area?

You would need to head a long ways east.....like almost back to Rocky:)

Sean84
08-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Thanks for all the great info everyone, very helpful

Sean