PDA

View Full Version : who shoots in their basement?

Canuck44
04-20-2008, 03:53 PM
I have been practicing in my basement with my new bow and my wife is not to pleased about it. I can shoot about 13yrds in the basement if I shoot from the stair end through the door to my gun room. Shooting from there I know if there is anyone else in the basement and I feel it is very safe. She thinks I am going to wreck the place. Does anyone else do this?

mud slug
04-20-2008, 05:24 PM
i've got a setup in my back yard (with permission from all my neighbours)60 ft makes for 20 yards find a corner and set up a good backstop of haybails just whatch for flyers. or if you have a garage set up a target in the garage and shot into the garage (move the wifes car first)

CNP
04-20-2008, 07:00 PM
I get 12 yards in the basement and 35 yards in the backyard. My garage is att to the front of the house..............not an option shooting into the garage.

muzzy
04-20-2008, 07:13 PM
used to shoot in basement of former house 10 yds back yard is huge I get 60 yds there

Gord

gulogulo
04-20-2008, 08:04 PM
I get 10 yards in the basement... keeps the bow, shoulders, confidence and form in shape...

mountainmike
04-20-2008, 09:05 PM
had my two boys shooting in the basement.....and was feeling a little left out. So got my bow out and been shooting everyday they come over with them. Great bonding sessions. My wife was a little skeptible at 1st.....but has now calmed down. Been thinking about popping the screen out of our 2nd story bedroom window and shoot into the backyard. Be like being in a stand, have'nt ran that one by her yet.......hmmmmm wish me luck.:lol: Just need the sun to come back and spring to SPRING. GO AWAY SNOW!!!!!!:mad3:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-20-2008, 09:10 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: And here I thought I was only one who shot my Bow in the basement . I have 2 old matterises lined up and hammer arrows into them makes for fun , but I remember Once I was younger like 12 or something in my old house shot into cardboard boxes stacked 4 or 5 deep with old rags and mom's good towels stuffed in them , hey my Dad allowed it to happen so I went with it , anyway I shot my dads bow And must of hit a spot with nothing in the box arrow reflected from where I was shooting and I damn near got to feel it go right threw me , luckyly I was slimmer in them days so moved outta the way as I saw it coming my way anyway the jist of the story becareful , Safety is a very very very important thing.

Rackmastr
04-20-2008, 09:16 PM
I have shot in the basement....though my new house doesnt have one....heh.

I shoot in the main room, 16 yards in the hallway....or shoot in my garage which is nice and big. In the summer I shoot in my backyard as I've got a few acres to play with....

depopulator
04-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Yup for sure, 15 yards in the basement. Just to keep the shoulders loose though, nothing too serious.

russ
04-21-2008, 07:49 AM
yup 3 yrds for me. If you have a good butt with a good backing it shouldn't be a problem.

300WSM
04-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Absolutely! 16yrds into a block target. Prop chair against door comin down, never had a problem. Wife know to knock if door is closed.

Remember it's only drywall, shoot broadheads they don't deflect.

curt7mm
04-21-2008, 11:49 AM
My 2 daughters and myself shoot in the basement. I get 11/12 yrds. Shoot from the office, through 2 door openings at a block target sitting by the wall in the tv room. Lots of fun. My girls are good enough where they never miss the target.

gonefishin
04-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Yup, 12 yards in the basement and no wind to contend with... except the hot air from the wife!:lol:

briverb
04-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Been shooting in our basement a few nights a week since April 1st to keep everything loose and ready. 5 yards into the big yellow Morrell's Yellow Jacket field point target.

It'll be better once we move into the new house with a bigger basement next month. The first thing I said when I saw the basement in the new place was, "Hey this is perfect distance for practicing with the bow over the winter." I got a few of these from my better half over that comment. :rolleye2: :rolleye2:

Gotta have priorities, eh? :) :)

BigRackLover
04-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Quite the funny thread.

I have not done it myself, I prefer to shoot outside in the yard.

I don't see a problem with it as long as you have some drywall compound kicking around for when you miss

Canuck44
04-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Another practice and still no holes in the walls and the carpet is still on the floor. Can't believe how quiet the Allegiance is compared to the 20 yr old compound I was using last year, seems to make it across the basement twice as quick too.

I would be doing it in the garage or backyard but its 10 below and 2' of snow and I have the old car apart in the garage getting a new rear end. Kind of like being able to watch the big screen at the same time as well.

04-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Another practice and still no holes in the walls and the carpet is still on the floor. Can't believe how quiet the Allegiance is compared to the 20 yr old compound I was using last year, seems to make it across the basement twice as quick too.

I would be doing it in the garage or backyard but its 10 below and 2' of snow and I have the old car apart in the garage getting a new rear end. Kind of like being able to watch the big screen at the same time as well.

You know what you do , turn it to Wild tv and when ya see that nicew buck TWAP your target then you can feel as if ya took that deer down too .:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

trouble
05-04-2008, 06:34 PM
At my old house we got 30 yards out of the backyard, and some beautiful shots from the 2nd story balcony too. Now i live on a farm basment is bed rooms but i got 60 acres to play around with so whatever goes.

05-04-2008, 06:39 PM
At my old house we got 30 yards out of the backyard, and some beautiful shots from the 2nd story balcony too. Now i live on a farm basment is bed rooms but i got 60 acres to play around with so whatever goes.

Nice sounds like a heck of a time.

hunter10
02-02-2009, 06:19 PM
I want to but dad says it's not safe. If I did i would get about 10-13 yards.
I think it would be fun, get in shap for the coming up season.

H10

Mistagin
02-02-2009, 11:01 PM
I've shot airguns in the basement before, but never the bows.
I know of a church (in Michigan) that built an archery range in the basement. I saw it when I was going to school there, but I never had the chance to use it. It was pretty cool, about 20 yards deep and several lanes wide.

Hmmmmm! I wonder ........ :)

PSE_Girl
02-03-2009, 03:43 PM
I used to shoot in my basement (about 12-13yds) until i ended up wrecking one of my moms paintings.. never again lol oops

bunnyhunter
02-03-2009, 04:34 PM
I was seriously considering it...........cant shoot outside, against the law in Edmonchuck

Albertabowhunter
02-03-2009, 04:56 PM
I occasionally shoot in the basement, 15 yard or so.... In the backyard I'l get 19. 1 neighbor thinks I'm going to shoot her dog..... :confused: I dont even shoot towards her place. And the rest of my neighbors dont care, but think I'm weird when I shoot off the garage roof.... :)

cardiacphil
02-03-2009, 05:00 PM
I occasionally shoot in the basement, 15 yard or so.... In the backyard I'l get 19. 1 neighbor thinks I'm going to shoot her dog..... :confused: I dont even shoot towards her place. And the rest of my neighbors dont care, but think I'm weird when I shoot off the garage roof.... :)

What you need to do then...is play loud jethro tull music and have some beers up there....Then they'll really wonder..........Or worry :lol:

Thats truly awesome :D

CP

graham1
02-03-2009, 06:09 PM
We used to take a few shots with a .22 in the basement when we were kids. Had a big block of wood with a target on it and were shooting about 20yards. After that using a bow down there didn't seem like a big deal. Dad was lot's of fun to shoot with, but mom was usually out when we had the .22 going.

Hunter Trav
02-04-2009, 09:40 AM
I've got a target in the basement that the kids and I shoot at. I only have about 10 yrds or so, but it keeps a guy in shape. The wall behind it is full of holes from the kids learning, and the occasional pass through from me, but its an unfinished basement, so I really don't care. In a few years I'll be able to look at the holes and have good memories of shooting down there with my kids...:)

02-04-2009, 11:29 PM

Sounds kinda like Ted nugent in beer for my horses.:lol::lol::lol:

Canis Lupas
02-07-2009, 10:04 AM
I shoot in the basement 10 yards and I turn off the lights to simulate low light conditions and the kids love the lumenocks.:evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

The wife does think I am crazy

opencountry
02-07-2009, 10:51 AM
We built a new house this year and in finishing the basment the wife wanted a craft (crap) room.. So i built, along with a 20 yrd enclosed shooting lane.. If i'm not shooting arrows the kids are bowling.. Sorry to the people that may buy the house if we move. (Dura Block Form styrofoam filled with sand is awsome!!!!!)

solocam3
02-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Plastic Bags work great for a backstop. Take a gunny sack or Potatoe sack and stuff the heck out of it with Safeway or Wallmart (Good way to reuse those shopping bags before you recycle them) bags as tight as you can. The burlap will wear out first before the plastic does. Another backstop is old telephone books (Sherwood Park Archery had this for years) and old ceiling tiles laid flat with some type of a clamping (Squeeze) arrangement made. You really dont need that much distance as long as the arrow releases from the string. It just helps to keep your form up. Another thing to do is to set your video camera up on a tripod and video yourself. There was no way anyone could tell me that I was choking my bow until I seen it myself (Flinch, what flinch?). Video does not lie!;)