PDA

View Full Version : Hope for Pigeon Lake

sheephunter
08-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Ran out to Pigeon yesterday to fill some class B tags and actually had a hard time as the majority of fish we caught wrere over 50cm. The largest was right at 57cm. All the fish looked really healthy and it's good to see this fishery starting to come back although it is a bit concerning that the bulk of fish seem to fit into one or two year classes. Hopefully the lake isn't destined for another collapse.

Lefty-Canuck
08-10-2012, 08:31 AM
The times I have been this year we have caught lots of fish in all 3 tag size ranges and could have filled many draws many times over.

You are right though....you don't seem to catch any really little ones or any really big ones like the good old days.

LC

sheephunter
08-10-2012, 08:37 AM
That's good to hear...bet we didn't catch 5 fish under 43cm, maybe a half dozen between 43 and 46 and 20 or so between 47 and 50. We lost count of those between 50 and 52 though.

Stewie
08-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Ran out to Pigeon yesterday to fill some class B tags and actually had a hard time as the majority of fish we caught wrere over 50cm. The largest was right at 57cm. All the fish looked really healthy and it's good to see this fishery starting to come back although it is a bit concerning that the bulk of fish seem to fit into one or two year classes. Hopefully the lake isn't destined for another collapse.

For the first time in years the schools of minnows are in the shallows again swimming under our dock and boat launch… I think your right, the lake is showing some improvements and moving in a positive direction

model12
08-10-2012, 10:29 AM
How was the water quality and algae bloom?

Walleye101
08-10-2012, 12:59 PM
That's good news!! Lot's of smaller fish have been harvested so the bait fish population's should increase now.

JimmerAB
08-10-2012, 01:58 PM
I have caught the majority of my fish in the 45 to 52 cm range, with very few under 43 cm Class C fish being caught. I find it interesting that there are 2546 Class C licenses available this year, with seemingly few fish available to be harvested. Also interesting that 2279 of those licenses are still available to anglers. Perhaps we all want more bang for our buck...same price, less fish.

Jim