PDA

View Full Version : wabumun friday august 10

waterninja
08-10-2012, 04:17 PM
just got back from wab. and what a day! took the canoe and was on the water at 9:00 am. original plan had me up at 4:30 am but it was storming so i cancelled. at 6 it looked better and i thought what the heck. first time at wab in 40 years. a little scary at first because of wind, but then it turned into a beautifull day and the pike were biting. at around noon i hooked on to a big one and when she breached the first time i knew i had my monster. my trout net wasn't going to handle this so i was digging around the cooler for my phone to start videoing cause i knew no-one would believe me. thats when she stopped all fighting and came quietly to the canoe. i reached out and grabbed her by the gills, removed the hook (orange/yellow jig lip hooked) and was pulling her into the canoe for proper meas. and pic when she exploded into life and was gone. i call that a quick catch and realize with no pic. i swear she was a good 4 feet and close to 20 lbs. what a rush!took about 20 min.to grab her. caught a total of 11 pike by 1:30 pm then headed home.

SnoochyBoochy
08-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Uh huh, Cool Story Bro! And last week I took down Big Ft with my Matthews Bow at 2500 ft....

No Pic'y No Pike'y you know the rules :snapoutofit:

Cheers
Snooch :acigar:

YeeHaw
08-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Sounds like the one I lost last week:bad_boys_20:

Rikkles Fisher
08-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Yeah I lost about 10 or so 40 pound fish this year lol

JohninAB
08-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Tough crowd! Lol

I will say congrats and sorry you never got a pic.

Pikey
08-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Fellow canoe fisherman here.... Heck of a fish for that type of vessel!

waterninja
08-10-2012, 07:12 PM
the biggest problem of fishing solo is getting a good pic. even my wife is giving me the gears. doesn't bother me (maybe a little), but i'm still smiling thinking about it.

Alberta Bigbore
08-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Reminds me of a story about a couple 6-7 pounders on Pigeon lake a while back, lol jks.

Gratz!

SnoochyBoochy
08-11-2012, 12:49 AM
Ironic as it may be and in good form I lost a monster tonight! I mean it was a monster!! I tired her out and let her run about 6 times and she peeled on closed drag. There was about 6 people all standing around with their cameras waiting for me to hoist this glorious river cow...she bucked one last time as I was about 5 inches from grabbing her she took off. I went into the water to no avail. She got me this time. :D

Snooch

tysonlazo2
08-11-2012, 08:34 AM
i gotta say i love hanging with u guys u see the pictures i get in my head of u guys doing these thing snoochy diveing in the water after his pike and waterninja bringing in a monster pike and then it turns out to be a snag on a log xD haha jk nice storys guys haha:sHa_shakeshout:

Kim473
08-11-2012, 09:27 AM
No pics, so it did'nt happen.

You ever figure out how to post pics from your phone yet?

demolition101
08-11-2012, 09:42 AM
20lbs.... Yes
4ft long.....no

There are tons of 20lb fish in that lake, having caught a lot myself, and weighing them as opposed to the guy beside me saying "whoa, nice 35lber" lol. But I find most people on wabamun have no idea how to gauge length. Not saying you didn't catch it, and if it was 4' then congrats. But just my 2 cents

PureCDN
08-11-2012, 09:57 AM
So I just m oved out from BC and I've notice alot of "wierd things". So I was hoping someone could help me out, one: no barbs on ANY hoooks, not just rivers like BC, second: NO WALLEYE unless you have a tag, like deer or something, and I was thinking of going out to Wabamun but you can't keep anything? Why would you fish if you can't keep it and eat it? I'm new but I don't get these rules. Lastly where do I fish with my kids north of edmonton, being on the base I'd like some place somewhere close, oh and what do I use. Alot of questions any answers to any of it would be wicked! thanks everyone!

justinO
08-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Sounds like a great day, To say it was a 20 with no photo, measure, or weight you will get murdered on this site lol.. But if it was 20 in your eyes and fought like it then thats all that matters. I am heading out today been searching for a 20 all summer we will see maybe this weekend I will get lucky. I have been posting pics of all my bigger fish with weights you can look for size refences my biggest was 15.2lbs a 20 is a lot bigger than that.

And no Barbs makes it easier to release the fish that you aren't allowed to keep. As for why do you fish if you can't keep it my answer is the love of fishing and hope of catching that fish in years to come.

Time is wasting I should be on the road
Good luck this weekend its going to be beautiful
:sHa_shakeshout:

Greasemonkey
08-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Hey I used to live in Lancaster park 18 birch crescent up by the golf course, anyway we used to fish Cardiff park used to have lots of trout and perch, don't know about now that was a long time ago. You can keep walleye only certain lakes though you should read the regs and you'll see what lakes etc. you can't keep fish out of wabuman because of the chemical spill when the train derailed a few years ago, hope this helps.

EZM
08-12-2012, 05:51 PM
This is exactly why you fish Wabamun, becuase if you have, this story does not seem unreasonable.

I took two forum members out, who never been out there, in the morning "what's the most pike you have caught in a day" and "what's the largest one you have landed".

By the end of the day, both guys broke both records, most landed and biggest ever and set a new personal best.

These guys were not amatuers, but instead, regular seasoned fisherman who knew what they were doing. They just never been out to Wab.

We landed a 15, 14 and 11 and had many over 5. The three of us landed over 60 fish that day (which was not unusual).

Sounds like a fantastic tale? ask anyone who regularly fishes Wab and see what they say...... you might be surprised.

I have no reason to doubt this guy.

boonedocks
08-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Wabamun is an awesome pike fishery, I hope that it stays catch and release forever. Last February I landed a 41" pike with a 20" girth, the digital scale read 20lbs and 5 oz . I have since verified the readings of the scale by weighing fresh poultry at the grocery store, but thats another story. This is my personal best pike. The replica mount is already ordered and by the time it is delivered I may even learn how to post pictures on this site. Until then, this is just another fish story as I am firm believer that "If it aint on film, It didnt happen".To have a fishery such as this within an hour drive of a major city is remarkable.

jonnyxp
08-12-2012, 09:03 PM
yeah that lake is awesome for big pike... i have family there so i go often. took the gf 3 weeks ago she hooked into a 18 pounder and it was 46" and we got lots over 10 lbz... and yes we got pics ....so was it 4 feet long who know but we both know it was big!!!!!:sHa_shakeshout:http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/sHa_shakeshout.gif

bloopbloob
08-12-2012, 10:44 PM
yeah that lake is awesome for big pike... i have family there so i go often. took the gf 3 weeks ago she hooked into a 18 pounder and it was 46" and we got lots over 10 lbz... and yes we got pics ....so was it 4 feet long who know but we both know it was big!!!!!:sHa_shakeshout:http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/sHa_shakeshout.gif

Pics to come! Just got my computer back, but its bedtime! See U soon Jig! Ready for more hogs!! :)

BGSH
08-12-2012, 10:47 PM
That is to bad you lost him man, i told you that spot would produce, when you text me about it i knew right away u would get one of them, great stuff man, next time your going to land a fish of a lifetime.