PDA

View Full Version : Trout pond in st paul illegal perch

cujo1969
08-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Was at the pond on the weekend as it only opens on long weekends. Heard some guy caught a perch and he seemed to know how they got there. Why do people do this to trout ponds.

last minute
08-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Heard some guy caught a perch and he seemed to know how they got there. Why do people do this to trout ponds.did you get a perch also when you went ! :)

FishingMOM
08-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Was at the pond on the weekend as it only opens on long weekends. Heard some guy caught a perch and he seemed to know how they got there. Why do people do this to trout ponds.

Some people do it cause the are sick and tired of everything being all about trout all the time. The province spends a fortune each year to stock and restock and restock these ponds with a fickle fish that can't survive naturally otherwise in those locations.

Whereas once they throw in some perch they survive and do what perch do. They are great fishing for kids and great to eat.

concretefisher
09-22-2012, 07:23 AM
Was he driving a grey 200X chev truck? I seen this happen too.. The ba27ard said he threw a few in last year... I was quite mad and almost called him in.. Why ruin trout fisheries. If you want perch, get off your ass, & go to one of the many lakes within a half hour of st. Paul. The perch grow much bigger at st. Cyr.. Ten minute drive.

Sundancefisher
09-22-2012, 08:13 AM
Was he driving a grey 200X chev truck? I seen this happen too.. The ba27ard said he threw a few in last year... I was quite mad and almost called him in.. Why ruin trout fisheries. If you want perch, get off your ass, & go to one of the many lakes within a half hour of st. Paul. The perch grow much bigger at st. Cyr.. Ten minute drive.

Almost called him in? Yikes.

Unfortunately people do this because they can't catch trout either most of the time or during the heat of the summer. They think they know better than everyone else but their actions speak to selfishness and arrogance.

huntsfurfish
09-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Some people do it cause the are sick and tired of everything being all about trout all the time. The province spends a fortune each year to stock and restock and restock these ponds with a fickle fish that can't survive naturally otherwise in those locations.

Whereas once they throw in some perch they survive and do what perch do. They are great fishing for kids and great to eat.

Trout are easier and cheaper to raise to a size that is of "use"!!!
Those ponds would be full of 4" perch and who wants to keep fish that size. Trout can be stocked as pan size and still have the possibility of growth and numbers of fish can be controlled. While perch will just reproduce and eat them selves out of house and home! No value in that.

PS I do like perch and perch fishing also.

Doc
09-22-2012, 09:11 AM

I wonder if the idiots that do this have ever researched why the gov't would spend money to stock these lakes with trout that would be void of game fish otherwise? Maybe it's to give anglers an opportunity to fish where there would be no opportunity before. Maybe trout can grow quickly in these productive lakes giving anglers an opportunity at a decent size meal fairly quickly. Maybe it's more cost effective to raise trout as compared to other species. Maybe it's because there are enough natural self sustaining fisheries hosting pike, walleye & perch throughout our province from border to border in every direction of the province. Maybe it's a fact that if you stock perch into a lake without a natural predator (like pike) they will grow big for a few years but once they multiply to large numbers will all stunt because of the lack of biomass to feed those kind of numbers and you'll end up with micro perch.

Maybe these folks that are sick and tired of trout should get off their asses and drive the extra 20 mins to their local perch fishery. :shake:

e40water12
09-22-2012, 09:22 AM
I didn't know ST Paul had Trout pond where abouts is this pond?.

Lefty-Canuck
09-22-2012, 09:33 AM

These clowns who illegally stock ponds aren't fisherman....they want "instant gratification"....Almost sounds like you support this type of stocking FishingMOM?.....hopefully that is not the case.

LC

Dust1n
09-22-2012, 09:59 AM
can perch eggs be transferred by birds? Im just wondering if it wasn't the "bucket mans" fault

TROLLER
09-22-2012, 10:01 AM
These clowns who illegally stock ponds aren't fisherman....they want "instant gratification"....Almost sounds like you support this type of stocking FishingMOM?.....hopefully that is not the case.

LC

X2 Me thinks one should put the thinking cap on before hitting the submit reply button.

AxeMan
09-22-2012, 10:03 AM

LC

Exactly my thoughts too.

Sundancefisher
09-22-2012, 03:55 PM
can perch eggs be transferred by birds? Im just wondering if it wasn't the "bucket mans" fault

Plain fact is no. I was part of a basin wide study of perch distributions in the Athabasca watershed. We sampled all over. Ponds and lakes all along the system.

Lakes and ponds that have tributary access either permanent (had perch) or intermittent (sometimes had perch) and no tributary (had no perch).

What does this say? Perch distribution is dictated solely by water transport...ie fish swimming in. There were lakes without perch right beside lakes with perch. In the millions of millions of years in historical time and millions upon millions of birds taking off and landing...none were stocked by birds.

The fact is the eggs are sticky when laid but not after that. I have handled hand fulls upon hand fulls of them and I can't see it happening. The birds would have to cradle the eggs gently in their feathers, keeping them moist then gentle take off so as to not drop them...fly quick enough they don't suffocate then gentle land and have enough to make a population.

Facts show they don't do it...but it is always something people bring up I think in part to hope beyond hope that their fellow anglers are not destroying what they love.

Unfortunately this is human caused and nothing else.

Stocking of perch into a put and take lake will leave you with nothing but 4 inch perch to catch...so why do they do it? Ignorance and stupidity and greed in my humble opinion.

Sun

spaghetti
09-22-2012, 05:26 PM
So, why do we hate Perch again?

Aren't perch a fine fish to have around so long as there's a fish to eat them? Don't they have a similar sort of relationship to walleye and pike like how Bluegill have with big mouth bass?

The yellow perch swim around, have lots of kids, that feed the pike and the populations keep each other under control.

Or.. whats the issue here? :scared:

EZM
09-22-2012, 05:31 PM

WOW - I can't believe you would support the illegal introduction of perch into a trout pond, or any illegal introduction, of any species, into any waterbody, for any reason.

I was stunned to read that from one of our members.

I am crestfallen.

LCCFisherman
09-22-2012, 06:21 PM
I hope you call this in as you have his license plate.. this activity ruins lakes for years until a winter kill whipes out everything. A whole lot of taxdollers wasted by individuals that do this. I'm possitive the people of St. Paul would be very upset with this!

Doc
09-22-2012, 06:52 PM
So, why do we hate Perch again?

Aren't perch a fine fish to have around so long as there's a fish to eat them? Don't they have a similar sort of relationship to walleye and pike like how Bluegill have with big mouth bass?

The yellow perch swim around, have lots of kids, that feed the pike and the populations keep each other under control.

Or.. whats the issue here? :scared:

Nobody has said they hate perch. The problem is when idiots stock perch into trout ponds. The gov't stocks trout into lakes that don't already contain game fish for angler convenience. The problem is, perch eat the same things as trout but trout will die off after 5+ years and perch will multiply. Through fatality, predation and retention the gov't can guess how many trout to stock each year so anglers have a chance to catch and keep some good eating size fish. Once perch are stocked into a trout lake, they'll get big for a few years and will then multiply to mass numbers eating all the food available so you end up with tiny perch and tiny trout ruining the entire fishery.

Sundancefisher
09-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Nobody has said they hate perch. The problem is when idiots stock perch into trout ponds. The gov't stocks trout into lakes that don't already contain game fish for angler convenience. The problem is, perch eat the same things as trout but trout will die off after 5+ years and perch will multiply. Through fatality, predation and retention the gov't can guess how many trout to stock each year so anglers have a chance to catch and keep some good eating size fish. Once perch are stocked into a trout lake, they'll get big for a few years and will then multiply to mass numbers eating all the food available so you end up with tiny perch and tiny trout ruining the entire fishery.

X2. Stunted perch have zero value except for grebes, cormorants and loons.

last minute
09-22-2012, 07:12 PM
X2 Me thinks one should put the thinking cap on before hitting the submit reply button. x2 agreed .

ReconWilly
09-22-2012, 07:38 PM
WOW FishingMom!?!

I pray that you're not actually a practising breeder, these would be detrimental values to pass on...<<< I guess thats why these age old behavioural shortcomings exist in the first place and always seem to stand the test of time...

Who the hell are you or anyone else to decide the fate of public water?!? You are NOT above the law and you do NOT speak for me.:snapoutofit:

e40water12
09-22-2012, 07:52 PM
I don't agree with people adding perch to trout ponds, If you have your own personal pond or body of water sure go ahead. I here people just don't understand.

NSR Monger
09-22-2012, 10:43 PM
quick question, is it legal to travel with live perch? what if I wanted one as a pet? that's messed people catch and transport fish to other ponds

BeeGuy
09-22-2012, 11:14 PM
no it's not.

you cannot have wildlife as a pet either without the appropriate permits.

the rules mostly pertain to vertebrates though.

Willowtrail
09-22-2012, 11:22 PM
quick question, is it legal to travel with live perch? what if I wanted one as a pet? that's messed people catch and transport fish to other ponds

Once again its in the regs. It is not legal to have live fish for travel. They must be dead upon leaving the body of water. If you have a livewell in your boat they must be killed before leaving the lake/boat launch.

Guys are doing this iligally and i can't wait to catch someone doing it someday.

I like catching perch but will travel to a perch lake. I also like catching trout. They don't belong in the same waters

bloom
09-23-2012, 07:53 AM

How can you try and justify this?? That's disturbing.

Wild&Free
09-23-2012, 08:32 AM

Seems to me that this is the best answer to the OPs question. As for this posters opinion of the action there is no specification if she is for it or against it. Only opinion stated, in regards to perch fishing, is They are great fishing for kids and great to eat so most of you 'attacks' against this poster are unjustified.

Who the hell are you or anyone else to decide the fate of public water?!? You are NOT above the law and you do NOT speak for me.

FYI, if you voted you don't even have the right to speak for yourself as you gave someone else permission to speak for you in regards to public matters. Thanks for your input though.

HighRiver
09-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Lake Sundance is a fine example of a perch polluted lake. There are no pike or large predators to naturally cull the perch so they have overpopulated and stunted. I watched the folks who net that lake pull in thousands of perch slightly larger than my thumb this August. I caught one perch while there for 1 hour and one small rainbow about 3/4 pound.
I hope they can get rid of all the perch in Lake Sundance, as it has the potential to have huge trout.
Yesterday at Auburn Bay which is quite near Sundance, myself and 2 friends pulled out 5 trout ranging from 4 to 5 pounds between 8 am and 9:30.
Fishing stocked lakes is easy, as those fish are used to taking food in pellet form.

If you want to catch hundreds of undersized and tiny fish, put some goldfish in your rain barrel.

spaghetti
09-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Lake Sundance is a fine example of a perch polluted lake. There are no pike or large predators to naturally cull the perch so they have overpopulated and stunted. I watched the folks who net that lake pull in thousands of perch slightly larger than my thumb this August. I caught one perch while there for 1 hour and one small rainbow about 3/4 pound.
I hope they can get rid of all the perch in Lake Sundance, as it has the potential to have huge trout.
Yesterday at Auburn Bay which is quite near Sundance, myself and 2 friends pulled out 5 trout ranging from 4 to 5 pounds between 8 am and 9:30.
Fishing stocked lakes is easy, as those fish are used to taking food in pellet form.

If you want to catch hundreds of undersized and tiny fish, put some goldfish in your rain barrel.

How is sundance doing these days anyway? I think you guys had about 5 culls didn't you?
Does sundance not have any winterkill?

HighRiver
09-23-2012, 06:26 PM
How is sundance doing these days anyway? I think you guys had about 5 culls didn't you?
Does sundance not have any winterkill?

I live in Crystal Shores, not Sundance, but I am lucky enough to have a buddy that I occasianally fish with in Lake Sundance. From what I have seen, the perch are still there in numerous quantity and super small. Not many that would be "keepers". We catch the odd rainbow, but they too seem to be too small compared to the volume of the lake. My solution?-> 15 sterile male pike about 3 years old.
All year another friend and I have been catching big trout in Auburn Bay and Crystal Shores, both lakes have no perch. In fact he won the Auburn bay summer fishing Derby yesterday with 4.75 lb big fat female. She was one of the two we kept all year in fact. Crystal Shores is smaller but the trout are big, just too bad that the developers in Okotoks never thought of adding much shoreline to the lake instead of cramming houses onto it. My point?-> Lakes with invasive perch stunt their own species in size as well as the original inhabitant species.
Many of us choose to live in the private lake communities for the proximity to a fishing hole. We pay a big yearly fee for our access and I would flip my lid if I were to catch someone dumping a bucket of invasive fish into my lake.
Sundancefisher would be the proper gentleman to contact in regards to accurate info on Lake Sundance.

ReconWilly
09-23-2012, 07:07 PM
What the general purpose of this post? Just to make some else feel bad or personally attack a fellow member. You know not everyone has the same opinion..could be why they are called just that opinions.

You should feel free to express them and not have someone say that you shouldn"t reproduce or be worried that someone is out to personally attack that opinion.

I am a new member here and don't know her or any person on here. I may not agree with other posts but some of the things said in this thread are disturbing... even bordering harassing. Don't agree with her opinion, thats great post yours constructivly and move on or contine the conversation.

Now imo I don't think there should be any bucket stocking. As far as trout vs perch go, like I said I am new to the forum and alberta. Personally i like trout better but have never caught a persh so who knows.

Oh neat!! You have an opinion of my opinion, good for you!!:love0025:

Wild&Free
09-23-2012, 08:00 PM
She cried enough that her husband had to make an account to defend her disturbing opinion....BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHA.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

That is all.

you sir, have my sympathies. You must be having a tough time in life that you have to go on the internet to assert your dominance over others. Get a line wet and enjoy yourself.

ReconWilly
09-23-2012, 08:27 PM
you sir, have my sympathies. You must be having a tough time in life that you have to go on the internet to assert your dominance over others. Get a line wet and enjoy yourself.

I'm the one who's enjoying the free entertainment, it seems as if your the one who's interwebz stalking me...

Move along, theres nothing to see here.

Kanonfodder
09-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Keep it on topic or it will be shut down and suspensions will be handed out, you've been warned

spaghetti
09-23-2012, 09:54 PM
I live in Crystal Shores, not Sundance, but I am lucky enough to have a buddy that I occasianally fish with in Lake Sundance. From what I have seen, the perch are still there in numerous quantity and super small. Not many that would be "keepers". We catch the odd rainbow, but they too seem to be too small compared to the volume of the lake. My solution?-> 15 sterile male pike about 3 years old.
All year another friend and I have been catching big trout in Auburn Bay and Crystal Shores, both lakes have no perch. In fact he won the Auburn bay summer fishing Derby yesterday with 4.75 lb big fat female. She was one of the two we kept all year in fact. Crystal Shores is smaller but the trout are big, just too bad that the developers in Okotoks never thought of adding much shoreline to the lake instead of cramming houses onto it. My point?-> Lakes with invasive perch stunt their own species in size as well as the original inhabitant species.
Many of us choose to live in the private lake communities for the proximity to a fishing hole. We pay a big yearly fee for our access and I would flip my lid if I were to catch someone dumping a bucket of invasive fish into my lake.
Sundancefisher would be the proper gentleman to contact in regards to accurate info on Lake Sundance.

On that note:

Is there any sort of proven healthy relationship between pike and perch?
Like, I know rainbows are the do all to end all, but why don't we stock more ponds with a combination of pike and perch??

Or who should I be asking about that?

Rumtan
09-24-2012, 05:32 AM
Can a fertillized egg make it through the digestive system of a bird and still survive? Has anyone ever looked at this as a means of spreading fish? One poster here thought it unlikely that it could be carried in the feathers but what about through the digestive tract?

FishingMOM
09-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Can a fertillized egg make it through the digestive system of a bird and still survive? Has anyone ever looked at this as a means of spreading fish? One poster here thought it unlikely that it could be carried in the feathers but what about through the digestive tract?

the stomach Acid would prevent that from happening

Rumtan
09-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Can that be proven? I cant just take someones word for it anymore. What do you base your answer on?....fact or theroy? Corn can pass through a humans digestive tract and can still be planted and grown.

NSR Monger
09-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Can that be proven? I cant just take someones word for it anymore. What do you base your answer on?....fact or theroy? Corn can pass through a humans digestive tract and can still be planted and grown.

seeds and eggs are a little different, have you ever seen or ate fish eggs??? (caviar) I dont think you need to google this one, seems HIGHLY unlikely.

A seed is very hard, a fish egg is VERY soft, little different lol

And have you tried this with corn??? how do you know this??? and why are people eating corn seeds anyways? Or you talking about eating some creme corn and shatting a crop of corn plants.

Rumtan
09-24-2012, 12:38 PM
"seems HIGHLY unlikely" ....so its theroy then.

NSR Monger
09-24-2012, 12:42 PM
"seems HIGHLY unlikely" ....so its theroy then.

i did not google it, so yes its my theory, you want me to save you the hassle of typing this in google lol ok i will look for you. I will tell you right now this will depend on what species of fish, so should i be looking for perch or what

also, are you implying......that a bird ate a fish full of eggs??? or did the bird just eat the eggs??

and you did not answer me about the corn, when is the last time you tried this

Wild&Free
09-25-2012, 08:55 AM
An egg is a single cell with a permeable outer layer to allow the enterance of sperm. It is not a thick hardened cellulose layer that is found in seeds that acid has a hard time breaking down. even if a minute portion of stomache acid breached the cell wall the cell would die. It's as simple as that.

I've tried Salmon caviar and trust me they didn't survive.

Sundancefisher
09-25-2012, 06:19 PM
An egg is a single cell with a permeable outer layer to allow the enterance of sperm. It is not a thick hardened cellulose layer that is found in seeds that acid has a hard time breaking down. even if a minute portion of stomache acid breached the cell wall the cell would die. It's as simple as that.

I've tried Salmon caviar and trust me they didn't survive.

Yum caviar

Treefarmer
03-04-2015, 05:35 PM
Explain to me, why, in a perch polluted lake, that adding a bunch of trout, or other predator fish wouldn't very quickly turn into a much smaller number of perch and a bunch of much larger trout.

Gerv
03-04-2015, 06:02 PM
Explain to me, why, in a perch polluted lake, that adding a bunch of trout, or other predator fish wouldn't very quickly turn into a much smaller number of perch and a bunch of much larger trout.

Rainbows wont eat perch, they don't like chewing on the spines. I believe that there are some people trying to convince the govt that the introduction of tiger trout would be a solution as they will eat the spiney little fellows. There is a hatchery in cold lake that has thousands of them in tanks ready to go but they cant get approval to stock this hybrid species.

the local angler
03-04-2015, 06:21 PM
crazy idea its too bad the gov doesn't have the money or man power to do this. what if they do a major netting of say lake sundance or any other lake with illegal perch put them in there huge tankers that they stock with sterilize them for any contaminates and drop them into lakes that already have perch populations like travers or something? they would have the other species that would be able to feed on them too like pike and walleyes.

waterninja
03-04-2015, 07:16 PM
Rainbows wont eat perch, they don't like chewing on the spines. I believe that there are some people trying to convince the govt that the introduction of tiger trout would be a solution as they will eat the spiney little fellows. There is a hatchery in cold lake that has thousands of them in tanks ready to go but they cant get approval to stock this hybrid species.
Interesting point about tiger trout. Never knew they would eat perch, but I do know rainbows and brookies won't.
I don't thing fishing mom was commending the perch bucket brigade, just saying why she thinks some misguided people might do it.
In the past the govt. ussually poisons a a small trout stocked lake or pond to get rid of the perch (or sticklebacks) and then later re-stocks it.

niwrek
03-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Some people put perch in a lake cause dynamite is way to hard to get a hold of

ghostguy6
03-05-2015, 12:58 AM
Someone explain to me why threads that are 2 1/2 years old suddenly get bumped up?:thinking-006: