PDA

View Full Version : Urgent red deer river, need help

wildcat111
08-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Hey guys i was just invited to go fly fish the red deer river, not sure whereabouts, but this will be my first time fly fishing this river and i need some advice on what kind flies to use, any suggestions will be much appreciated, i leave in an hour or so, thanks again

Darren N
08-11-2012, 12:34 PM
I was there last weekend in a canoe dropped off in the city and pick up at the bridge past the golf course - cant recall the name - about a 5 hour trip with a few stops - best holes are later on. I used my sink tip on a floating line with 3x tippet and the best luck I had was a black and brown Bow river Bugger - they loved it. All goldeyes.

fish gunner
08-11-2012, 12:53 PM
need a. bit more info on which streach you will be hitting.

Liarsenic
08-11-2012, 12:55 PM
For goldeye i Have had a lot of success with buggers and leeches, and in the evening when they start rising they will take almost any dry fly you throw at them. Can't go wrong with an orange stimmy

wildcat111
08-15-2012, 09:24 PM
thanks guys i tryed bow river buggers and caught some gold eye?, my buddy caught a sauger. compared to the bow river its a hard river to figure out, espically with flies, seen a few people usuing worms and minnows they were also doing pretty good, oh well more the reason to head back. was fishing around the drum area, thanks again for the tips much appreciated.

fish gunner
08-15-2012, 10:01 PM
not sure how to break this to you. the chances of catching a trout below tollman bridge is slim at best. not saying there are none, just next to none. joffre and up stream trout numbers increase quite a bit. the use of bait really puts trout at a disadvantage in rivers.

Dust1n
08-15-2012, 10:05 PM
I wouldnt worry about the bait in rivers with browns. If they dont know how to present the worm they wont hook into a brown. The browns arnt dumb theres a reason why only a few people a year see browns in stocked lakes!
The only time i could see a brown striking bait on the bottom would be in fall to protect there reeds and as far as i know there is no reeds from browns below tolman.