PDA

View Full Version : the Fishin' Hole............going big!

Alberta Bigbore
08-11-2012, 02:48 PM
so... I was in the north side store today and over heard that the "Westside, and Northside" stores are being relocated into one big giant store in the old Nevada Bobs store that was on 170st in the west end of Edmonton. I know there is no official announcement yet, but it will be before Xmas I believe.

This is great news as I've always thought they needed a big super store of fishing. The south side location will be staying put where it is.

Very excited for them, always thought they are superior in the city of Edmonton with the higher rate of helpful and knowledgeable staff.

JohninAB
08-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Was at the northside store today as well. Be nice to have a better store as that one is a bit dumpy!

pikergolf
08-11-2012, 04:04 PM
I wish they would up up grade the web site, better listings for fly tying and stuff. I know the stores have a lot but it doesn't translate to their web site, not for me anyways.

hillbillyreefer
08-11-2012, 04:09 PM
I wish they would up up grade the web site, better listings for fly tying and stuff. I know the stores have a lot but it doesn't translate to their web site, not for me anyways.

X2

Willowtrail
08-11-2012, 04:40 PM
They're working on upgrading the website. Give it time

moosehunter3-0
08-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Just spent the last 10 seconds trying to kill your signature lol

hillbillyreefer
08-11-2012, 07:48 PM
They're working on upgrading the website. Give it time

Awww crap, my bank account is cowering already!

SnoochyBoochy
08-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Look forward to the killer grand opening sales

Zanzibar
08-12-2012, 01:21 AM
As nice as a bigger store will be, I'll miss the store in the mall. Gave me somewhere to go when I took the wife shopping.

Pikey
08-12-2012, 02:10 AM
Worked at the north side store for a while, will miss one being there, but it'll be neat to see what they can do with a big outfit!

Kim473
08-12-2012, 04:53 AM
A new bigger store will be nice, but unfortunatly they will lose me as a customer as I live in NE. ED. Guess I will be visiting WSS on ST.Albert trail more often when it happens. Just a distance and location thing for me. Dam! I love TFH.

Alberta Bigbore
08-12-2012, 06:38 AM
As nice as a bigger store will be, I'll miss the store in the mall. Gave me somewhere to go when I took the wife shopping.

x 10 billion

LoL

But my favorite location is Southside, and im happy to hear that it's staying put. The GF doesn't work far from there, so she picks up stuff for me on her breaks etc etc if im running behind coming up toward the weekend fishing trip. Gerry over there is A+ to deal with.

pike_king780
08-12-2012, 07:48 AM
A new bigger store will be nice, but unfortunatly they will lose me as a customer as I live in NE. ED. Guess I will be visiting WSS on ST.Albert trail more often when it happens. Just a distance and location thing for me. Dam! I love TFH.

X2

Geezle
08-12-2012, 07:54 AM
It'll be a mixed bag for me...as others have said, it'll be cool to see what they can do with a bigger store...but it's unfortunate that the new store will be significantly farther away from me than the current North side location is now.

At least the South side store will be staying, and they're only a couple blocks away from the shop I work out of :)

Penner
08-12-2012, 08:16 AM

x3 too far to go for me. The service is good but I know what I need and the prices aren't as good as they are at WSS.

Heard a rumor that a Bass Pro is being built at Manning Crossing tho! That would be perfect!

#4fisherman
08-12-2012, 08:37 AM

I totally agree with Zanzibar. Maybe this will help my bank account. More reluctant to go to the mall with the wife, therefore less trips there.

But, on the flip side, more trips to FH at the new location!

Monster Pike Man
08-12-2012, 09:02 AM
If anybody is reading this that has the option to open a store in Sherwood Park, do it. Your missing out on a huge oppurtunity. There is one place in town to buy bait, horrible selection ( gas station fridge) which stinks. There's grocery stores that sell smelts, who cares... But Sherwood Park has a ton of money with a ton of people who fish, with no store for so many people. If some body wanted to make money, open a fishing store or outdoorsman type store... I can work weekends

SnoochyBoochy
08-12-2012, 09:30 AM
If anybody is reading this that has the option to open a store in Sherwood Park, do it. Your missing out on a huge oppurtunity. There is one place in town to buy bait, horrible selection ( gas station fridge) which stinks. There's grocery stores that sell smelts, who cares... But Sherwood Park has a ton of money with a ton of people who fish, with no store for so many people. If some body wanted to make money, open a fishing store or outdoorsman type store... I can work weekends

I have put much thought into a bait and tackle in the NE/Park area, I feel with all the inquiry and research I have done it would take a pretty big initiative from the city to invest in and/or further developed Fishing/Recreation areas. This would be a very wise strategy for Edmonton and the G.E.A as all the trends are leaning toward homegrown/organic/naturalistic activity and desire from the main populous. Time to rally your municipal representatives!!
I feel like T.F.H's may be behind the eight ball here sadly. W.S.S has seemingly seen some success within the market and I feel like this move by T.F.H is in response to that...however they probably should have done it before W.S.S moved in or at the same time. Now it comes across as a desperate move and perhaps even a last ditch effort which usually really screws businesses over...Perhaps they should cut their losses and use that money to invest in a marketing department/plan and strategically move locations around. Or continue on the same "mega store" idea and position it centrally instead of in the west. Perhaps they are going after the entire west end of the city.
What it means for us is better sales at both T.F.H and W.S.S so as a consumer we are the real winners!! Unfortunately for T.F.H I have found much much better service and friendly workers at W.S.S and that is where I drop my dollars...

I will add a disclaimer that I have no idea what I am talking about and just like to type :D

Cheers
Snooch :acigar:

smitty9
08-12-2012, 10:22 AM
x 10 billion

LoL

But my favorite location is Southside, and im happy to hear that it's staying put. The GF doesn't work far from there, so she picks up stuff for me on her breaks etc etc if im running behind coming up toward the weekend fishing trip. Gerry over there is A+ to deal with.

I agree about the Southside's location, but frankly that store is getting old and tired in its look and decor. No, I suppose that does not matter to me much, but I think its time they considered "freshening" it up. Don't you? :)

Also, the people who commented about their website; have you been there lately? Its VASTLy improved. The old one was horrible (shuuder; I would have voted it in my top 10 worst). Could use some improvements still...but way way better than it used to be.

One thing that the Fishin' Hole does lag behind from a fly-fishing perspective is flies. Flies are bread and butter item for a fly-shop or section, and I HATE the TFH's approach; two tiered selection, with the cheap flies being poor quality, and the good flies are on the expensive side. They ought to pick ONE supplier, carry one uniform, excellent quality fly and charge between $1.25 and $2.00 (yes, except pike/saltwater flies). Flies - both quality and selection - are one thing that keep me going to Wholesale, but lately I have started to buy online...

Anyways, looking forward to seeing the new "mega-store", but I'll shop there very little, as I live in the SE. Plus, as you said, Gerry is excellent to deal with...

Smitty

cranky
08-12-2012, 11:34 AM
I dont really like that they(THF) feel they have to go big. But i guess they have to sink or swim. Too many big box stores for competition. I like the feel of the small stores, like a small mom/pop small town feeling kinda thing.
Guess im just a old retro grouch who has trouble keeping up with all the changes that ive seen in 65+ years or something. Maybe thats a whole different topic.

chriscosta
08-12-2012, 12:16 PM
i bet the big spenders from the fishin hole dont care about the price and alot of them like cabelas neither location is ever busy and i think they dont make much off smaller items and with a cabelas in town who wants to go to the fishin hole for a new camera,fish finder ,auger,etc.... i personaly use the ns fishin hole religously but thats just me :bad_boys_20: