PDA

View Full Version : Boat registration

TROLLER
08-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Just been down to Bass Pro looking at small boats I could haul around in the back of the truck, ask the guy if I have to register a 10ft. and he said you no longer have to register any boat.

Only exception is if the boat is going on salt water or you plan on tournament fishing.

Anyone else ever hear of this?

Walleye101
08-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Boat registration is a federal rule. The only people who can ticket you for not having it is the RCMP as far as I know. I do not have mine registered nor do a lot of people that I know. I personally wouldn'd bother with the hassell.

sheephunter
08-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Just been down to Bass Pro looking at small boats I could haul around in the back of the truck, ask the guy if I have to register a 10ft. and he said you no longer have to register any boat.

Only exception is if the boat is going on salt water or you plan on tournament fishing.

Anyone else ever hear of this?

Why would tournament fishermen be treated different?

If somebody tells you something and it makes zero sense, there's likely a reason. From the horse's mouth:

A pleasure craft licence is a document with a unique licence number for a pleasure craft. The number allows Search and Rescue personnel to access important information in an emergency.

The law requires all pleasure craft powered by 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more engine, to have a pleasure craft licence, unless they have a vessel registration. There is a $250 fine if you are found operating a vessel without a licence. You must carry a copy of your Pleasure Craft Licence on board at all times and display the pleasure craft licence number on the bow of your boat above the waterline on both sides in block characters that:

•are at least 7.5 centimetres (3 inches) high; and
•in a colour that contrasts with the colour of the bow.
Cost: Pleasure craft licences are free and are valid for 10 years.

Application Forms

Changes to the Pleasure Craft Licensing system:
Recent changes to the Small Vessel Regulations have changed the Pleasure Craft Licensing Process. Now:

•Owners of licensed pleasure craft have up to 90 days from the date of purchase to transfer a pleasure craft licence, during which time you may continue to operate your pleasure craft with the existing licence and a copy of the transfer documents on board.

•Pleasure craft licences are valid for 10 years. If you change your name, address, or particulars of your pleasure craft during that period, you must update your licence by applying to the Pleasure Craft Licensing Centre.

Ebrand
08-11-2012, 11:03 PM
There are a lot more agencies than the RCMP that enforce the Canada Shipping Act Small Vessel regs. Go online to get the application and mail it in it is not a huge hassle. Might save you a fine and getting sent home early for not having it.

Lornce
08-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Boat registration is a federal rule. The only people who can ticket you for not having it is the RCMP as far as I know. I do not have mine registered nor do a lot of people that I know. I personally wouldn'd bother with the hassell.

When I bought my Tracker boat this year from Bass Pro they registered it for me (great service by the way).

TROLLER
08-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Why would tournament fishermen be treated different?

If somebody tells you something and it makes zero sense, there's likely a reason. From the horse's mouth:

A pleasure craft licence is a document with a unique licence number for a pleasure craft. The number allows Search and Rescue personnel to access important information in an emergency.

The law requires all pleasure craft powered by 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more engine, to have a pleasure craft licence, unless they have a vessel registration. There is a $250 fine if you are found operating a vessel without a licence. You must carry a copy of your Pleasure Craft Licence on board at all times and display the pleasure craft licence number on the bow of your boat above the waterline on both sides in block characters that:

•are at least 7.5 centimetres (3 inches) high; and
•in a colour that contrasts with the colour of the bow.
Cost: Pleasure craft licences are free and are valid for 10 years.

Application Forms

Changes to the Pleasure Craft Licensing system:
Recent changes to the Small Vessel Regulations have changed the Pleasure Craft Licensing Process. Now:

•Owners of licensed pleasure craft have up to 90 days from the date of purchase to transfer a pleasure craft licence, during which time you may continue to operate your pleasure craft with the existing licence and a copy of the transfer documents on board.

•Pleasure craft licences are valid for 10 years. If you change your name, address, or particulars of your pleasure craft during that period, you must update your licence by applying to the Pleasure Craft Licensing Centre.

Thanks I was positive they had to be registered. Maybe the guy was thinking just a small boat but I sure don't get the tournament fishing stuff.

Whiteysonly
08-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Yup over 10 hp only put a 9.9 and your good to go