PDA

View Full Version : New fisherman, need some help

Scottmisfits
08-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Hey guys, I haven't fished since I was as small as my son. Just getting him in to it as well as getting myself set up.
We'll be going to the Bow river (south half of the city and below), Dewitt pond every now and again, and possibly the reservoir. What are some good lures and items to have in the tackle box? My son is 6 and gets bored easy if he isn't catching anything. But even the wife and step daughter are into it.

Thanks guys

gl2
08-12-2012, 11:03 AM
If you just starting out with kids then I would say keep it simple. Slip bobbers will be your best bet for lakes and res. I would get some small spinners and raps for the bow but if you fish caresland weir then slip bobbers with flies will work just fine. To keep kids interested you need to pick high percent areas so stocked trout ponds, pcr and twin are good options. I really like twin because even the with water really high there like it is now I have a place where the kids can still swim.

Good luck!

Scottmisfits
08-12-2012, 11:28 AM
What are PCR and twin? I'm sorry but I really am new with this stuff. I know a couple of places, but not many at all.

Thanks for the response

fish gunner
08-12-2012, 11:35 AM
good advice in the prior post. the bow its self may be a little much for kids, same with glenmore res. the fishing regs will have a list of stocked ponds in your area pp1 es1 or 2. rig one setup with a sliding bobber, the other with a sliding sinker. bell sinker, split shot, hook in that order. power bait or worms should bring results. with the sliding weight rig use a small hook and slip half a pen spring up the shank of the hook this will keep the power bait on the hook longer. with this rig use just enough power bait to float the hook then use the split shot to set the depth the bait will float up. use a weight large enough that it will not move as you tighten the the line to the rod tip 1/2 oz or better.keep the rod tip low. once you start to get fish switch both to the same set up. tight lines, happy fishing.

gl2
08-12-2012, 06:43 PM
What are PCR and twin? I'm sorry but I really am new with this stuff. I know a couple of places, but not many at all.

Thanks for the response

pine coulee res (PCR) and twin valley res both about the same distance from cow town. PCR is full of stunted walleye and small pike and twin is full of pike with some bigger ones in there. you wont catch as many in twin but 12-15 fish with the chance of something over 15lbs. When slip bobbering if you find the action slow don't let the bait just sit there i twitch and retrieve and it generates a lot of reaction strikes and will improve your daily fish count and keep the kids happy.

Scottmisfits
08-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Anyone have a map? I just tried the map on my iPhone but it took me to Edworthy park and some school in Edmonton. Lol.

gl2
08-12-2012, 07:03 PM
to twin- go east on township road 150 (north of stavley).

to PCR- go west on the 527 (right in stavley).

http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&q=stavely+ab+map&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x536e23de9e5c47ad:0x1cb4467ab01f07b3,Stavel y,+AB&gl=ca&sa=X&ei=NFEoUKrIMMGZiQKE-IC4CQ&ved=0CAoQ8gEwAA

Scottmisfits
08-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks!