PDA

View Full Version : Contraption

Daceminnow
08-11-2012, 09:30 PM
what is it? water flow measuring device of some sort? i found it this evening where the river no longer runs, tethered with wire cable to a concrete block. i am unable to decipher the writing sprayed on the concrete block for sure. "property of u of c" possibly? it would be nice to notify whoever put it there as it no longer will serve a purpose in the location where it's at. excuse the poor bb pictures. any thoughts?

Dace

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG-20120811-00096.jpg
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG-20120811-00097.jpg
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG-20120811-00098.jpg

WayneChristie
08-11-2012, 09:33 PM
pretty sure you have it right. Id just give the university a call and ask them.

Dust1n
08-11-2012, 09:51 PM
property of U of C

labo441
08-11-2012, 09:56 PM
The Taliban are setting up rockets again.....

WayneChristie
08-11-2012, 10:11 PM
The Taliban are setting up rockets again.....

no man, this is obviously a Taliban torpedo!

saskbooknut
08-12-2012, 04:44 AM
Hydrolab is a maker of water test devices like "oxygen meters" and temperature recorders.
The U of C would probably very much like to have this instrument back, even if it requires reconditioning.

EZM
08-12-2012, 05:59 PM
yup u can see the arabic writing in red on the second pic - translated, it says "death to fishermen and infidels"

TyreeUM
08-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Looks like a temperature logger to me

buckmaster
08-12-2012, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=Daceminnow;1557134]what is it? water flow measuring device of some sort? i found it this evening where the river no longer runs, tethered with wire cable to a concrete block. i am unable to decipher the writing sprayed on the concrete block for sure. "property of u of c" possibly? it would be nice to notify whoever put it there as it no longer will serve a purpose in the location where it's at. excuse the poor bb pictures. any thoughts?]

Thats a oxygen sensor used in storm or sanitary sewers. Usually found in access manholes to storm/sanitary tunnels.We use the same ones in edmonton.

Jryban
08-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Afternoon,
my name is Jakub Ryban an undergrad researcher at the U of C, this instrument does indeed belong to us.
First of all I would like to thank you for the update on the equipment, it was in the field plan to move the instrument a little downstream in out upcoming visit this week but it looks like i will have to make a trip down a little earlier than anticipated.
The instrument is a multiloger measuring pH, Temperature, Electric Conductivity, Dissolved Oxygen and Total Dissolved Gas currently.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact my suppervisor
Cathy Ryan - cryan@ucalgary.ca - (403) 220-2793 currently on leave, or me
Jakub Ryban - jryban@ucalgary.ca

Badback
08-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Afternoon,
my name is Jakub Ryban an undergrad researcher at the U of C, this instrument does indeed belong to us.
First of all I would like to thank you for the update on the equipment, it was in the field plan to move the instrument a little downstream in out upcoming visit this week but it looks like i will have to make a trip down a little earlier than anticipated.
The instrument is a multiloger measuring pH, Temperature, Electric Conductivity, Dissolved Oxygen and Total Dissolved Gas currently.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact my suppervisor
Cathy Ryan - cryan@ucalgary.ca - (403) 220-2793 currently on leave, or me
Jakub Ryban - jryban@ucalgary.ca

Wow is this this a success story or what!

Jryban
08-13-2012, 06:31 PM
The instrument has been moved to a new location in the river, special thanks to Daceminnow for coming out to help move the cinder-block.

Daceminnow
08-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Wow is this this a success story or what!

it worked out well.:)

The instrument has been moved to a new location in the river, special thanks to Daceminnow for coming out to help move the cinder-block.

NP.thanks to the members who helped me get in touch with Jakub. it was a great learning experience this afternoon and the equipment is back in the water doing what it's suppose to, recording data. mission accomplished.

Dace

Geezle
08-13-2012, 11:47 PM

Very cool! http://www.madcastgaming.com/forum/images/smilies/smilies3/cool.gif

And welcome to the forum Jakub...hope you stick around! :wave:

Albertafisher
08-14-2012, 09:18 AM
property of U of C

Really?