PDA

View Full Version : Upper or Lower K Lake?

WabbitKilla
08-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Hey Everyone,

Heading out to the K lakes this wednesday night. Haven't been up there before and I was wondering which lake is a better bet. I'll be dragging a fly and my father in law will be dragging spoons or spinners. He hasn't been fishing in years and I want to be sure he gets some action. Thoughts??

Flyfisher87
08-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Hey Everyone,

Heading out to the K lakes this wednesday night. Haven't been up there before and I was wondering which lake is a better bet. I'll be dragging a fly and my father in law will be dragging spoons or spinners. He hasn't been fishing in years and I want to be sure he gets some action. Thoughts??

The chances are pretty good you will see action. As far as which one is the better bet, both are good. I spend all my fishing time there on upper and it has treated me well. Have never fished lower. Some guys prefer the lower lake, the bulls are bigger in there.

m.wood
08-12-2012, 06:04 PM
I'll be heading out that way Wed-Sun as well. This is only my second go at these lakes, and last time caught some nice rainbows and bulls using spin gear. Shore fished near the dam on the lower lake and various spots along the pathway on the upper. Good luck!

Icefisher2885
08-12-2012, 08:31 PM
I'd hit the upper lake if numbers were my goal, but neither of these lakes would register on my radar if my goal was to get somebody into good numbers of fish. Not to say you can't have great days there, but what registers as a "great" day at the K lakes is typically what you would consider slow to moderate at most other places.

Joe Btfsplk
08-16-2012, 08:12 AM
If I might suggest, find a feeder creek somewhere on the lower lake, and fish right where the creek drains into the lake. I am no expert, but I pulled out a 6kg bull one day, two 3kg bulls the next. Sink tip line with a medium size bead head wooley bugger olive, medium retrieve, and DO NOT pull your line out too soon to cast again. All the fish hit my fly about 12 feet out after I had worked so hard to cast as far as possible. I had the leader starting out of the water and had yanked it out to start casting again, and set the hook!! Even if you don't catch fish, go early in the morning and listen to the loons cry. It won't be long before you realize this is the best place on earth.

fish99
08-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Check the regs the smith-doreen crek is closed to angling

Joe Btfsplk
08-17-2012, 01:51 AM
fish99 you are absolutely correct. I am new to the site, probably a little naive, just assuming that most would automatically check the regs first. I did, went to a little unnamed creek that may even be seasonal. thanks for the reminder. :reading:

fish99
08-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Gypson creek holds good numbers of fish. Try it.

Clgy_Dave2.0
08-17-2012, 01:21 PM

Hahaha......Li'l Abner fan!! :happy0034: