PDA

View Full Version : Okay kids...it's time to play: "Identify That Sore"!!!

Geezle
08-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Seriously...I've seen orange-ish sores on pike before, but nothing quite like this...:scared:

Anybody care to shed some light?

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/DSCN0438.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/DSCN0441.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/DSCN0440.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/DSCN0439.jpg

Lefty-Canuck
08-12-2012, 07:18 PM
That pike needs to learn how to shoot better while playing paintball.....

LC

Gust
08-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Eeeeesh, where's you catch em,,, the worst thing i've ever seen wasn't a close second to that.

0liver
08-12-2012, 07:19 PM
oh my dear god. that is disgusting. at first I thought you were dribbling some mustard and ketchup from lunch all over the fish, but that $^&* is actually growing on the fish.

please tell me some bio's can pitch in on this...

pickrel pat
08-12-2012, 07:20 PM
I have the same sandels. forget where I picked them up. Great sandels. They feel great and most importantly they look great. Ive seen red sores, but never so orange. looks disgusting. where did you pick up your sandels? Your toes look well manicured as well..... kudos! The sores dont look like injurys, but rather an infection i would think.

ESOXangler
08-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Nice pedicure!

Geezle
08-12-2012, 07:23 PM
oh my dear god. that is disgusting. at first I thought you were dribbling some mustard and ketchup from lunch all over the fish, but that $^&* is actually growing on the fish.

please tell me some bio's can pitch in on this...

Yep, never seen anything like it and really hoping one of the bios can explain it!

That pike needs to learn how to shoot better while playing paintball.....

LC

No...he needs to learn to dodge! :scared0018:
Eeeeesh, where's you catch em,,, the worst thing i've ever seen wasn't a close second to that.
Caught him in a small lake West of Edmonton which shall remain nameless for the moment ;)

I have the same sandels. forget where I picked them up. Great sandels. They feel great and most importantly they look great. Ive seen red sores, but never so orange. looks disgusting. where did you pick up your sandels? Your toes look well manicured as well..... kudos! The sores dont look like injurys, but rather an infection i would think.

I agree they look like some sort of infection and not wounds. Sandals were cheapies from Wal-Mart last year. I just happened to have cut my toenails yesterday :)

Speckle55
08-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Hope this helps
David:)

http://srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/WildlifeDiseases/documents/Skin_tumors_fish.pdf

WayneChristie
08-12-2012, 08:42 PM
bet if you picked them off they would be awesome trout bait

MartyM
08-12-2012, 08:52 PM
You say a small lake west of Edmonton....

Hubbles Lake or Hasse Lake?

vital shok
08-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Hope you gave your foot a good scrubbing after that.just in case that touched you.that fish does not look good

Lefty-Canuck
08-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Did BBJ give that pike some hickies??? :)

.....looks like he left his orange lip gloss behind as evidence....

LC :)

fish gunner
08-12-2012, 09:16 PM
looks like the jelly things off the old star trek episode. was there a stair well, guy in a red shirt. or a vulcan near bye.

SnoochyBoochy
08-13-2012, 01:28 AM
I am not a bio but my guess is Esocid Lymphosarcoma. The orange color is probably due to the heat.
Hopefully you didn't put it back in the water! And you should let F&W know.

Snooch

ice
08-13-2012, 06:40 AM
Iv got fish with the same thing in angling lake, but it wasn't small spots like that it was one big spot, was discusting

Slowharper
08-13-2012, 07:02 AM
Cow Lake SW of Rocky had a bunch of pike with the same skin lesions last summer. If I recall correctly, the advisory said don't touch 'em and dump them back into the lake.

Slo..

Alberta Bigbore
08-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Yikes......rinse your boat and hope you didn't stick your fingers in you mouth...lol:)

Geezle
08-13-2012, 07:58 AM
I am not a bio but my guess is Esocid Lymphosarcoma. The orange color is probably due to the heat.
Hopefully you didn't put it back in the water! And you should let F&W know.

Snooch

Of course I put it back...the fish wasn't legal size to harvest, and keeping it wasn't my judgement call to make.

I really don't think that it's a big deal, however I know that there's enough F&W folks on the forum, that if it is a big deal they'll get in touch with me about it.

SnoochyBoochy
08-13-2012, 08:20 AM
yeah everyting i have read since the post says put it back and it doesnt bother the fish??? wierd! My first thought was put the danm thing out of its misery, like if you came across a fatally wounded animal. I guess its not the same thing. It does say it spreads during spawning if it even is what I had guessed. I wonder why their isnt some sort of action to rid the waters of disease like that. Like imagine if you will that the fish you caught was the only one that had it. This time next year ten fish have it and so on soon its a massive outbreak. Seems like it makes sense to not throw the fish back regardless of size and whatever. However It could just be my inflated sense of "God given rights" over "Man given rights" hahahah.

Cheers
Snooch :acigar:

trashheap
08-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Have you fished cow lake by Rocky? Seen some gross pike in there!

Geezle
08-13-2012, 08:26 AM
yeah everyting i have read since the post says put it back and it doesnt bother the fish??? wierd! My first thought was put the danm thing out of its misery, like if you came across a fatally wounded animal. I guess its not the same thing. It does say it spreads during spawning if it even is what I had guessed. I wonder why their isnt some sort of action to rid the waters of disease like that. Like imagine if you will that the fish you caught was the only one that had it. This time next year ten fish have it and so on soon its a massive outbreak. Seems like it makes sense to not throw the fish back regardless of size and whatever. However It could just be my inflated sense of "God given rights" over "Man given rights" hahahah.

Cheers
Snooch :acigar:
Did you read the link that Speckle55 provided?

ASSuming it's correct in regards to whatever particular infection this is, it sounds like eventually it will go away on its own. Also, it seems this type of infection is naturally occuring...and if that's the case, what are the odds of actually being rid of it? I can see how such an infection could be spread during spawning time when things are getting a little rough, but spawn time is a looooooong way off yet...maybe this guy will be all healed up by then?

The fish seemed otherwise healthy except for these 3 spots. I've fished this lake quite a bit and haven't seen anything like this before. Odds are I'll see it again in this lake, but probably not for a long time.

Still hoping one of our resident bios will chime in and clear things up for us :)

walking buffalo
08-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Some more info on Lymphosarcoma, including precautions on cleaning fishing equiptment after catching an infected fish, to prevent transferring the disease to an uninfected waterbody.

DISEASE IN PIKE AT COW LAKE
http://www.srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/FisheriesManagement/FishManagementZones/Zone1EasternSlopes/documents/DiseaseInPikeAtCowLake-Mar2011.pdf

http://dnr.wi.gov/fish/documents/pr_lymphosarcoma.pdf

voidspace
08-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Earlier this year I caught a walleye out of the NSR with growths that looked pretty much the same as that except not quite as brightly coloured.

Geezle
08-13-2012, 11:51 PM
Earlier this year I caught a walleye out of the NSR with growths that looked pretty much the same as that except not quite as brightly coloured.

All blistered like this one looked?